iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peavey

Started by Minnesota_boy, February 08, 2003, 06:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minnesota_boy

Does anyone else use a peavy at the sawmill?  I have a nearly new cant hook and a beat up, cobbled together, old peavey with a handle that is a little too short because it has been broken.  The cant hook spenda most of its time in my truck while that peavey gets used every day.   I roll logs, pry the frozen ones apart, use it as a pry bar, roll cants that the turner won't handle, etc. with that peavey.  I think I'd like a new one some day, but nobody here carries them.  >:(
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Fla._Deadheader

Replace the handle ???  I build my own cant hooks. There aren't many this far south.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Don P

I got a replacement handle for my hook from these folks. They send out a catalog on request, peaveys, hooks, tongs...
http://www.peaveymfg.com/logging.html

Minnesota_boy

I've broken the handle twice and the bit once.  Maybe I just need a bigger piece like this one to make the handle from. :D

http://www.boomspeed.com/rmorrison/cantrollers.jpg

Minnesota_boy

Don P,
Do you have any idea of the price for a peavey from them?   I may have to request a catalog.  I'll bet the shipping will be pretty high for something like that too.  

DanG

M_B, I bought a new cant hook, plus a handle for an old peavey, from Peavey, at the Moultrie Expo, last October. The cant hook was under $50, and the handle, under $20.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Mark M

Here are a couple of sources for Peavys

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/view_Catalog_Page.asp?id=1488  for $50 to $70

http://www.baileys-online.com/store/USA.htm for $62

I bought a cant hook from Baileys and it was a Peavy brand. I myself like them the best.

Mark

Captain

Don P, DanG and Mark M are all correct, go with Peavey Mfg.

I got a new Peavey for just under $60 plus shipping.  I think I will drive up to Maine next time and visit them.

Captain

ARKANSAWYER

Find a dead standing dogwood tree and make a new handle for it.  I have a cant hook that I found in the wood while deer hunting years ago.  I made a dogwood handle and it has worked well.  I use it every day and love how smooth it has worn.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Frank_Pender

Yep, that is the way to go, Arky.  I too, make my own handles, only I turn them on the lathe.  Ihave always used Western Oregon Ash.  Also, I have for years, made my own axe and maul handles.  Many of them have been out of our Oregon Oak, Big Leaf Maple, Ash and Black Walnut. ;D   The very bes maul handles are from 3/4 ton pick-up axels. 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Minnesota_boy

Dogwood being somewhat rare up here, I had a friend turn me a handle out of red oak (since that was what I had for a blank).  His lathe wouldn't turn one as long as i would have liked, but it worked pretty well for over a year, until I really yanked on it and broke it.  I didn't have time to wait for him to turn a new one, so I sort of whacked out a new one on the table saw so i could keep working.  Then I broke the end off the socket next to where the point was welded on.  I have a couple pieces of bur oak drying out for the next time I break the handle.  Just hope the handle waits long enough to break.

chet

Minnesota_boy,  I use Ironwood for my handles, it works great. I would asume you would have Hopbeam in your neck of the woods also, you should give it a try.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Kevin

That's a pet peavey of mine.  :)

I am laminating some ash that should make a decent handle for the one I broke on an old cant hook.

Ron Wenrich

We don't break handles anymore.  We just welded it onto a pipe.  It's a little heavier, but it does the job without worry of breaking.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

LeeB

only thing around here that doesn't get a pipe replacement handl is a sledge. LeeB :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Minnesota_boy

Don't your pipe handles get slippery when you use them in the snow?  I find the steel parts to be awefully cold to grab when it's below zero.  Much harder to grab than the wooden handle. ;D

Fla._Deadheader

I'd a thunk them steel handles would be easy to grip up north. Don'T ya STICK to 'em ?? :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ron Wenrich

We don't use ours in the snow.  I don't think you want to lick them when its cold.   :D

They make rubber coatings that you can put on the end of tools.  I wonder if you couldn't coat the end of the pipe with that?  It could also make it orange so you could find it easier.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

LeeB

usualy pretty warm down here, athough we did get some snow the other day. first time in years. enough for me for a few more. the pipes usually are a little rusted making them easy to grip. I'm a pack rat and never through out any good junk, got a whole pile of rusted junk. LeeB :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Jeff

