iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A nose for trees

Started by Jeff, May 27, 2002, 04:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sprucegum

:D  :D The longer you can be childish the longer it takes to get old  ;)

nas

:D :D And your wife is so mature she didn't laugh at all. >:(
P.S.  My wife thought it was hilarious :D :D

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Mooseherder

That is a Million dollar tree on Ebay. :)

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Magicman

I may be childish also, but I did get a chuckle out of that tree butt.   :D :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Coon

I think that tree was a plumber in it's previous life.   :D 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Burlkraft

Quote from: Coon on April 28, 2011, 01:15:53 AM
I think that tree was a plumber in it's previous life.   :D 

:D :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

isawlogs

I was going to saye that I have a sister in law that resembles that somewhat but guess I best just keep that to myself  shouldn't I now.  ;D :D :-X
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

My wife said that it looked like a butt!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

woodsy

My wife said, now that cracks me up  :D
LT40HDG38, Logrite T36 log arch, 42 hp Kubota, 6 foot cross cut saw, lots of axes and not enough time

Ron Scott

In a tiny corner of western Poland a forest of about 400 pine trees grow with a 90 degree bend at the base of their trunks - all bent northward. Surrounded by a larger forest of straight growing pine trees this collection of curved trees, or "Crooked Forest," is a mystery.

~Ron

Tom

:D  No mystery to me.  That is crop circle stuff.  :D :D

I'll bet someone ran over the whole bunch of them when they were a bit past the seedling stage and they were broken at the base.  :-\

Sprucegum

:) Where else would a Cossack park his saddle?

If they are all facing North; what time was the picture taken?  ???

Ianab

I've seen one or 2 trees like that, when a sapling has been knocked over then curves up to grow "straight" again.

But never seen a whole forest of them....

Freak wind storm laid them all over when they were only 3 or 4 ft tall?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Tom

Sprucegum
If you are looking at the shadows, you have to understand that the sun is down here in Florida and Poland is way up north on the other side of the ocean.  So that means that the sun is a long ways south of Poland and that Florida is in the direction of the left side of the photo.  North is to the right.  :P

Now, if Poland had a sun, then  North would still be to the right 'cause that is the way the trees are facing.  :-\

The picture had to have been taken late in their afternoon or the sun wouln't be up in Florida yet.

SwampDonkey

I've see a whole field of red pine get broken down by ice when they were only 3 feet tall. Probably 25 acres.

Also, aspen damage from snow load, when the snow melts out and slumps from a huge drift it breaks down the stems. I've had them look like those tree buts in a couple sections. Not as much sweep though.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Sprucegum

:D Being Northwest of most Poles myself; I figured it was about 4:00 in the afternoon.

Coon

There are crooked trees northwest of Saskatoon, Sask. too.  The crooked trees here are a bit different than those ones however but are still crooked nonetheless.   :D  Take a look at this website and you'll see what I mean.  

http://www.pbase.com/sjvucko/crooked

I wonder how many board feet worth of nice straight lumber there is in this grove?   :D  Not even 50 feet away from this grove the trees are straight as an arrow.  ???

WDH

Has to be ancient tree art.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Coon

These crooked trees I posted have been growing there for many years naturally.  The oldtimers have said the trees were there like this when they were young and were actually about the same size then as they are now. ???

SwampDonkey

Too much chokecherry wine, the source of alien urine. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Troublermaker

Coon
My old boss use to say that a circular saw would strighen any log but I don't think he was talking about any thing like that.

Coon

:D  Coulda been the chokecherries but then it coulda also been that dandelion wine too.  ;) 

About the only thing that could straighten those logs out would be a chainsaw cutting them into shorter pieces for the campfire.   :D

cutterboy

Hi everybody. 

I have a few trees in my woods that are unusual. Yesterday I took pictures of a couple of them. The first is a white birch that at some time must have been uprooted and blown over but it kept right on growing, curving back up as it did. As you can see a crack has opened up in the base and through the bend. That crack is more than two inches wide in some places.

The other tree is a red oak that has a big ugly slanted base, but then turns into a straight tall and beautiful tree.

I don't know what happened to the oak to make it grow like that, but I wonder if the base of it would have interesting grain patterns if I sawed it on my mill.

Ralph
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Banjo picker

When you see a tree that don't fit the norm, put a picture of it here...These first two are in a park in the small town of Paden Mississipi...

This is a willow oak grabbing hold of a larger cedar

This is a red oak that has self grafted itself back together above the fork, but has not completedly grown together yet.

you got a view from both sides  of the tree...I wonder how many people walk right be it and never notice it...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!