iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peavey

Started by Minnesota_boy, February 08, 2003, 06:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minnesota_boy

Does anyone else use a peavy at the sawmill?  I have a nearly new cant hook and a beat up, cobbled together, old peavey with a handle that is a little too short because it has been broken.  The cant hook spenda most of its time in my truck while that peavey gets used every day.   I roll logs, pry the frozen ones apart, use it as a pry bar, roll cants that the turner won't handle, etc. with that peavey.  I think I'd like a new one some day, but nobody here carries them.  >:(
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Fla._Deadheader

Replace the handle ???  I build my own cant hooks. There aren't many this far south.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Don P

I got a replacement handle for my hook from these folks. They send out a catalog on request, peaveys, hooks, tongs...
http://www.peaveymfg.com/logging.html

Minnesota_boy

I've broken the handle twice and the bit once.  Maybe I just need a bigger piece like this one to make the handle from. :D

http://www.boomspeed.com/rmorrison/cantrollers.jpg

Minnesota_boy

Don P,
Do you have any idea of the price for a peavey from them?   I may have to request a catalog.  I'll bet the shipping will be pretty high for something like that too.  

DanG

M_B, I bought a new cant hook, plus a handle for an old peavey, from Peavey, at the Moultrie Expo, last October. The cant hook was under $50, and the handle, under $20.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Mark M

Here are a couple of sources for Peavys

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/view_Catalog_Page.asp?id=1488  for $50 to $70

http://www.baileys-online.com/store/USA.htm for $62

I bought a cant hook from Baileys and it was a Peavy brand. I myself like them the best.

Mark

Captain

Don P, DanG and Mark M are all correct, go with Peavey Mfg.

I got a new Peavey for just under $60 plus shipping.  I think I will drive up to Maine next time and visit them.

Captain

ARKANSAWYER

Find a dead standing dogwood tree and make a new handle for it.  I have a cant hook that I found in the wood while deer hunting years ago.  I made a dogwood handle and it has worked well.  I use it every day and love how smooth it has worn.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Frank_Pender

Yep, that is the way to go, Arky.  I too, make my own handles, only I turn them on the lathe.  Ihave always used Western Oregon Ash.  Also, I have for years, made my own axe and maul handles.  Many of them have been out of our Oregon Oak, Big Leaf Maple, Ash and Black Walnut. ;D   The very bes maul handles are from 3/4 ton pick-up axels. 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Minnesota_boy

Dogwood being somewhat rare up here, I had a friend turn me a handle out of red oak (since that was what I had for a blank).  His lathe wouldn't turn one as long as i would have liked, but it worked pretty well for over a year, until I really yanked on it and broke it.  I didn't have time to wait for him to turn a new one, so I sort of whacked out a new one on the table saw so i could keep working.  Then I broke the end off the socket next to where the point was welded on.  I have a couple pieces of bur oak drying out for the next time I break the handle.  Just hope the handle waits long enough to break.

chet

Minnesota_boy,  I use Ironwood for my handles, it works great. I would asume you would have Hopbeam in your neck of the woods also, you should give it a try.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Kevin

That's a pet peavey of mine.  :)

I am laminating some ash that should make a decent handle for the one I broke on an old cant hook.

Ron Wenrich

We don't break handles anymore.  We just welded it onto a pipe.  It's a little heavier, but it does the job without worry of breaking.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

LeeB

only thing around here that doesn't get a pipe replacement handl is a sledge. LeeB :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Minnesota_boy

Don't your pipe handles get slippery when you use them in the snow?  I find the steel parts to be awefully cold to grab when it's below zero.  Much harder to grab than the wooden handle. ;D

Fla._Deadheader

I'd a thunk them steel handles would be easy to grip up north. Don'T ya STICK to 'em ?? :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ron Wenrich

We don't use ours in the snow.  I don't think you want to lick them when its cold.   :D

They make rubber coatings that you can put on the end of tools.  I wonder if you couldn't coat the end of the pipe with that?  It could also make it orange so you could find it easier.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

LeeB

usualy pretty warm down here, athough we did get some snow the other day. first time in years. enough for me for a few more. the pipes usually are a little rusted making them easy to grip. I'm a pack rat and never through out any good junk, got a whole pile of rusted junk. LeeB :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Jeff

Yup, I can just see us up here in Michigan right now. Gettin ready to tackle a big ole log with a cant hook with a pipe handle. Spit in yer hands rub em together, shrug yer shoulders stetch your neck muscles around and grab on to that handle and get ready to heave hoe. Or does it grab on to you? :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

I dunno what the handle I bought from Peavey is made of, but it looks a lot like Hickory. Only way I know to find out is to chunk it into the fire and sniff the smoke, but I don't think that's gonna happen. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

MrMoo

You might want to check your local Agway store. The Agway in our area carries peavys. No cant hooks though.

You can also try Ben Meadows. Cant hooks are about $60 delivered.
http://www.benmeadows.com

OneWithWood

OK.  Time to show my ignorance :D

I visited all the sights listed above - some worked, some didn't :P :-/

My big burning question did not get answered  :P :-/ :P :-/ :-/

What is the difference between a peavey and a cant hook.  Is it that a peavey has a pointed end and a cant hook has a gripper end?  When would you use a peavey instead of a cant hook?

BTW I bought my cant hook at Woodmizer during the 20th anniversary celebration.   Cost me just $49 (4 foot handle) and has proved to be an invaluable tool - I think my back would break before the handle on this puppy would!
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Tom

See there?  You're smarter than you thought.  A peavy and a cant hook are the same except the peavey has a spike on the end and the cant hook has a flat end  with little teeth (sometimes).  there is also a "pike" which is just a pole with a point on the end.  The pointed tools were mostly used where loggers spent time on the water and pushed the log.

I stay away from the pointed ends around the mill because I know what I'd do.  I'd punch a hole in my foot. :D

OneWithWood

DanG Tom!  I wish my father were still alive - I would send him your post - He always told me I wasn't near as smart as I thought I was :D :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!