iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Equipment trouble anyone?

Started by adirondack harvester, January 02, 2007, 10:33:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adirondack harvester

Well the Christmas work week was going so well for me until this past Saturday.  I had just arrived and was clearing the path to pull the last two pine trees of the day out.  I stopped the motor to get off and survey the best skid route-- the fatal error!  I then attempted to restart the motor turned the key pushed the button and nothing happened.  Suddenly my productive skidder turned into a 12000lb hunk of steel going nowhere fast.  I believe the starter is gone so I pulled it out as darkness and temperature fell.  I hope to get the starter back in working order soon since the old girl is probably pretty lonely 1/4 mile back in the bush.   Anyone else have equipment trouble lately?

Ed_K

Last yr was a new clutch,pressure plate an throw out bearing on the landing. Then early fall (before the rain) replaced a driveshaft universal 3/4 mi out.Walking out and back in with tool is a hassle (no 4 wheeler anymore). Then steering cylinder pins and bushings in nov. I hope to go the 07 season with no down time  :D .
Ed K

Corley5

Yup  ::)  Read asy's backhoe thread  ;)  Luckily I was unloading at the landing when the trouble hit.  Without hydraulics on an Iron Mule you don't have much  ;) ;D  This repair isn't gonna miss a grand by very far  :(
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Cedarman

Running our 277 Cat skidsteer with rubberized tracks over rough terrain and carrying a 1500 pound sheer and sometimes a 4000 pound tree puts a huge strain on the tracks.  I broke both axles this fall about 200 yards from the road. Luckily had 2 other skid steers to help carry equipment and lift the Cat.  Was a full day job for 3 people to get the old ones off and the new ones on.  Luckily didn't tear the hydraulic lines apart, but it gives you a funny feeling trying to turn and it won't turn and you look to the side and see the track about a foot farther out than it should be.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Weekend_Sawyer

Hey Bradstr,

You can check that starter before you pull it by running a jumper cable from the hot on your battery to the terminal on the starter. It should spark and then spin. If the solenoid is located on the starter just cross the small + wire to the large wire.

Please remember to always be careful when doing things like this. Machine in neutral, parking brake on.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

adirondack harvester

Hey Bradstr,

You can check that starter before you pull it by running a jumper cable from the hot on your battery to the terminal on the starter. It should spark and then spin. If the solenoid is located on the starter just cross the small + wire to the large wire.

Please remember to always be careful when doing things like this. Machine in neutral, parking brake on.

Jon

Yup, jumped it across the solenoid and nothing happened.  That's why I pulled it.  Deader than a door nail.

OneWithWood

Is it possible to own and use equipment and not have trouble?  :-\
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Weekend_Sawyer

;D ;D Yea, Don't use it  :D :D

Corley5

But have you noticed that stuff breaks 4PM Friday at the start of a long holiday weekend ??? ::) :)

woodmills1

actually ifin ya don't use stuff it usually breaks when you do. >:(
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Bill

Quote from: Corley5 on January 03, 2007, 06:30:49 PM
But have you noticed that stuff breaks 4PM Friday at the start of a long holiday weekend ??? ::) :)

. . .  esp when promised something'd be done first thing Monday -

chet

You guys been buyin' yer stuff from da wrong dealers.  ;)  Da guys I buy from always claim there stuff don't break down.   :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Weekend_Sawyer

I never heard Walmart say that!  ;D

Cedarman

Weekend_Sawyer, weren't that supposed to be posted in the funny section.
Sorry, the fact section. :D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

fuzzybear

Only problem I've had this year was a Grizzly decided to use the Skid truck for a punching bag.  Amazing what a 400lb bear can do to a 1955 chevy 1 ton :D
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Furby

What ya do, leave some food inside?

Corley5

No bear problems here especially at this time of year but other problems abound  ::) ::)  Got the Iron Mule back together and everything works as it should.  Hauled 7 loads with it yesterday and 1 and a 1/2 today when I noticed that something wasn't right with the loader mast  :(  Apparently the shaft is broken inside the head where the boom and cylinder pins to it.  All that kept it from falling off was the lip that rides on the top collar was under a piece of the backing plate  8)  So we tear it down tomorrow after the truck comes for a load.  Might need it there to assist the truck.  My 372 apparently smoked a piston today.  Just quit in the middle of a cut with no warning and now there's no compression.  At all  ::)  I'm expecting a hole in the top of the piston.  Gonna drop it at the saw shop for diagnosis when I pick up my new 2171 Jonsered  8)  That was the one bright spot in my day when I was able to wrangle a pretty good deal on it.  If you use stuff it eventually breaks.  Especially equipment that's old in the first place.  Still better than a huge payment to worry about  ;) ;D

farmerdoug

Corley,

The new stuff breaks down too.  And being under warranty means you have to wait for the dealer to fix it.

The Peter Bros are big time farm operators around here.  They work around 20,000 acres.  Last year one of their new JD tractors just quit running when chisel plowing in the fall.  They pulled it ahead and hooked on another tractor and chiseled plowed around the dead one.  It sat in the field for three weeks before the JD dealer came out to fix it.  They knew right away what was wrong with it but had to order a special order part for it.

The problem?  A board in the computer system fried, a common problem I hear, and they new one had to be make just for the tractor.  The costs of the board was 6200.00 dollars and labor for an hour to pull the bad one and plug in the new one. ::)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

PineNut

I know what you mean farmerdough about those electronic parts smoking. A 25 cent part goes bad on a board that cost the manufacture $62 to make and they sell it for an outrageous price. Of course they make you wait for it. I have had the same problem two times in the past four years with the Carrier air handler for my house. It took me longer than three weeks also. Previous unit without all the electronic gadgets lasted about a quarter century with out problems.

Sawyerfortyish

Around here we buy old used farm equipment. You hook it to your tractor and all your troubles are behind you ::)

farmerdoug

We do that here too. ;)  But you do not do that if you are working around 20,000 acres of land each year. ::)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

timberjack240

right now i work for pap in the summer and a saturday or to inn the winter . my plan is to go full time when i get outta school in a few weeks but anyway since the summer of 04 i beleive it was i had the injectors go out 2 weeks later the clutch went out another 2 weeks a roller came off the cam and come thoough the block. while we were watin for a new 453 we tore the t case out to have barakes put it put center pins in did sum weldin shimmed the front end rebiult cylinders and fixed brakes on the other skidder. the next summer all that went wrong was a hose blew that winter i busted the brake fittin on the 225 and the followinn summer i tore the clutch out again.... and you ask if equipment breakes  :D
oh yea then theres the noraml stuff liek breakin ckoers and chains and cables which for a while the cables got to be at least once sometime up to 3 times a week
i can fix a cable myslef in 5 mintues  ;D
happy skiddin
timberjack 240

Ron Scott

Loggers become use to equipment trouble as "part of the job". The job I was on yesterday had a filter frozen on the timberjack cable skidder and one of the rear wheels wouldn't pull, broken axel or shaft.

Then the Western Star semi was late getting in for a load of sawlogs, broken air hose. Another weekend to work to make up for the "down time". ::)
~Ron

simonmeridew

My experience with things like the starter going bad is that once you get the starter fixed, other parts get jealous and want to get fixed, like all of a sudden the radiator starts leaking, the alternator stops alternating etc.
How do the parts know?
simonmeridew
Kubota L4400, Farmi 351

timberjack240

i think they get mad cause they get hit with tools when you get mad and thats there way of gettin even  ;D   ;D  :D

Thank You Sponsors!