iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

camphor logs

Started by getoverit, January 02, 2007, 10:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

getoverit

I just got my first camphor logs in the lot, but havent cut them up yet as I have other logs in line in front of them. I just wondered if they were worth my time to cut them up and if anyone has made anything out of camphor wood?
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Tom

Yes, camphor wood is pretty.  It's generally an even brown color but has grain modest grain figure.
It is more popular with turners than furniture makers around here.   It 's one of those woods that will sit in your shop for years until the right man comes along and then you won't have enough.

Some of the pen turning bunch might like some of it.

Stack the wood and dispose of the sawdust and slabs somewhere besides near the house.  The whole area will smell like VICKS Vapor Rub for  months.

Fla._Deadheader

Ahhh yes,  the Medicine tree.  ;D  We had one given to us in Welaka. It wasn't big. Found out that Turners and Carvers love the stuff. It works up real well.

We took some sawdust and sprinkled it around our tent. Keeps the Skeeters at bay.  :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Don P

There's a couple of camphor kists (chests) in my wife's family. The first was bought over in Indonesia. The top has a deep relief carving of a fishing scene. A second was bought some years ago to keep "begets" happy. If you come up with enough wide 4/4 & 8/4 for a chest or chests I would be interested in some, there's more grandkids  ;D

dail_h

I'de like ta have some sawdust,or small chunks ta stick in closets,dresser drawers ect.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Thank You Sponsors!