iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re-Building Homes Destroyed by Katrina

Started by WDH, January 06, 2007, 10:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

My company has a loaned employee program where they will pay my salary and all travel expenses for me to go to the Gulf Coast and help re-build houses destroyed by Hurricane Katrina.  We (my company) had 100 families that pretty much lost everything.  I will be in Gulfport, MS for 2 weeks, leaving tomorrow.  I have the skills to help, and it is something that I really want to do.  I am not sure if I will be able to get on-line very much, and  since ya'll are such invertebrate posters, I asked Jeff how to turn-off the e-mail notification feature since I would probably get a billion e-mails.   He told me how, but also suggested that I create a post since there may be some Forestry Forum members in that area.

In any event, I may be scarce for a while.  I am hoping that I can find a way to hook up my laptop and stay in touch with the Forum.  I have come to really value you guys and girls!!

Are there Forestry Forum members in the Gulfport MS area?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

Good on ya, WDH! 8)  Those folks over there still need all the help they can get.

I'm not anywhere near Gulfport Ms, but I might be along your route.  I'm just off of I-10 in the Fla panhandle.  If you're travelling this way, I'd be glad to shake your hand and offer up a cup of coffee. :)

If ya think ya might, PM me and I'll give ya my phone #.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Don P

Good Show WDH!  My dad has been down 3 times since the storm and my nephew spent his Christmas break down there with a college group. The destruction even now is still mind boggling. Those folks sure need the help.

WDH

It is getting late, and I need to go to bed  :D, but I am excited!  On the way to Gulfport tomorrow, I will have the honor of stopping by and meeting DanG!! 8)  He invited me in for coffee as I pass thru his part of the country!  Well, Jeff, I sure am glad that I followed you advice and posted my intentions.............Serenditity, I think that is what it is called.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

Yep, all you snoozers is loozers.  WDH is stopping here instead of your place. ;D :D :D

WDH, call me along the way tomorrow.  It just started raining here, and I may have to detour you for that last half-mile.  Give me a call and I'll see what it looks like at the time. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Gary_C

Good for you. Get them to using that OSB so the mills can get running again.

As far as getting online, beenthere told me if you have a wireless card in your laptop you can just drive down the street and when you find a network, just borrow their connection.  It works!!  8)

At least it does when I can get that stupid Dell to start up right.  >:(
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

sgtmaconga

Have a good trip WDH. i got to saw up a few of those pines. the wood is bright and realy good looking. i'll start on them again monday morning. tell DanG about that greenhorn that you showed around last month.
Measure twice cut once

WDH

Ya ain't a greenhorn anymore!  Now you have sawdust in your ears 8).

sawguy21

Quote from: WDH on January 06, 2007, 10:42:15 PM
  I am not sure if I will be able to get on-line very much, and  since ya'll are such invertebrate posters,   
I resemble that remark :o :D :D Good luck, that is going to be a big job.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DanG

Well, WDH came by for a brief visit.  He got here a bit before noon and had to head out a bit after one, but we had a great time.  He got the aforementioned cup of coffee, and the nickel tour of my barns, as well as a look at my sawmill.  Then we settled into the green plastic chairs and did some serious visiting.  I'm tellin' ya, a couple of Georgia boys with common interests can sure pack a lot of yak into an hour's time! ;D 8)

It was good to finally shake his hand, when he got here.  We shook hands again as he was leaving, and that one had the warm feel of friendship on it. :)  It was nice to meet ya, WDH!  I'll see ya again, soon. ;D 8) 8)

WDH

I managed to steal a few minutes on-line tonight!  I am shocked by the level of damage and destruction from this storm  :o.  Seeing it first-hand really drives home what these people have gone thru.  I have another week to go.  I have been installing crown moulding and that stuff can drive you crazy if the walls are not square and plump (haven't found one yet that is!!)
Tomorrow, we are starting a new house.  Oh well, I have missed the Forum.  DanG, it was a pleasure to meet you.  That will be one of the major highlights of my trip  8).

WDH

DanG

Okeydokey.  We're ready for the pics now. ;D

WDH

sgtmaconga

was wondering if you were making it all right wdh. i start breaking ground on the barn next week
Measure twice cut once

WDH

Yep, Made it back OK.  Did you get all those pine logs sawed?

