iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

So...What size saw do I need?

Started by scgargoyle, January 01, 2007, 07:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scgargoyle

I finally got up to SC to see what we had bought. 7 acres of mixed hardwoods- but I'm still trying to identify them. From the leaves, it is mostly white and red oak. A few hickories, and then some I couldn't identify. I didn't bother w/ a real timber survey, but the biggest trees are 24" DBH, with a fair number between 12" and 24", with long, straight trunks. I'll be buying a saw before my next trip up there, and I'm wondering what to go with. I had planned on a decent 20", such as an MS 361, or maybe a Husky 357XP. Will these be big enough? There will be a lot of cutting at first, then annual firewood and clean-up work. I only want to buy one saw, so I'd rather have to work at the occasional big tree than lug a monster saw around for all the others, plus limbing and bucking once felled. Any suggestions?
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

4woody

Kevin

Something between 60 and 75cc would be my choice.

blaze83

my vote would be for a stihl 440 with a 24" or 28" bar. I run one with a 28 and love it, plenty of power for the bigger stuff and not super heavy.  I like the 28" bar for limbing 'cause I don't have to bend over much, esier on the back

just my 2 cents

steve
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

beenthere

I'd support your original decision - MS361 w/20" bar.

It will easily drop the 24" trees, work great for limbing and bucking, as well as bucking up the tops for firewood. Have used that size for years, and feel it's such an all-around saw size, there is no need to go bigger and no need to go smaller.  But, just my take for what it's worth. If I had a bigger saw, I'd want a smaller one to do the limbing and firewood. Smaller one wouldn't be big enough to drop 24" trees, IMO

That is, if ya jus want one saw.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rebocardo

I agree with Kevin. I bought a Husky 365 and have found it perfect for that size tree. Though with the wood you are cutting I would suggest getting the 18" and 24" bar though the 20" is standard and changing to the 24" when you really need it.

I would certainly buy a Stihl in that CC range if the saw was in your price range. I found the 440 to be nicely balanced. Don't know the CCs, just was about the same price as the huksy 365.

One thing you might figure into the works and price is a Peavy, Timberjack, or Cant hook with a log stand. On the smaller trees and branches it can really help move them around and keep them off the ground so you can easily cut them into firewood size.

scgargoyle

I'll add that I'm 225 lbs. and strong, but also in my mid 50's. My chainsaw experience has about a 30 year gap, so I'm gonna be going at this almost as a newbie ( an old newbie!). I'll definitely be getting some accessories to help move trees around on the ground. I got a helmet and chaps for Christmas, so the saw will be coming soon...

logger

I would go with a stihl MS440 Magnum w/20" bar and rsc chain.  It will handle those trees with ease.  Mine weighs 19lbs all together with bar and chain.  Or a husky 372 will also do if you can find one. ;D :) 8)
220 Poulan            Future Saws         
Stihl MS280             Jonsered CS2171              
Stihl MS440 Magnum Husky 575XP  
Stihl MS460 Magnum   Dolmar PS-7900
Husky 385xp            Stihl MS361  Stihl MS441 Magnum
Stihl 066 Magnum       Stihl MS660 Magnum

MDP

Stihl 440 or 460, with a oregon lightweight bar 28" or 32" and Stihl semi-skip chisel chain......Those trees won't stand a chance.

Mark

floorboy

I'm with logger the 372 husky make a very good all purpose saw. I also like the 365  I've run.
both saws have plenty of power!

tdelorme

You only want to buy one saw?  That ain't no fun man.  You got to have a backup saw, and what if somebody wants to help?  He needs a saw  He will also need a backup.  Now the wife will see you having all that fun and want to join in so she will need a smaller saw.  And, a smaller backup saw.  That will get you started.  First thing you know, you will see a saw that will knock your socks off and you'll get that one too.  But, you will already have a backup so now you have reached the point in saw buying where you really start to save money not having to buy those backup saws.  I'm real sharp when it comes to saving money so if you need any more shage advice, well heck just ask. ;D

Ianab

The MS361 will do everything you want, and I'm dumb enough to take on 36" trees all the time with a 20" bar, so thats no big deal  :D

But if you want to go up a notch look at the Dolmar 7900, then you will OK if you come across any real sized trees  ;)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

TexasTimbers

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

SawTroll

Quote from: beenthere on January 01, 2007, 08:26:31 PM
I'd support your original decision - MS361 w/20" bar.

It will easily drop the 24" trees, work great for limbing and bucking, as well as bucking up the tops for firewood. Have used that size for years, and feel it's such an all-around saw size, there is no need to go bigger and no need to go smaller.  But, just my take for what it's worth. If I had a bigger saw, I'd want a smaller one to do the limbing and firewood. Smaller one wouldn't be big enough to drop 24" trees, IMO

That is, if ya jus want one saw.  :)

So would I - it should be enough saw.....

....but if you have another , good, smaller saw - maybe a 70 cc saw.

Information collector.

parrisw

I would say, if you getting one saw, then get nothing under 65cc, my friend has a Husky 365 special, and its great, lots of power on a 24"bar, I have a 288xp with 28" and 37"bar, as well as a 394xp with a 33" bar.  I just like big saws, and have no problem lugging them around.

Cut4fun

If you have Dolmar support around. The Dolmar 7900 will run from a 16"-32" B+C without any problems with 7T on the longer bars and a 8T on the 20" under bars for me. 79cc saw for the alittle more money then a  361, but with twice the power and uses. It is my all around saw IMO  for the big to small stuff.

Cut4fun

scgargoyle

Gee- how did I know that asking you guys would result in "more power!" Bailey's has a 372XPW. What's the 'W' stand for? And yes, I would love to have several chainsaws, but first I have to justify the need w/ 'management'. Not to mention, I need to save up for a driveway, barn, utilities, sawmill, and, oh yeah, maybe a house for the missus!

SawTroll

The W stands for Wraparound, or full wrap handle - it is a typical US West coast thing, that most people (including me) doesn't like...........
Information collector.

sawguy21

We seldom sell any saws over 70cc without it, the loggers want it on anything with a 24" or more bar. Even the MS361 and 357XP saws now have the wrap handle available due to demand. Real pain to remove the bar cover once the handle gets deformed.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

jokers

Quote from: Cut4fun on January 02, 2007, 01:32:41 PM
79cc saw for the alittle more money then a  361, but with twice the power and......
The 361s and 7900s that you get in your area must be alot different than what the rest of us are getting, twice the power?

fuzzybear

Bigger is always better. all those trees that are too nice to burn could be run thru a chainsaw mill to help build the wife a really nice home.  Plus if makes it easier to justify buying a band mill later.  (see honey what I did with a chain saw...just imagine what I could do with this new band mill ;D)
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

scgargoyle

Careful there, fuzzybear- you're pushing some of my buttons talking about sawmills! I have a friend in CT who bought a bandmill mostly as a toy. He insisted I take a few passes, and I have to admit, it was addictive. Being a tool & die maker, and having a penchant and skill for building almost anything, I'm sorely tempted to build a mill in the couple years I have before we move to our property. The problem is, I have to remove a fair number of trees for the house, barn, and driveway, and I don't have the time or wherewithal to mill logs or store the resulting timber (I live 600 miles away, and only get small vacations). It did occur to me that a small chainsaw mill might enable me to harvest a little oak for a mantelpiece or something, though.

Thank You Sponsors!