iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

somedays,,,,,

Started by Quartlow, January 04, 2007, 11:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quartlow

Ever feel like you should have stayed in bed? Today wqas one of them days. Actually it started yesterday. I decided it was time to move the mill home. since it doesn't have wheels this entails tearing it down and loading it on a trailer. Last thing I put on was the slab bunk and DanG if I didn't step up on the trailer and whack my head a good one on the loader bracket.   >:(  >:( I said a lot of DanG's

Today I set the head off to the side unloaded the tracks set them up on the pad, got the head, almost in position and the chain slipped.
Before it was all said and over it was laying alongside the tracks almost upside down.

Only damage I've seen so far is a smashed air cleaner. I didn't really investigate I went to the shop put the tools away cleaned out the suburban and called it a day

Tomorrow has got to be better,,,,Right?
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Rockn H

Just wanted to be the first to say Welcome. ;D

That's right Welcome to My World 8)

Seriously though, I can sympathize with you on the day you've had and honestly say the next day is usually a lot better.  When you think about it they just about have to be. :D

thecfarm

Don't ever say,"Today cannot go any worse than it is"It just might.Chin up,we all have them days.There is always tomorrow.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Quartlow

Rockn H, I bet we are neighbors in that world. Soon as the lights come on outside I'll go survey the damage.
of course its raining so I'm off to a bad start all ready today  :D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

sprucebunny

I've been having a long string of those days. People who know me, can't believe the things that happen :D I just laugh at it all...it's the only way to keep what little sanity I have left.

Lots of things I take the blame for but a recent stunner was ordering some 1" 14 thread bolts and matching nuts. They didn't fit each other or much of anything else  :o :o

The company I bought them from said to throw them out and they would send more because there was something wrong with thier stock !!! ( next ones would start on but not go very far ::) )

I have been having a very hard time aligning the wheels in the J5 tracks. Turns out the axle in it was an inch too long !!!!

I could go on ...

My sincerest wish for the new year is that someone would distract Murphy long enough so I can get this machine back together ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Cedarman

Remember taking tests in school?  Passing grade was 70 %.  Meaning 30%of the time things would go wrong and you got by.  95% right on a test was a heck of a good day.  And 100 % was cause to celebrate.

Every day of life in the real world is like a test.  We have multiple opportunities to mess up.  If only 70% of everything we did went right, we would have disastrous conseguences.  We shoot for 100% every day as the only passing grade. 

So that is why we quit the test today when we are doing poorly and take a new one tomorrow.
Life is more fun than school in my book.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

TexasTimbers

Yeah what thefarm said. Don't ever think it can't get worse it can.

On the flip side, when things are going great, don't ever think it can't get better because it can do that too!

Here's hopin your day today balances things out.  smiley_sun
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Coon

Keep your nose pointed the right way.  Don't go looking for troubles they'll find you easy enough.  It's just like all the haybales I made this summer.  I made some here by town and then went out to the farm and made well over 600 more  (small squares).  I got just over 500 put in the stack and had the rest still out in the field when bad weather hit.  Rain, sleet, and then the white stuff that is piled on the ground still.  I never got the rest of the bales piled up.  A while back I got a call about the bales I had for sale.  I go out to the farm to see how much snow needs plowing only to be amazed by the sight I was going to see.  There was and still is over 80 head of elk feeding on ALL of my bales.  Even those in the pile.  Don't have crop insurance but am getting insurance through the wildlife act.  I will not get paid for those left in the field but will on the ones in the stack.  They aren't paying all that much for them but it's more than what I would get out of them without it.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Quartlow

Well Murphy must have went back to Joan's house  :D I just came in to get a bite, The only damage I can see is the smashed air cleaner and it ripped the ground cable out of the eye on the engine. I hammered it out straightened the stud and put it back together.

After a sammich I'll go get a new air filter and other than checking the alignment I should be good to go.   8)  8)

Coon, a little money is better than none, besides if it's hunting season you know where they are  ;D

Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Coon

Hunting season is long over unless you are an aboriginal.  You must have a treaty card to hunt year round.  Oh well guess I'll have to use my "call a friend" option now. ;)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Bill

Starting to git the hang of it  - 

When starting the day iffen a couple things I touch don't work - it's time to stop touching stuff. Give it a good rest - sometimes a nap'll do it - and have back at it. But most definitely don't try anything when angry - things break or blood seems to appear then . . .  Then a nap is required before starting over  ;)

sprucebunny

$105 from Ford without new nuts. ::)

breederman

Joan,
   jb weld!  trust me it'll work  :)
Together we got this !

Quartlow

Let me guess, glow plug controller? if the JB weld doesn't work. use a starter relay with a push button on the dash. Get in hold the push button 10 seconds and start it up. On the plus side if the trucks warm you don't need the glow plugs anyway so you save wear and tear on the glow plugs.

