iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pacific Madrone

Started by 333_okh, January 06, 2007, 02:37:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

333_okh

What can you tell me about drying it, and is there a 'best' size cut for drying? The wood is great, but I want to perfect drying it.  What type of schedule are we talking about?

Don_Lewis

Madrone dries well.  Schedule would depend on what kind of kiln you have. But I don't recommend drying schedules anyway. Dry by rate and you will get better lumber. Treat it like Oak and you should be safe

logwalker

What size logs have you sawn so far? I have some sitting in the yard I am getting ready to process but it is a challenging wood from what I hear. The smaller logs <12", went crazy on me. I did a search and found out it has the most movemant of any wood out there. The larger older trees are supposed to be better. Would like to hear more of your experience with it. There are people that are boiling it also. It relieves the stress and sets the pink color. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Den Socling

I haven't dried Pacific Madrone but I have heard it is very difficult. It has a high MC, does a lot of shrinking and is prone to collapse. I would cut as thin as was usable. There is a shipment on it's way for me to try in the vac kiln. Maybe I can tell you more in a couple weeks.

solodan

I really like madrone, it is beatiful wood and a beautiful tree as well. I have no experience sawing it or drying it, but I have a neighbor that is developing some land and wants to give me a bunch of it. 8) I have not cut any of it yet cause I need to know how I should saw and dry it. I have been spoiled with the sugar pine, cause with that stuff, you can cut it and toss it to the side and will still be a beatiful straight board next year, I know madrone is not that easy. :-\

333_okh

Our logs range from 12 inches to 60 inches in diamer.  We have gut a few 36-42s so far.  It was cut to 4/4 and is stickered for airdry and resides in an indoor facility [no sun] with open door vents.  I am curious as to how long to air dry and then kiln.  We can use the MC to dry, but worried about rapid loss of MC which tends to warp.  This wood is amazing, and strong as hell once dry.

Thank You Sponsors!