Yup, I can just see us up here in Michigan right now. Gettin ready to tackle a big ole log with a cant hook with a pipe handle. Spit in yer hands rub em together, shrug yer shoulders stetch your neck muscles around and grab on to that handle and get ready to heave hoe. Or does it grab on to you? :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

I dunno what the handle I bought from Peavey is made of, but it looks a lot like Hickory. Only way I know to find out is to chunk it into the fire and sniff the smoke, but I don't think that's gonna happen. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

MrMoo

You might want to check your local Agway store. The Agway in our area carries peavys. No cant hooks though.

You can also try Ben Meadows. Cant hooks are about $60 delivered.
http://www.benmeadows.com

OneWithWood

OK.  Time to show my ignorance :D

I visited all the sights listed above - some worked, some didn't :P :-/

My big burning question did not get answered  :P :-/ :P :-/ :-/

What is the difference between a peavey and a cant hook.  Is it that a peavey has a pointed end and a cant hook has a gripper end?  When would you use a peavey instead of a cant hook?

BTW I bought my cant hook at Woodmizer during the 20th anniversary celebration.   Cost me just $49 (4 foot handle) and has proved to be an invaluable tool - I think my back would break before the handle on this puppy would!
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Tom

See there?  You're smarter than you thought.  A peavy and a cant hook are the same except the peavey has a spike on the end and the cant hook has a flat end  with little teeth (sometimes).  there is also a "pike" which is just a pole with a point on the end.  The pointed tools were mostly used where loggers spent time on the water and pushed the log.

I stay away from the pointed ends around the mill because I know what I'd do.  I'd punch a hole in my foot. :D

OneWithWood

DanG Tom!  I wish my father were still alive - I would send him your post - He always told me I wasn't near as smart as I thought I was :D :D
One With Wood

Minnesota_boy

Onewithwood
I use a peavy all the time at the mill.  I use the point to fit between logs when a cant hook won't fit and pry them apart or start them rolliong.  I use it to reposition logs when they are too far endways on the mill (prybar).  I jab it into the ground(when it ain't frozen) to have it where I want it for the next log.  I'd hate to have to use only a cant hook the way I work.  

Saki

Another idea for making those pipe handles a little more user friendly would be to shoot em with a coat of spray bedliner. I found some at our local walmart and coated the push bar on my pickup with it. The pushbar started out chrome,, but was forever trying to rust up on me. So I let it. Threw a reinforcing bead or 2 around the bolted connections ( tube type ) and sanded the crap out of the whole thing then used a couple cans of the spray on bed liner. As I remember it ran about 6 dollars a can. 1 can would probably do 1 handle. Wouldn't be as cold, or as slick, but might be rougher on hands or gloves. What do you guys think?

OneWithWood

MB,
Some day I hope to work like you.  When that day comes I will certainly remember the many uses for a peavy.
Thanks 8)
Saki,
I think I prefer the smoothness of a good hickory handle to the rough feel of a treated pipe :)
One With Wood

Eggsander

Hey MN_Boy,
I ain't ever tried a peavy, cant hook seems to work O.K. for rmost stuff for me. I can see where it could be pretty handy though. My favorite cant hook came from an antique joint up your way. It was sitting in a corner with a bunch of 'em, I think it cost a whole $25.  8)
Steve

Minnesota_boy

Eggsander,
Which joint?  Maybe I can find one I like there too.  Can't have too many cant hooks.  ;D

mitch

Minnesota_Boy,
I think peaveys are primarily a northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company. They are not very common here in North Carolina. I waited until now to respond to your post so that I could ask my older cousins "What is a peavey?". My uncle sawed millions of board feet of timber over a sawing span of 40-50 years in and around Union Co, NC. His boys (seven of them) helped but none of them knew what a peavey was. I prefer a homemade cant hook and a buggy axle. The buggy axle functions as the pointed end of the peavey. It is unbreakable. Thanks for generating an interesting discussion.

Minnesota_boy

Either your tools are awefully small, or that is a DanG fine log.  I use a steel bar for prying when that peavey isn't quite enough or I DonT want to chance breaking it.

