iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut Log - Meet Burlkraft and Stumpy

Started by beenthere, January 05, 2007, 03:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Visited Burlkraft today as Stumpy and a friend dropped by with a walnut log for Burlkraft to saw on his Peterson slabber.
Now if that isn't a classic pose of a sawyer listening to the customer.  ;D  You want WHAT? 

Really not as it seems. Had a great morning watching that log get slabbed into 2½" flitches.

First, get the tractor and see how well it lifts that log off the trailer.

Line the log up just right so the pith runs straight through the center cut.

Set the sawblade down 2½" for a thick slab with spectacular grain from the several interlaced crotch's.

Then stack them back on the trailer for some yet-to-be-announced projects.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

TexasTimbers

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Glad it turned out like it did. That first pose looks like "I need an Excedrin"  :D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

wesdor

Snag

How wide were the widest flitches?  What was the log length?  How long did it take to cut one flitch (on avg)?  How many HP is the mill?  I know one of these days my back will make me quit using the alaskan and get the slabber for my wpf......  Nice job.

stumpy

I'm afraid my pictures weren't as good as these, but I'll try to post them anyway.  This is an example of why this forum is so great.   Burlkraft  and Beenthere spent the whole morning working on my log and when it was all over, Steve refused to accept any payment.  I want to thank both of them. It was interesting to see the slabber work and enjoyable to meet another member and share some bul.. er stories.  I probably could have sawed it with my WM but this was a great excuse to take a road trip and see someone elses operation.  Again,  THANKS MUCH!
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Captain

We've got the TimberPro slabbering accessories ready to go, Snag.  Come on down and test drive one on my new 30hp mill.

Captain

Burlkraft

I got the 27 horse...Is that 30 fuel injected  ???  ???  ???  I like the fuel injected motors.

The more HP the better for slabbin'. It actually went pretty well today...Nuthin' broke and nobody got hurt... ;D   ;D   ;D

And Stumpy did all the millin'....That slabbin ain't as easy as it looks... ::) ::) ::)

How could I take any money when he left me with this "small" slab..... ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Captain

I remember Steve, I installed that engine ;)

No Fuel injection, but she's fast and thirsty.

Need a power feed for your slabber??

Captain

beenthere

Captain
Steve had a great power feed for his slabber today. T'was steady and did a great job.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Fla._Deadheader

:D :D :D :D  That first photo is a killer  :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

metalspinner

I get that look from my sawyer all the time. :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Jeff

Dig the January pics of winter in Wisconsin.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Furby

I know, what's with all those thick heavy cloths fellows ???
Was Tee Shirt weather here! 8)

Burlkraft

Quote from: Captain on January 05, 2007, 07:43:06 PM
Need a power feed for your slabber??
Captain

I might seein' how Stumpy 'prolly won't be here the next time I fire her up... ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Norm

Great pictures and story guys, that slabber looks like just the machine for big gnarly chunks like that. :)

Snag

I might have to take you up on that invite Captain.  I've got some sawing to do for the next few weeks, but we'll see how the weather pans out.  I'll see if Charlie is up for another road trip...

Power feed for the slabber???  what's that all about?

Fla._Deadheader

YEAH ??? I'm gettin too old to keep chasin that WPF carriage all day  ::) ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Captain

Power feed is just a concept...not yet a reality.  It would not work for the regular sawmill, just that pushing the slabber is really work....

Gonna be a project for myself and Kevin at LogRite soon (he just does not know it yet)

Captain

Thank You Sponsors!