iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

things to take on the job with you

Started by Dan_Shade, January 05, 2007, 10:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

i'm heading out tomorrow for another job from home (second one, maybe one of these days i'll get out of the "favor routine" and into the pay routine!)...

anyways, what do you guys carry with you?

bands, are obvious, how many?

wedges
splitting maul can double as a hammer to drive the wedges
pry bar
Automatic transmission fluid to lube everything up
gas
water
dish soap
bumper jack
cant hooks

what else?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woodhick

Well if your luck is like mine it really don't matter.  There will ALWAYS be one thing you forgot! :D  Your list is a basic list that will cover most situations though.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

brdmkr

I have been known to forget the key to the mill :D  Can be a real pain when working 30+ miles from home :o

I also take hearing and eye protection, chainsaw, and a grease gun.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

ronwood

Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Furby

metalspinner

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

footer

Make sure  to bring some tools to remove sawed off nails or such. Hammer, chissel, visegrips. A cordless drill can come in handy too.

Cedarman

Food and drinks.  I am really surprised this is so far down the list.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Fred

Extra cash to get back home on . :) :)
                                       Fred
Baker 18M
Woodmaster 718 Planer/ molder

tcsmpsi

Hmmm...is coffee "food and drinks", or is it in a field of its own?   ;D

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Cedarman

Cell phone to order parts before closing time.  If it ain't closing time when it breaks, it will be by the time you get home to call.

sawguy21

First aid kit. Don't leave home without it. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

Just to let you know, as many times as I was told to take the key for the mill the first time I went out I some how decided I didnt need it.  :-X
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Cedarman

You can break the key off in the switch and all you need is a screw driver to start. It has worked for me for about 6 months now.  But mine is stationary.
OSHA says the key must be removed every time a blade is changed.  Got wrote up for not locking out the WM during blade change.

Tom

Just a dumb question. 

Is there a law that says a piece of equipment has to have an ignition key?   Why not just an on/0ff switch and a master switch somewhere?

It seems that most industrial engines are easy to start (relative to theft).  Diesels are the easiest of all.  I know that safety is the forefront, but is there a law controlling manufacturers of equipment?

There are automobiles today that have a key only to open the trunk.  Everything else is computerized.   

brdmkr

Quote from: tcsmpsi on January 06, 2007, 07:52:53 AM
Hmmm...is coffee "food and drinks", or is it in a field of its own?   ;D

Necessity ;D
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

leweee

Quote from: Furby on January 05, 2007, 11:52:47 PM
Define: Small Toolbox ???

as long as it doesn't exceed the GRVW of the tow vehicle. :D :D :D

PS....if it does then it's a BIG toolbox. ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

wwsjr

I take an old brief case with all my manuals, which I have separated into small binders. Most important is tally sheets and forms/material to prepare invoice/bill for the sawing when finished. It is good to get paid prior to moving mill from jobsite. ;D I have found that two sets of open end/box end wrenches from 7/16 to 3/4 usually fills the need on my WM. (Small Box)
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Mr Mom

Take evething that you can think of and anything that you might not need. Then ask wife if you forgot anthing.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

DR Buck

Blocks for under the mill legs on sloping ground.

Extra pair of gloves.

Scoop or snow shovel to move sawdust out of your way.

Set of B57 belts for the bandwheels and head up/down and forward/reverse belts.

Any other spare parts you might have that transport in the bottom of the tool box.

Most everything else important has been mentioned already by others.

For you guys that forget your mill key, I keep one in the truck at all times.   The other stays in the barn where I mill at home.

You also need to remember to bring everything home with you as well.   ;)

I haven't left them yet, but I almost did, so now I always put my mill fenders where I will trip over them if I try to get in the truck to leave. 

I did show up at a job once 45 miles away with no band blades.  ::)   Had the wife meet me halfway with a box.   
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Robert Long

My truck is my tool box, it's an old city repair truck
. It is equiped with a hydrolic tailgate lift, electric winch, heavy duty hitch, fixed tool boxes and even a heavy duty compressor driven off the motor.I use this all the time...I have a complete set of air tools and it's great for cleaning off sawdust.

I try to carry all my portable milling needs at all times including a couple lengths of 4x4 and6x6
for tracks close to the mill.

Also, before heading out I try to send or drop off a sheet showing the client a good way to prepare the logs for milling and preparing the work site for a safe work enviroment. I also suggest he provide many of the tools already suggested, less wear and tear on your tools (especially your chain saws)

Robert

Thank You Sponsors!