iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Farm Workshop. What tools do I need - starting from scratch.

Started by asy, January 03, 2007, 05:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asy

The question is:

What tools are ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, and which ones are "Gee that'd be nice" to have on the farm.

So far we have all the little hand tools, so lets assume they're a given. You know, screwdrivers, hammers etc.

I also have a Bench Grinder and most of the little tools, like Drop saw, Drills, Hammer drills, Angle Grinder (4") and we're also taking a Radial Arm saw, nail gun and small compressor down there.

So...  What do we NEED?

I guess a welder would be high on the list (as discussed on another thread).

A wood lathe will be on the list as a 'want' not a 'need' I should imagine...

But what else?

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Larry

Since the welder (electric?) is already a given I would suggest a chop saw...or maybe a metal cutting band saw.

Acetylene torch outfit would also be high on my list but you could get by with the electric welder.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

sawguy21

Do you have a set of mechanic's tools, box end wrenches (spanners?), socket sets, pliers and the like? They will be indispensible around machinery. You won't need Proto or Snap-On although they are sure nice but don't waste your money on the cheap imports. A 4"-6" bench vise is mandatory. An electric drive 5hp air compressor with a 60 gallon reservoir is almost a must have too. Don't go too small here. A good axe and a maul would also be useful. Gee, shopping with other people's money is fun. 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DanG

Wrenches.  Lots of'em, including sockets in both SAE and Metric.  The air compressor is vital, imho, because it enables you to get some air operated tools.  They are cheap, but worth their weight in gold! 8) 8)  Several good heavy duty jacks and plenty of wood blocks are always handy around tractors.  You got two of them beasts, so go get a  greasegun NOW if you don't already have one.

More later.  Gotta go feed animals before it gets too dark. :-\
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

woodmills1

listen to all the previous.  Mechanics tools go used but not of of brands.  Junk metal tools only used for the one time job.  For wood need table saw, jointer, planer and chop or radial arm,  get the lathe and theshaper later.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

DR Buck

For the handtools add 3/4 drive socket set.   1/2 inch at minimum.  Working on large equipment necessitates a large set, including a big breaker bar and the matching pipe section.  ;D

I agree with the cutting torch, metal chop saw and welder at the top of the list.  Here's a few other items in no particular order:

Digging bar
chain saw
pick
fence pliers
wire stretcher
pruners
circular saw (battery op)
     or lots of extension cords
generator
crow bar
drill press
screw gun
lots of hammers ( I never have one where I need it)
highlift jack
bolt cutters

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Corley5

Drill press and a bench grinder and I'd get a set of torches when I picked up the new welder.  Gear pullers are also good things to have around.  You may seldom need them but they sure make life easier when you do ;)  Good pipe wrenches up to 24".  I'd start the set at 8"  ;)  An assortment of crowbars, pinch bars etc.  Don't forget cold chisels, center punches and drifts.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Tom

Nails, screws, Rope (200' 1/8" poly and 100' 1/2" nylon--larger as you learn), chain, Cold Shuts, Assorted bolts, washers and nuts.   A pile of scrap metal for making things fit. (don't ever throw anything away.) chainsaw.  Keep a spool of twine in each vehicle.

(you can do a lot of building with nails, rough wood and a chainsaw.)

Electric wire from 20 gauge on up 4.  Electric tape.

Post hole diggers, handsaw (bowsaw).

Having a sawmill will provide you with a lot of building material.  plan on using wood for most initial building because it will be available.

Tub of grease and a grease gun. (use it. The world runs on grease)
Several cases of engine oil at least one change per vehicle.
accumulate a set of filters for all vehicles.
At least 10 gallons of hydraulic oil.

4 or 5 inexpensive tarpolins.

buy your work gloves by the gross from a safety type company.  You can usually find them for 1 or 2 dollars a pair. (split leather and canvas)  cotton gloves catch on wood and metal.

A tire repair kit. Patches, plugs, air gauge, portable air bottle.

5 gallon water cooler, cups (travel cups for the tractor)

25 gallon cooler for lunches

a bunch of ammunition boxes of the 30 caliber size for small sets of tools for the tractor or chainsaw or to carry spare parts in the truck.

Hats!!  Don't rely on caps.  Use brimmed hats whether straw or cloth to keep the cancerous rays off of your ears and neck.  Straw is cheap, light and cool.  Buy them 5 or six to each person so that store inventory won't get you out of the habit of wearing them.

Get in the habit of wearing long sleave shirts and sun protection.

Eveyone one on the farm should carry a sharp pocket knife and know how to keep it sharp.  There is no problem with carrying two if you also need a cheap utility knife.

Learn to use them in a safe manner.

Keep first aid kits in close proximity to all work being done.   Own several and keep them current.

Flash lights (electric torches) for each vehicle.