Peaveys were invented to work the log drives that occured just after the ice melted from the rivers and the rivers were flush with melting snow runoff.  You probably haven't had a good ice-out on your rivers or enough winter snow melting to make a good river drive in NC. :D

I thought my steel prybar was pretty indestructible until I used for a rail it to roll a log across a gap in the pile (just one end of the log, mind you) and it bent.  I didn't think that log was very big either.

Oregon_Sawyer

More about peavy's.  I had never even seen a cant hook until I bought two from WM.  The long handle one is about usless for me.  I finally broke the metal part and threw it away.  The short handled one work great turning small cant's (as the name suggests).

I use a peavy all the time I have several with a two good peavy's and alot of brawn you can move just about any somewhat round log.  I with flip 25in half logs by my self sometiimes. (STUPID :'()  

I have used a metal handled one but I prefer wood.  Frank you want to make me a couple extras??  I would like a longer one for more leverage.  ON one job an older small man with a 6ft handled peavy helped me.

Another tool that I have but don't use is a old My Dad said they used these alot around old circle mills to move the slabs away from the head rig.
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

Oregon_Sawyer

I lost the wording in the last part.  It is a pickaroon.
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

Tom

I keep hookaroons on the truck and find them indespensible for a lot of clean up jobs.  They work good to man-handle small logs too.

Check out the "Handy things to have around the mill" thread

chet

I find my pickaroon is indispensable for moving smaller logs. Much quicker and easier than a canthook, or peavey.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Frank_Pender

Sure wood, Loren.   8)Just tell me what species of would you wood like. :P    I wood also  need the length you desire.  In fact I have an extra handle, but you hve to come here and get it. ;D  In that way I could get you here to see the Slabber all set up for operation.  Remember you are the one who forced me to think outside the log to come up with this Slabber, so I would not have to keep bringing logs to you to slice with you band mill. :)  I plan on being around most of the Weekend.  Let me know.
Frank Pender

Oregon_Sawyer

Frank:

I came by Fri. with my new truck.  I looked at your slabber but I wanted to see a slab.  Your truck was at the house but I didn't see you around.

I'll probably be over this Fri.  I'm driving the girls over to the dentist.

I'll dig out my broken peavy's and figure out what we need.

Eggsander

MN_Boy,
it was little shop on the South side of Waskish. DonT go buy 'em all now, I'd like to get me another one too.   :)
This was a year ago I think that I was up there, but I DonT think there a real hot seller.  ;)
Steve

Frank_Pender

I hope it is a Ford, Loren, as the ten foot Bear might just have qustions as you try tocome through the gate. ;D  Morning or afternoon, on Friday. ???
Frank Pender

Ron Scott

I carry my pickaroon in the truck all the time. Never go to the woods without it. It saves a lot of bending, extra handling, and "back" work.

I also wonder about the story behind it since I found it years back in 40 feet of water while SCUBA diving in an inland lake. Its still all original, except that I paint the head from time to time so I know its mine.
~Ron

Don P

I've heard tell of golf clubs in lakes, and last year found a skill saw in the backfill hole of the house I was working on...looked like it met the concrete at a high rate of speed ::). Or was it a lake they used to haul logs across on sleds in winter?

I wrapped one busted cant hook handle in fiberglass. It worked very well..broke just above the patch the next time I really honked on it. Sure looked like a good way to get seesh ka-bobbed. Should have wrapped the whole thing.

jim55

Be carefull  with home made handles.   Years ago i  used a borowd cant hook with a home made oak handle guaranteed not to break,   Well it did , lucky i had heavy clothes on so the sharp end did not penetrate my shoulder, just had a sore shoulder for a while.        
                                      jim

sawmill_john

I'll vote for the bangor rafting peavey from Peavy Mfg. Co.
I just returned from the World Ag Expo in Tulare CA where we moved our logs into position with two 5' peaveys, the logs we got were 22" to 28" in dia. on the small end and 16' to 20' in length, Pondorosa Pine.  A small bobcat skid steer would have been nice but we managed.

john

p.s. I'll get some pictures posted from the show soon, also The Oregon Logging Confrence is this week, All you guys can come by and say hi to Frank Pender, he will be playing and demo-ing the sawmill.

Thank You Sponsors!