iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How much bar on a Huskey 570

Started by stumpy, January 05, 2007, 05:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpy

I just bought a Husky 570 with a 24 inch bar. For you more experienced guys, Realisticly, how long of a bar can this saw handle?
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

TexasTimbers

Stumpy I hope you don't mind if I ride your coatr tails here. I have been planning to make a post about this but it's right in line with your question and since no one has answered yet i thought we could all kill two birds with 1 stone.

After y'all answer Stumpy's question, I bought a 20" Oregon bar at Tractor Supply yesterday because it was in the clearance bin. I bought it for my 345 thinking that after I mod the muffler and tune it in - that a 20" bar will not be too big for it. Wrong? Right?

If it's too much I can always hang it on the 372 and have a sizzler for medium firewood.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

PB Logging

I very much enjoy my 345 with a 16"....

jokers

How long of a bar any particular saw can handle is very subjective. PB is on the money stating that he likes the 345 with a 16" bar, it`s a pretty good match up. On the other hand, if kevjay is doing ROW clearance with his 345 the 20" would probably work just fine to give him extended reach since he would rarely be using most of the bar. Unfortunately a bar that fits the 345 does not fit the 372 kevjay, the tails are different, as well as the standard pitch which is 3/8 on the 372 and .325 on your 345. Take a look at your 372 bar near the tail, if it`s an OEM bar, ie; Oregon in Husky makeup it will say D009. This is the pattern. The Oregon bar for the 345 will say KO95.

It`s my opinion that a 24" bar on a 570 is quite optimistic if cutting hardwoods but certain people have the finesse to run very long bars where everyone else couldn`t.

arojay

I have had a 570 for about a year.  When I can keep it running, the 24 inch bar is no trouble cutting beetle killed white spruce.  I have had consistent carb problems since buying the saw.  Floods while parked.  It's on the second needle, replaced by the dealer.  I'm new to this forum, been logging on my own for about 15 years.
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

leweee

Welcome to the Forestry Forum arojay. 8)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

SawTroll

I wouldn't want a 570 with any length of bar (far too heavy for its power) ,,,, ::) ;)

...but that's just me........ :D
Information collector.

sawguy21

I tried one after running a 365 and loved the wide powerband. The weight and balance seemed just fine. We have sold a few and have had no complaints.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

arojay

Yep, I find the 570 with 24 inch bar is well balanced and I also liked the power band and fuel economy.  I have a couple of 365's that I use primarily for felling, also with 24 inch bar and I thought the 570 would have just a little more punch.  I'm also running a 394xpg for bucking sawlogs, felling in big diameter logs and real cold weather felling as I like the heated handle and wrap.   I also have a 371 that I use for nothing at all.
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

TexasTimbers

Quote from: jokers on January 05, 2007, 11:13:23 PM
Unfortunately a bar that fits the 345 does not fit the 372 kevjay, the tails are different, as well as the standard pitch which is 3/8 on the 372 and .325 on your 345.

Hmm well I probably bought a bar that is uselss to me I didn't read the fine print. It says it's an Oregon Pro-Lite on the bar and the package says Cub Cadet Commercial. My 345 isn't listed on the "For models" listing and neither is the 372.

The bar is stamped:

M 050/1 3  3/8  (Then a symbol for a drive link)  72
200SLHK095 FT

the carton says "Uses 490-700-0006 chain"

Since it won't fit any of my saws 395xp, 372xp, 345, 024AVS, 025, I should probably fill one of the gaps I have and buy a saw that will bolt on to this bar. Any suggesstions? ??? looks like I have a little bit of a gap inbetween those two baby sthils and the 345 eh? But that bar won't fit anything in between those either. What a dilemma. ;)

sawguy21

That bar will fit the 345 but the chain pitch is wrong. Some days ya just can't win. It will work just fine on the 455/357XP/359.

jokers

Sawguy21 is right, it will fit the 345, hence the KO95 in the model number, but you would be pushing the capacity of the 345 with a 20" 3/8 chain. Since you "need"  ;) to buy a saw to fit this bar I would suggest finding a deal on a 359 or Jonsered 2159 and opening the muffler. I think that you would be happy with this combo.  ;D

TexasTimbers

Okay I like the way y'all solve problems. I don't have a J'red so it's a no-brainer that I need one (wink) as you say so I better start looking. Life is too short to postpone a chainsaw purchase ;)

Cedarman

I had to replace my 372xp that walked one night out of the mill.  The dealer suggested the 570 but said it had to idle about 30 seconds when first started.  I really don't see why they had to replace the 372xp.  Weight is about the same.  Power is fine, BUT  seems to use more gas, I hate the position of the stop switch. I can't get used to shutting the saw off quick with gloves on when tree starts to fall.  They moved the switch to up-down rather than horizontal.  The biggest problem is the air filter clogs and is hard to clean in the woods.  Gets oil on it and the sawdust does not brush or wipe off.  The saw starts and runs fine most of the time, but every once in a while takes 2 pulls to start.  Dealer tuned it up after a break in period, and I will take it back for a quick tune up and see if that doesn't clear up the 2 pull problem.

Am I being too picky?

Chain tightening works great.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

sawguy21

The 372 was replaced because of emission regulations and we are seeing more changes. We might as well get used to it. I happen to like the new switch, find it easy to use with the thumb but then I am not trying to unlearn old habits :D.

rebocardo

> They moved the switch to up-down rather than horizontal.

Yes, I like it that way too, horz.

SawTroll

Quote from: Cedarman on February 27, 2007, 07:59:41 AM
I had to replace my 372xp that walked one night out of the mill.  The dealer suggested the 570 ....

The replacement model for the 372xp is the 575xp, the 570 is the replacement for the 365.   ;)
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!