iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Farm Workshop. What tools do I need - starting from scratch.

Started by asy, January 03, 2007, 05:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murf

Steve's on the right track.

A workbench, a really good work bench!!

I made a nice steel one, 4' x 8' with 4' of mesh on one end and a 4' solid plate on the other. Absolutely indispensible for fixing or welding nearly anything. A steel bench makes arc welding a breeze, you just ground the bench itself and go.  ;D

Mine has a vice in one corner, and a series of holes and dogs that line up to a slide vice, like a wood-workers bench vice. In the opposuite corner I ran the leg up through the plate flush with the surface, I have a little post with an arm and lift on it. Stuff heavier than I care to lift goes up lickity-split!!!

In your part of the world a big fan (or several) hanging from the ceiling will help with fumes and 30°+ days.........
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

OneWithWood

I can't believe no one has mentioned a chainsaw.

Get the best chainsaw you can afford and handle safely.  Take a chainsaw safety course if you can find one.  A set of chaps or chainsaw pants, chainsaw gloves, and a safety helmet with face shield and hearing protection are a must.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

DanG

One of the most valuable tools you can have on your farm is one you cannot buy.  It is patience.  Keep in mind that every one of the tools that has been suggested, and the ones you already purchased, comes with it's own learning curve.  Even the lowly, but vital end wrench, for example.  Used improperly, it can damage machinery, or bust your knuckles....frequently, BOTH.  This causes frustration, which leads to more poor decisions and damage, and perhaps further personal injury and expense.  Take your time learning to use each one of these new tools properly, and maybe consider not getting them all at once.  Overloading yourself can cause just as much, if not more, discouragement than doing without some things.

Lets talk about the welder, since that seems to be a primary goal.  They are great to have and use, but there is actually very little on a tractor or backhoe that a novice welder can repair successfully.  Improper repairs on a piece of heavy equipment can get you killed.  Take the welding course first, then you will know what kind of welder you want, and avoid the temptation to get in over your head.  Concentrate on learning to use the equipment without breaking it, instead. 

The backhoe is a great tool, and I wish I had one.  Keep in mind that it is a leverage device.  Leverage can be your best friend, or your worst enemy.  Keep everything on it as close to the ground as you can, especially the front bucket.  A high bucket, even an empty one, changes the center of gravity drastically, and that thing can turn over much faster than you can react.  Think through everything you do with it, even if it seems very simple.

Not trying to throw cold water on ya, I just want to watch you enjoy the learning process. ;) :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Sprucegum

The most important ttool that hasn't been listed yet : a chair

You need to sit done once in a while and ask yerself "What did I do that for?"  ::)

Also very handy for planning the next step.

OneWithWood

DanG is spot on with his comments.

Must be why he has survived this long  ;)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Mr Mom

You all forgot the one tool that i seem to cant find when i need it...... about 25 tapemeasures :D :D :D always misplaceing them.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom.

johncinquo

come-along.  Block and tackle.  I end up using both all the time for some reason, at least til I got the front end loader. 
Bailing wire and Duct tape, you can fix anything at least temporarily with either. 
walkie talkies.  Good for "Bring me a ..." or "get over here quick". 
Ben-Gay or whatever back and muscle ache cream they sell there. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Don_Papenburg

Mr Mom .  we left out tape measures on porpuse . That is that no matter how many you have you can not find them , so to save Asy the aggravation we did not mention them .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

asy

Quote from: OneWithWood on January 04, 2007, 11:14:59 AM
I can't believe no one has mentioned a chainsaw.

Get the best chainsaw you can afford and handle safely.  Take a chainsaw safety course if you can find one.  A set of chaps or chainsaw pants, chainsaw gloves, and a safety helmet with face shield and hearing protection are a must.

We HAVE a chainsaw!!!

Thanks to the advice and instruction of IanAB, we have a DOLMAR 5100D.

No idea how to use it yet, haven't got chaps and face shield, so haven't run the saw yet.

I did buy a book on "carving with chainsaws", does that count?

asy :D

PS: Keep the advice comin' I'm making a 'wish list'.
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

timcosby

as tom said>>>>>
A pile of scrap metal for making things fit. (don't ever throw anything away.)

i though i was the only one who kept old lawn mowers and bicycles for parts, metal, wheels etc.

