iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What species is this?

Started by Coon, January 04, 2007, 09:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coon

Hey all I have a branch sample her that I pulled off the tree some time ago.  I was wondering if any of you here know what this is?  I do but you'll have to identify it from yourself.

I did the leaf pic no justice.  Will try again tomorrow.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

SwampDonkey

Coon, what are ya up to now? ;D

Looks like a black hawthorne Crataegus douglasii

• short thorns
  • leaves coarsely double toothed or shallowly lobed, almost hairless
  • black fruit

Marcel started a similar thread below. ;)

Again the buds will be rounded and shiny.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Yep, hawthorne............

I got one that will test ya'll.  I need to post a pic.  Won't be as fair to you frostbitten types way up north, but it will give you something to work at in the freezin' cold of winter in the great white north.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Coon

This tree DOES NOT have black fruit but yes it is a hawthorne of some kind.   The berries are red when they ripen on the tree.  I have a bit of this growing wild on our farm and was wondering is there any uses for the berries.

Texas Ranger

Last time I looked there were some 1700 species and sub species of hawthorns in North America, seems every botanist that ever lived liked to name a subspecies after themselves, but yeah,looks like one of the hawthorns.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

Coon I only chose black hawthorn because it shows it growing from BC and east into Saskatchewan in 'Native Trees of Canada'. As TR says, there are umpteen different hawthorn sp.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Hawthornes are very promiscuous.  They interbreed across species lines to the extent that everytime a botanist saw something a little different, they named it a new species.  So, botanist tend to be splitters than lumpers, and they have gone wild with hawthornes.  I gave up trying to learn all the individual species.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Coon

Well, we learn something new everyday don't we.  I just new it was a hawthorne of somekind. 

Brian Beauchamp

That is exactly what I was going to say...there are so many species/subspecies/varieties of hawthorn that we would just be guessing as to which one it is for sure...definitely a hawthorn though.

Quote from: Texas Ranger on January 05, 2007, 10:53:22 AM
Last time I looked there were some 1700 species and sub species of hawthorns in North America, seems every botanist that ever lived liked to name a subspecies after themselves, but yeah,looks like one of the hawthorns.

Thank You Sponsors!