iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Air Dried Bald Cypress - Amount of movement?

Started by PC-Urban-Sawyer, January 03, 2007, 10:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PC-Urban-Sawyer

How much "movement" (difference in width across the face of the board throughout the year) should be anticipated in 5/4 bald cypress flooring/decking if the lumber is properly air dried to 11% before use and if all surfaces are finished with an oil-based product prior to installation as t&g flooring on a covered (but not enclosed) porch? I'd like to use 6" wide boards but am willing to drop back to 4" if it will make a significant difference.

The location is in the Panhandle of Florida but not directly on the coast (approximately two miles inland).

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Don P

http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/shrinkulator.htm

That link takes you to a good shrinkage calculator, there is a link there to an emc page also.
Narrower width doesn't change the overall shrinkage per foot but does reduce the gap per board. For me the 6" would be fine

ellmoe

I think that you will find that the moisture content in the lumber used in a covered porch will equalize to 12-15% over time. You should be in good shape.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Thank You Sponsors!