WDH

I wanted to share a few pics from my trip to Gulfport, MS to participate in re-building homes for families who lost their home to hurricane Katrina.  The compound where we were housed and fed was run by the North Carolina Baptist Builders.  They had geared up to assist in helping people hurt by hurricane Floyd in NC so they were prepared to move to the Gulf Coast and provide assistance after Katrina.   The amount of clean-up and rebuilding on the MS coast is still staggering.

We stayed in Global Village Shelters which are 8'x8'x7' cardboard huts or in mobile trailer vans that were outfitted with bunks.  Here is a pic of the huts:

There was a 10:00 p.m. curfew (or you would be locked out of the compound for the night). 

Code required the house we were building to be a set height above sea level, so it had to be set on posts.

The problem is that the holes kept filling with water and had to be pumped out several times.  Finally, we got the concrete poured and could start on the floor.  Here is yours truly (on the ladder) hanging joists:

Then it rained and rained and rained some more.  We did use a whole lot of OSB, Gary_C 8).

And it kept on raining...

This is where we were at on my last day:

The family we were building for lost everything in the storm.  They had been renting a trailer, and Katrina destroyed it all.  The family of 9 people are now living in two FEMA travel trailers, 75 yards apart in one of the FEMA trailer villages.  You should have seen their faces (they never owned a home before) when they saw the new house going up.  Quite an emotional event   smiley_crying.  This had been one of the richest experiences of my life.  I want to go back.........

pineywoods

Heh WDH, welcome to the world of Baptist Builders. I have worked with the Louisiana Baptist Builders on several projects, everything from hurricane cleanup to repairing houses and small country churches. It is indeed a worthwhile experience. My wife is physically handicapped, and I can't leave her alone, so that about put a stop to my volunteer work. However, I have found a way... I have a wm lt40, a solar kiln, and a woodmaster planner/moulder. .I take donated trees and turn them into window/door facing, baseboard, crown moulding, etc. for use by Louisiana Baptist Builders. Just finished a run of 750 ft of window facing and 400 ft of crown moulding for a small church that got hit hard by Katrina.
This way I can continue to support a very worthwhile cause and still stay home and see after the wife.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

DanG

Thanks for sharing the pics, WDH!  It's really still a mess over there, ain't it?

Pineywoods and WDH, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for doing your bit to help those folks out!  It's people like you that makes this the best Country on Earth, and THE Forestryforum the best place to hang out! 8) 8) 8)

LedlieLogs

WDH, thats really cool. I had not heard of the Baptist Builders before. What a great group of folks. Very good job. Isn't it odd where we find wealth in our lives.
Wildlife Action, GA. A great place for kids. No lights, no phone, no motorcars, not a single luxury. Just the GREAT OUTDOORS and the reason I am learning to mill and build small log cabins.

WDH

Pineywoods and Ledlielogs, I was so impressed by the Baptist Builders.  In my last week there, there were 218 volunteers in the compound.  Just feeding that many folks was a big job.  I wish that I could use my sawmill like you are Pineywoods to help more.  Maybe I can find a way. 

Yes, DanG, the Forestry Forum is the best place to hang out!  I know that it will be the source of many new friends and compadres.  Working together makes us better than working alone.....

sgtmaconga

all i have left is the big logs from the first tree you cut down and about 6 of the small tops. wood looks great and pics will start as soon as i set the post and start the hayloft
Measure twice cut once

WDH

It is great that the barn construction has started.  If my crew from Gulfport were to jump on it, it would be finished in a few days!  Between cutting wood and building a barn, you are a busy, busy man....

Fraxinus

My brother and his wife have been there twice.  Waveland.  Most recently in November.  They are both retired and have time to do it.  This time, my brother was building "pods".  His wife is a nurse but she ended up doing kitchen coordinating.
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

WDH

That is great.  Waveland was really decimated.  All the press wanted to cover was New Orleans.  Most people have no idea how bad the Mississippi coast was hit. 

pineywoods

"Never heard of Baptist Builders"

Go to www.namb.net     There's links there to builders in every state.

Ever wonder how all these workers are fed???
Builders do more than just build.   We have a large portable disaster kitchen that can, and did, feed thousands of people per day. Plus 2 constuction trailers and 3 cleanup trailers, all equipped with the necessary tools. Volunteers provide the sweat. After Katrina and Rita, I worked with crews from North Carolina and Virginia with similar setups.

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!