Learn to tie good knots
learn to rig and handle heavy loads

Never reach into something that is moving

Don't spend more than half of what you have in your pocket. ;D

Riles

I like that. 25 gallon cooler for lunches.  :o  None of those namby-pamby six-pack sized lunch buckets. How many people ya feedin' there Tom?
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Tom

badpenny

Hope and Change, my foot,  It's time for Action and Results!

Don_Papenburg

ONE of the MOST INDISPENSABLE tools is a flat smooth concrete floor.  It makes the other tools work much more efficiantly.

Drill press
grinder
welder 
Greese gun   Look for a MacNaught  Mini lube or Maxi lube  Maxi lube fits 5galon pail.  I wish I had a maxi lube . I have the Mini  Got it at a farm show back in the early 80s  It is made right there in the land of OZ.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Stump Jumper

rust reaper  ;)
the farm doesn't have house yet  ??? so an outhouse is a good tool  eh eh
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

isawlogs

A half a dozen chain holes ,  and maybe a sky hook ,  are things that you will be looking for in the near futur .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

thecfarm

Ladder,step ladder,sawmill  :D steel flat shovel.Chains and straps to pull out trucks,cars when they get stuck.Start checking lawnsales and auctions for nuts and bolts.Why don't you just come on by with a note pad.Be alot eaiser.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

A selection of LogRite tools of course.  I'd start out with a 48" canthook and a 42" hookaroon  ;) ;D  Probably oughta have a one of their logscales too

PineNut

Don't forget electric fence wire. It replaces bailing wire for those emergency temporary repairs.

Don_Papenburg

Hey Stump Jumper ,How could I have forgotten the outhouse ?  That is the first thing I built on my farm .  Brick one holer with armrests to make the reading easier . Raised panel seat skirt for added class.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

SwampDonkey

Tap and die set for threading or rethreading bolts and nuts.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pigman

A large strong building  with  good locking doors to store all of the tools mentioned.

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

scsmith42

Lots of great advice here; I concur with it all.

Asy, I would build a large shop FIRST, as this will give you a place to store everything, work on stuff out of the weather, and secure your tools.  By all means pour a slab; working off of dirt or gravel gets old in a hurry.

Don't make the mistake of making the shop too small.  40' x 80' with a 14' ceiling / eave height would be a good starting size. This would allow you to have a mechanical repair area, a woodworking area, personal item storage area, guest bedroom area, and areas to have two or three projects in the works at any given time, plus storage for equipment, tools, spares, etc.

A good set of cordless tools - especially a drill - are very handy.  Along with them get an assortment of driver bits, drills, etc (these are usually sold in a kit). 

You will want several solid work benches, and shelving units.  A sink (with hot water) and a parts washer are also helpful.  Your own fuel tanks (500 gallon gas and diesel) are also very handy to have on the farm.  Getting around on the farm I use a Polaris Ranger - probably the single most used vehicle we have.  4-wheelers are almost as handy.

I also have two farm trailers that we built by taking an old utility bed from a pickup, and an old welding supply company bed, and sticking them on frames.  The small one has a generator and compressor on it, the large one has the portable welder and accessories on it, and tools and supplies, etc get stored in their bins.  Very handy to be able to take them where you need to work, and then be able to secure your tools out of the weather.

Probably the most versatile tool that I have is a 60' articulating manlift.  It doubles as a crane, and allows me to sink poles for pole barns, set rafters, work on the sides of buildings, etc.  My wife claims that it's worth ten farm workers!

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

asy

Wowwee Thanks Guys!

Keep the info coming!

We have 2 shipping containers on the farm already, one's waterproof, the other's unintentionally perforated. All the good stuff goes in the good one, it's kept locked. The other one's mostly empty at the moment, but I plan to fix it at some stage... Much later.

My LOGRITE Cant hook is ON IT'S WAY!!!  Don't forget, I was the first person on here to put my hand up when the offer of  pink tools came up, and Amberwood picked it up for me while he was in USA. It should be here in a couple of days!!!

I have a few hammers, and general chippy type stuff, coz I do house renovations once in a while, so have lots of that stuff, have absolutely NO Mechanic-y type stuff, coz I've never done that...  I'll learn though, I'm sure.

Don, I agree with you about the Concrete floor, nothing beats a good solid LEVEL floor!

asy :D

Scott, Thanks for the advice again, Do you have any photos of your manlift?
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Furby

What Scott said about having taller shop walls is a REALLY good idea.
More so if you plane to bring equipment inside to work on.
If you were to have a living area in it as well, you can use the space above for shop storage. ;)

scsmith42

Asy - you're most welcome!

Here are a couple of pix of the manlift:

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Corley5

In that new shop you'll want an extra strong I-beam to attach a chainfall on a roller for lifting and moving heavy heavy stuff.  A system along these lines could be pretty elaborate or just a chainfall hanging from chain over a heavily reinforced ceiling member.  Either way a shop needs one  :)

Thank You Sponsors!