iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got a new saw today!!! YIPEEE

Started by parrisw, January 04, 2007, 10:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parrisw

Well, I sold my 288xp yesterday, cause it was kinda pointless for me to have a 394xp and a 288xp, so I sold the 288, and went out a bought a mid size for smaller stuff.  I picked up a new 345-e series, very nice saw, 18" bar.   Haven't used it yet but cant wait.  And another thing, the chain on it, is RAZOR sharp,  how the heck to they get them that sharp, I can never get my chains that sharp.  Cant wait to see how it cuts.

sawmilllawyer

:) Congrats, enjoy and be sure and tell the pros and cons of your new saw.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

parrisw

Sure thing, things I like so far,  I like the external chain tensioner adjustment.  I also like, when you pull the choke out, it turns on the kill switch, it has a primer bulb.

sawguy21

I have put more hours on a 345 than any other saw. A few times a little more power would have been nice but overall, it did everything asked.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

parrisw

cool, good to hear.   Cant wait to try it out.

Thanks

TexasTimbers

I just got a heck of a deal on 345 myself but haven't put any time to speak of on it. I have to make up some chain for it though. The one on it has looks like he has been sculpting iron statues with itut the saw is virtually new.
I know what you mean about the choke and kill switch though . . . I like that design.
Sawguy, I gave up on finding the Madsens article on tuning a couple of days ago and emailed Don Walker about tuning my 372. We hooked up on the phone yesterday and he really took time with me and told me exaqctly what to do. It was easy. He is a super guy! Got to talking about my new 345 after we were done and he loves that saw too. He told me to do the exact same thing to it that I did to the 372 and I would extremely happy with the power.
8) 8) 8)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

parrisw

kevjay please share with us what you talked about with Don Walker, about tuning the saws.  Would be good info to have.

Thanks

TexasTimbers

I emailed him some specific questions about my 372 and my 345, and inquired of certain parts. He responded to my email very promplty with the invitation to call him. I did so and he was very forthcoming with the answers to all my questions.
However, I don't feel as though I have the right to disseminate that information  because he makes his living this way and has spent many hours and a lot of money to gain this knowledge.
He chose to share it with me but it was his choice.
I hope you don't take this the wrong way, I am sure you can appreciate my dilemma.
Why don't you email him like I did. I bet he will help you too!
His generosity will probably result in me doing business with him one day. I need more modding to my saws than I can do myself and I already know where I will send it.
On top of that, he said he would hook me up with some of his dive buddies next time I go to Vancouver Island. His shop is in Nanaimo, right down the street from the dive shop I used when I did some wreck diving in his part of the ocean not too long ago. 8)

parrisw

kevjay,  Yes I totally understand you, don't worry.  I never thought of it that way.  I actually live on Vancouver Island, about a 1.5hour drive away from Walkers shaw shop.

Thanks

TexasTimbers

Quote from: parrisw on January 06, 2007, 08:19:31 PM
. . . .   I actually live on Vancouver Island, about a 1.5hour drive away from Walkers shaw shop. . . . . .

Well when I say "right down the road" keep in mind Don might not agree with me because here in Texas, to my generation an older,  that term means within a hour or two. No joke! It's a Texas thang. ;)

parrisw

Ya, around here, its a bit of a trip, we have close proximity to everything, like everything to where I live here is within 20 minutes!!

parrisw

Finally used the new saw today, man I love this saw, it runs great, plenty of power on a 18" bar.  Its nice and light, very easy to use, espicially compared to the 394.  So far I can't think of anything bad about this saw.  Husky sure know how to make a nice saw!!
Gona give it another workout this weekend.

TexasTimbers

That's cool. I was using mine today too. Mine just says 345 no "e". I noticed that in your post then also noticed you are in Canada - does that "e" mean ecology considerate or something?

parrisw

He he he, dont think so, the e-series is a new line I believe, they say easier starting?? apparently.  Check out the Husky site, it will tell you all about it.  It even has a fuel primer bulb, I don't think the previous version has that.  Does your 345 have it  kevjay.

TexasTimbers

No. If it does I haven't seen it. My 345 starts exactly like my 372, which goes like this . . . .

pull out choke (unless still warm of course).
Yank once . . . .
Yank twice ....... Rummmm . . . .
push choke in quick enough and it will not die, but the position of the choke makes this difficult to do in time so I usually have to ........
    (push in choke)
Yank thrice . . . . . Rummm
Yank #4 . . . . VRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrroooommmmm

So it's 3 pulls total and starts on the fourth pull. First two with choke out next two with it in.

The 345 starts the same exact way as this, but I can usually get it on the second pull because I can poush the choke in fast enough with it. I like the choke and kill switch position better on the 345 nbecause I can usually get it in two pulls.

I don't know if this is normal or not, but I would like it to start on the first pull. that is asking entirelry too much though I know.

parrisw

Yes, my 345-E and my 394 start excatly as you described.   Does your 345 have a decompression valve.  Mine does.

SawTroll

Quote from: kevjay on January 11, 2007, 12:00:55 AM
That's cool. I was using mine today too. Mine just says 345 no "e". I noticed that in your post then also noticed you are in Canada - does that "e" mean ecology considerate or something?

I am pretty sure that e-series means something like "easy-start" - at least it has nothing to do with the E-tech.
Information collector.

sawguy21

The first 345E I ran was a prototype with the easy pull starter, similar to Stihl's EasyToStart. Thankfully, Husky dropped that but have redesigned the rewind to reduce the effort. I believe that is what the E stands for now.

parrisw

Whatever it stands for, I love this saw, was using it more today, cuts like a champ.  I think I will be using it more then my 394xp.

TexasTimbers

Yes my 345 has the decompression valve. But like my 372 and 395 I don't use it. Just seems to start more consistently without using it.

Edit: Corrected faux paus

parrisw

I always use the decompression, I find it starts well, using decompression.  I also figure it will be easier on the starting components.

TexasTimbers

It is noticeably easier. Maybe I should quit insisting on doing things the hard way and accept that sometimes easier is okay.  :)

Simonian

The 345e is a very easy saw to start. I know an old gent 90 years old that could not start his 150 Homelite.
But had no problem starting the 345e. BTW this person has died 3 times in the last 7 years. one time was from a mule that kicked him in the head. the other 2 were from hart problems.
He just wont give up. Takes a beaten and keeps on ticken

parrisw

Yes, I agree, now that I have used it a bit more, from cold I cant start it with 2 pulls.  Prime the carb via primer bulb, pull choke, pull once then twice vvvvrrrrrmmmmm, quickly push choke in, then it keeps running on fast idle, let it idle fast for 30 seconds to warm up.

TexasTimbers

Sim, I was talking about the 372 being noticeably easier to start with the decomp. The 345 I can't tell any difference other than when it is cold it starts better for me without using the dump valve.

Parrish, I don't have a primer where is your located?

parrisw

Primer bulb is on the left side of the saw, middle at the top.

sawguy21

The primer is a recent addition to the 345's. Something else to replace when it hardens and cracks. ::)

parrisw

Yes I suppose it something else to replace, but it should last a long time, I ve had a weedeater for 5 years now with one, and it has no sign's of cracking or getting old yet, and still works fine.

Simonian

and when it does crack it is a 5.00 part and snaps in under 60 seconds.
It also saves wear on the starter rope and related parts. Will worth it.
Related parts also includes the person starting the saw.

parrisw

I agree, its such a little thing, nothing to worry about.  Definitely didn't influence my purchasing of the saw.

Thank You Sponsors!