Left Coast Chris

asy....

These items may sound surprising but I noticed that folks that move on to large parcles sometimes fail because the amount of work becomes overwhelming and time consuming.

It is pretty important that you get the right equipment to maintain your property and home efficiently and not spent too much time with it.

1)  If you will need to keep large areas of grass down to protect from fire:  Tractor with a mower attachement.   In Spring time the grass can over take you and the tractor will knock it down fast.

2)  Good sized gas powered weed eater for around buildings or rocky areas.

3)  Sprayer for spraying round up to kill weeds.  If you will be doing large areas suggest a pto sprayer for the tractor with a spray bar.

4)  Box scraper attachment for the tractor to maintain your drive way and move dirt.

5)  Fork or brush rake attachment for pushing brush into piles for burning.  Don't try to do large areas by hand.

6)  At least one thing that is fun for you:  Boat, motorcycle, quad, or even a hamock!

The tractor and attachments along with a good weed eater will buy you time to enjoy your land and not sweat the maintenance.  Alot of us sawmill owners also use the tractor to move logs.  If you will be moving logs go for the larger tractor with front end loader if possible.  If you buy a used tractor.... diesel is much less maintenance.  Make sure it does not smoke under a load and the hydraulics work well under load.

Have fun and enjoy your place! :) :) :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

DWM II

To go along with the winches, come a longs and block and tackles, I would get a good farm jack. Harbor freight has one at a good price. You never know when you will stick a piece of equipment or a truck. It also comes in handy for general construction, lifting buildings and such.

I aint too sure of your laws down under, I dont believe their as liberal ( for the time being) as ours but I would also always have a firearm handy. Just like in the old west times, it is truly a tool of many uses. Vermin control, lunch provision, sport, self defense. A 12 ga. with a variety of shot would fit the bill. ;)

Good luck on the farm
Stewardship Counts!

redpowerd

a high lift jack is very handy and has many uses. its rebuildable if it should break, and can be used to push and pull.

another set of items i use when i find im in need of another hand is rachet straps, all sizes. good for holding, pulling, lifting, ect. of course use descretion.

and about tape measures, make sure everyone on the job has the same brand, you would be suprised how 'off' some tapes are. i just keep to the stanleys.

got a farm, eh? good luck. DanG is right on spot with patience, allthough it must be easier to learn on a farm.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

srt

I'm somewhat in the same boat.  Got a farm and am building stuff to move there.  As Scott said, first the building.  I had a 40 X 60 X 12 pole shed put up, and shoulda gone bigger!   However, my stuff's not getting wet or stolen when I'm not there.

The most indispensible tool for me so far has been the tractor with front end loader.  Working by myself, I can do a lot with the front end loader in a few minutes that would take me a day without (like moving a pile of logs).   I bought a late 1960's gas 65 horse tractor with front end loader for $3500.  Spent about another $500 on it and gave it a coat of paint, and it's been very servicable for not too much money.  However, it's old and and shouldn't be asked to do what a new one will do.   

The second most indispensible tool has already been mentioned - paitence! 

Raider Bill

Howdy Gents! BAck from another week in TN.
My question, what's the differance between a peavey and a cant bar?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

DanG

A peavey has a point on the end so it can also be used as a pike pole.  It was invented for use in floating logs down the rivers.  The cant hook has a little flat hook so it can grip a square cant for turning.

Peavey is also the name of a company started by the man who invented it.  I have a cant hook made by the Peavey Company.  It is a good one, but I like my Logrite better. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Raider Bill

Which or what type and size would go the furthest to cover all the bases if you had only one pick?
I do not have any real large diameter timber to cut and will moron likely just be moving logs around for while.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Tom

It's a matter of personal preference but most of us prefer a cant hook with a 3 or 4 foot handle around the sawmill.  I like a 4 foot handle becaue most of what I roll is on the ground.'

Some like Peavy's because they stick the sharp point in the ground to store in between sessions.  I find that the point gets in the way around the steel on the mill and prefer the traction that the cant tip provides when rolling a slippery log.

Thank You Sponsors!