On the down side, I didn't get so lucky. The head rides up and down on 4 big metal rods. When I got it started up the head would go down but not up. Pulled the two back rods and they both moved forward about a 1/4 inch. Had to shim the brackets out to get them to align. now the head goes up and down. Had to cut firewood so today I'll get a log on and see what happens

Bill
I agree with the nap thing.  ;D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

sprucebunny

Sorry to hear that your mill is injured, Quartlow  :(

I hope you get 'er fixed up good as new.

I was going to take the relay back and tell them I want one with less sawdust mixed into the Bakelite ::) I wasn't even tightening it.... just spinning the nut on  :o

If they won't do anything I'll go with breederman's suggestion. Thanks ;D

Meanwhile, I got one from Napa for $65  smiley_thumbsup

Fla._Deadheader

Them Ford Solenoids (Heavy Duty) is $8.00 at Auto Zone. We use 6 on Homey.

Got to ask for 60's-70's era fords. They mounted on the firewall ???  ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

sprucebunny

FDH..... This is the glowplug relay on a '00. Are they the same as the other solenoids ???

Fla._Deadheader

Bunny, I'm sure you understand how a Solenoid works, Eh ???  It simply uses a minimal amout of DC to activate a copper disc to make a contact for a LOT of DC. I agree with Quartlow 100% (on this matter)  ::) :D :D :D

I bought a diesel Cadillac once. Wrecked. We did all the repairs and got it inspected. Then, The glow plug sensor-relay went. $150.00  :o :o :o

Bought a push button and a solenoid, just like Quartlow suggested to you. Works real well. Wired it all myself, bypassing the computer relays.  ;)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Furby

Well I had some trouble New Year's day.
Been having trouble with the starter solenoid on my truck for several weeks now.
Did a brake job and it was getting late so I decided to hold off on the starter.
Pulled out of my Grandma's garage and went around the block to make sure my brakes were good.
Came back, parked and then put her van back in the garage and went inside for some food. ;D

Was the last to leave later that night and the truck wouldn't start.
AutoZone was the only place with a 24 hour store and they just happened to have closed early for New Year's. ::)
First thing the next morning I headed to AutoZone and got a solenoid.
New it was just under $40, but I needed it and thought this would be fast and easy.
Cleaned up the starter, installed the solenoid and then installed the starter.
Nothing when I turned the key. >:(

After not being able to find anything else wrong and talking to a friend from the Forum, we decided the "new" solenoid must be bad. Took it off and it wouldn't go in when ya pushed on it, it was hitting something inside.
Went back to AutoZone, and got their last one.
Went back and this time I tested it before installing it on the starter.
Nothing.
Two bad ones in a row. >:( >:(

Had to hurry to make it out to the junkyard before they stop letting folks in and I pulled of a pretty new starter and solenoid and headed back. Cost? $15..... solenoid is only $2.60 or something and he didn't even charge me for it as I was buying the starter as well.
Dropped it in the truck and it started without even turning the key all the way on.
Went back to AutoZone, this time a diferent store and talked them into giving me my $ back. :)

Fla._Deadheader

Furby, that ain't nothing  ::) ::)

No telling how long this Jip has had the starter on it (gas engine). One day, it wouldn't work ??  Got it back to where I was staying, and decided to pull it apart and sand the copper disc. NO WAY. It's all soldered together.

Still decided to pull it apart. Once inside the chamber with the piston, I found a small piece of plastic or bakelite ???  There is NO WAY for that to get in there. ??? ???  Pulled it out and cleaned the disc. Put it all together, and, used a nail as a soldering iron, and, it was still working when we changed the engine out for the diesel.

NEVER found a chip missing from any part of that starter or solenoid ??  HOW did that get in there  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Furby

Well the second one you could push in and out, but it wouldn't do anything when ya gave it power.
It would throw itself if ya pushed on the shaft.
As for the first one, like ya said no way anything could have gotten inside, but I didn't open it to see what was in there.
Low quaility products, plain and simple!

PineNut

Furby, your experience with Auto Zone is like mine. Got an alternator from them and after installing it in a difficult location, found that it wouldn't work. After removing it and taking a closer look, it had not even been cleaned up very well, much less having been rebuilt. Have had other people say the same thing about them. Haven't bought anything there in a number of years.

ScottAR

I wonder what the difference is between a glow plug relay and a starter relay...
They are different part#s for bunny's rig, but they look the same on the outside.

Looks just like a starter relay from a early 80's truck to present day.

If I was a betting man, I'd say the GP relay was a constant duty relay. 
I'll have to dig out the spec catalog and investigate... 

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Quartlow

Bet its not constant duty, I could be wrong but they cycle on for about 10 seconds.

The old ones the relay and the controller where one piece, Are the new ones that way? If not that would account for the different part numbers
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Corley5

We do most of our parts business at CarQuest.  Both Dad and I get good discounts  ;)  Advance Auto and Auto Zone both came into Gaylord within weeks of each other.  Auto Zone is almost across the road from CarQuest.  I asked the owner how the arrival of the two stores had impacted his business and he said for a while he noticed it but then people started coming back with stories of returned defective parts and parts that wore out in a matter weeks etc.  His business is back to normal  ;) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!