iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you cut a log longer than 20 ft. on a standard Woodmizer LTHD40 bed ?

Started by Robert Long, January 01, 2007, 10:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Long

Hello; I often have a hardwood log longer than the standard 20 ft. bed and for 1 reason or another I am asked to cut it using the Woodmizer LTHD 40 mill.   I do know the toeboard rollers are used but which way is the best or is there a proceedure to follow.
This is my first posting so I hope I get this right 'also' !javascript:void(0);

pigman

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Robert Long

Hello Pigman;
Thanks for the info and I have already viewed and studied the help note!  This is fast!!!
Thanks again.

Robert

brdmkr

Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

dewwood

Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

pigman

Robert, I forgot to welcome you to the forum. I have a one track mind and most of the time it is off the track. ::)

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

TexasTimbers

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

footer

I have also done it with a log that doesn't have enough taper to do it as shown in the earlyer post, or if you do not have roller towboards and don't want to or cant roll the log back and forth. This is what I did.
I put the log on with the big eng positioned so you can just get the saw blade past it on the entry end with the small end sticking out the other end. Then block up the small end to roughly get the heart centered with the level of the blade.  On the big end I make some referance marks as tho the size I want the finished cant to be, set the blade on the top mark, and adjust the 4/4 scale to the top mark, then raise the head up in 4/4 increments to your first cut. Start sawing out boards until you get down to where you want the cant to be squared up. On the small end, you need to take a chain saw and cut the boards off where the mill runs out of travel.  Turn the log and repeat process on all 4 sides.  After it is squared up, move the cant over and square up the small end.  The biggest problem here is to not cut into the finished cant with the chainsaw.

Robert Long

Hello footer;

Thanks for the explanation on cutting a long log.  I like this method as well as I tend to try cutting logs having the large end at the entry end of the mill especially when oversized diameter logs are being cut.

I now look forward to visiting this site to read what mill friends have to say!

Robert

LOGDOG

Welcome aboard Robert. Good luck with the long log. Have any good Jumbo Perch lakes up by you in Ontario?  :) Look forward to your posts.

LOGDOG

Robert Long

Logdog;

We are surrounded by the great lakes and live very near the shores of Lake St. Clair but little pirch
Thanks for the post!
Robert

Xeno

Bob,
  How's it going?  This is Tony LaVigne!  I want to buy a Wood-Mizer or it's equivalent and eventually build a Timber Frame home.
Give me some pointers please!
Thanks
Tony

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

jmouton

so we cut 4 ,    25 ft logs on our lt-25,   we cut then pushed the log down with tractor to finish cut ,it wasnt the perfect cant ,let alone perfectly square , lots of sag on end,  even with tractor holding it up , hard to get perfectly level , you know,,  but the customer was happy,,,,,,,,,,,,,so  footer , let me get this straight you set log on mill and you cut 4 sides ,  and then move log down and then finish cutting the other 4 sides ,,,,or did i not read it right ,,,
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Ga Mtn Man

This thread is tens years old!  You guys should probably start a new one with your questions.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

LeeB

What fun would that be?  :D
A little searching would get a few more threads too. There are several on the subject.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

jmouton

lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

DanMc

What's wrong with an old thread?   It shows that the same issue pertains over a long period. 
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

Kbeitz

Some of use would never get to read it of someone would not have dug it up again...
I'm happy to read a post no matter how old it is...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

CMI80

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and read this newly posted to "old thread". Thought it would make a good first post for me since it was also Bob's first  post back in 2007 ! I also cut my first three over length logs last week. I cut to the end of the mill, backed the band up a few feet and cut the slab wood off carefully with the chainsaw. Then used the toe board rollers to move the log down the mill. Leveled and squared everything back up and completed the cut. Timbers turn out good but was a slow process.       

I have been following along on the forum for quite awhile and learned alot.

Thanks to all,

Steve

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

slider

Welcome Robert and cmi80

Years ago Customsawyer taught me how to saw up out of the cut just before getting to the end.It is much easier if you have roller toe boards.Just don't take a big bite each time .It is much easier and faster than using a chain saw.Also have some type of support on the over hang.

Jake always said if you have the sparks flying ,you are cutting a bit too fat.
al glenn

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!