iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How remove steel shavings from magnet??

Started by Coon, December 31, 2006, 03:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coon

While working in the shop today I noticed that my welding magnets are being covered in steel shavings that don't want to come off.  What do you use to clean them?  Here's a couple of pics.  Hope they are clear enough to show the shavings.

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Mr Mom

I turn mine off.
     Got the magnets that turn on and off. Then wipe down with some kind of oil.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Tom

the only way I know of to clean a permanent magnet is with a stronger magnet or covering it with something.

The technique I use on the magnet that I place in the fluid for my grinder is  to put it in a zip lock bag.  The metal filings, shavings, grindings will attach to the outside of the bag.  Occassionally I will remove the bag, turning it inside out as I do, an replace it with another bag.

This might be difficult with a welding magnet.  Perhaps you could wrap it in  aluminum foil and accomplish the same thing.  If the foil is thin enough, maybe the magnet will work through it.

johnjbc

Use masking tape or Dust Tape. It will pull the filings off
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

jph

I get the worst off with a stiff wire brush.
John

DanG

Well, Johnjbc beat me to it while I was out in the shop trying the tape trick.  I hadn't done it before, but thought it might work.  It does.  I used duct tape and a welding magnet that looks just like yours. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

bitternut

I have a couple pair of those magnets also. What I do to get the fuzz off is to wipe it to one spot and then blast it off with an air hose. Works for me but I am using one of those old type pre-Osha air nozzles. I scarfed up a couple of those at the shop when the edict came down that they were all to be replaced with new low pressure ones and the boss was going to confiscate all the high pressure ones. ;D

Dan_Shade

many magnets loose their properties at temps over 800F or so :)  not sure what happens as they cool back down, though!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Coon

I will give the tape thing a try but I am not sure I have any duct tape.  I got other people around the house that must be competing with Red Green because it's always used up. :D :D 

I tried the wire brush trick but all it did was move the shavings around.  These magnets are really strong still because they are near new.  I have only used them a couple of times. 

I don't think I would try the alluminum foil on the magnets because with high temperature from welding the foil will give off a bunch of alluminum oxide that is hard on the breathing.  There is already enough gases in the air from welding.

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

TexasTimbers

I have the same exact magnets. I get the shavings off with the shop vac. Suck 90% of pronto. The others need a little help with the fingers or a brush while the shop vac does the rest.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

woodbowl

I use a water hose, thumb on the end and blast er off.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

SPIKER

I used a rag, wipe them down, pushes shavings to one end, then pull away with a pinching movement,   shake out rag, repeat.

also cover the thing with a rag, non-flammable if grinding material near it...  also don't forget that they melt, the magnets that is, don't ask me HOW I know this :rolling:  ::) :D

MarkM
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

rebocardo

I use a wet sock with a nappy inside for my welding magnets. Cleans them up nice.

Thank You Sponsors!