iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Who makes the most comfortable, steel toed work boots?

Started by scsmith42, December 30, 2006, 07:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

What are your experiences?  Brand preferences, etc?

I've been wearing Justin's for the past few years, and they're ok, but this past year my feet have started hurting at the end of the day - especially when I'm picking up and moving heavy items on the farm.

So, I'm wondering about what other brands to check out.  I prefer a mid-top boot versus a sneaker for working around the farm - less chance of water or mud (or welding slag) getting in the shoe.

I used to wear the Redwing loggers boots, but found the Justin's more comfortable.

A friend of mine (Marine Major) swears by Danner's for all of his hiking and combat needs.  I'm not sure if they are available in steel toes though.

What's your advice and experiences?  Thanks.

Scott

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

BBTom

I have to wear Red Wing.  Just cannot find day long comfort in any others.  Might take a week to break them in, but once you do, they fit like they are meant to.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Dan_Shade

I've worn redwings for years, I tear them up in about a year to 18 months.  I destroy the leather over the steel toe, and if that doesn't happen, the leather just breaks down.  I don't attempt to "take care of them" at all.

all of that said, I find the soles overly hard, but i've never bothered to try to put inserts in them.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Raphael

I've been buying Redwings as well (The Worx w/ the metatarsil guards).
The first pair broke in on the second day and felt very comfortable until they ran afoul the one thing they weren't rated for:

My father's dog.  :D
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

tawilson

Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

sgtmaconga

Measure twice cut once

Jeff

I have Rockies right now, but the most comfortable boot I ever had, but could not find it in a size 13 again, were CAT boots. I wear a 12 normally, but the CAT boots seemed to be sized different and the 13 was perfect.  A pair of boots in a sawbooth lasts a long time, but comfort is still a big issue when you are running foot controls all day long.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

footer

I have tried many different brands through the years working mostly industrial maintenance, and redwing by far are the longest lasting and best quality that I have found. The leather over the steel toes even lasts at least double most other brands  I have tried. Now comfort is another story. Sometimes you can find boots that are more comfy but they don't last long, and they are comforthable for a shorter period of time as they brake down sooner.

scsmith42

Thanks all for the feedback so far.

Right now, I'm after comfort as well as toughness.  Some nights (or following mornings), my feet ache so much I have to really grab the handrails going up/down the stairs.  This doesn't happen to me when I wear comfortable sneakers all day (and am not doing heavy lifting). 

I don't like the idea of working in sneakers though - just not enough protection.

Raphael, those "Worx" Redwings in your photo look like they have a sole made of sponogy rubber, instead of hard rubber.  Are my eyes deceiving me?
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

SwampDonkey

I recommend Red Wing as well. Dad used them for years and I've bought a couple pair in the last 10 years, and none other except logger safety boots for thinning (talk about kill your toes  ::) ).
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Raphael

Quote from: scsmith42 on December 31, 2006, 11:02:46 AM
Raphael, those "Worx" Redwings in your photo look like they have a sole made of sponogy rubber, instead of hard rubber.  Are my eyes deceiving me?

It's got all the characteristics of a spongy (porous) rubber but it's still pretty DanG hard, excellent grip.
I have no problems with shock from walking but the weight will get to you, their model with the internal metatarsil guards are lighter but I figured they'd be stiffer and colder.  I think they sell the exact same shoe with out the guard.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Part_Timer

I wear a wellington style boot normally.  I bought a pair from the iron age trailer in the parking lot at work this time.  They are double H brand.  These are more like a cowboy boot with a heal on them.  Once I got them broken in I was fine but it took awhile.  The other brand I wear is Georgia.  They seem to last me about 6-9 months but that is normal for most of us at the mill.  My boots are wet about half the day and it rots the seems from the bottoms.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Tom

A soaking with neatsfoot oil every once in a while will extend their longivity 3 or 4 times.

Redwings bootoil is good, it has a bit of wax in it, I think.

I use a 1" paint brush and make sure that I get all of the seams wet.

PawNature

I usually buy redwing. But then I have only had one or two pair of boots that actually felt good on my feet. I usually have to special order mine, cause the size is odd. 12eeeee
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Tom

Pawnature,
I was confused with a pair I brought home from Red Wing that were sized 10 H.

I called them to find out what an H is.  They said it just keeps them from having to put all those E's on the box. :D :D

PawNature

I found that out to when I order a pair. I forgot how many Es an H stood for.
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Tom

I've found that it's getting harder to find a Redwing store with the same customer service as they had 5 years ago. Now they are getting more into a "self-service" and want you to pick out what you want from the shelf.

They were once noted for their attention to detail and the salesman's concern that he sold you something that would fit and do the job.   It wasn't unusual to have them offer to build different sized boots if you had different measurements on each foot.  Now you have to ask to get your foot measured.

We have a store where the salesman walked out. (my store) Now it is, what they call a clearing store.  They sell returns and old models, etc.  There is a staff of about 4 or 5, but you would never know it.  They do a good job of hiding amongst the customers or are gabbing behind the counter.

The last pair I bought, the salesman asked what size, went to the back and came out with a box, handed it to me and sat back down behind the counter.

That's a long way from what I had become accustomed.

Ironwood

Scott,

No one has mentioned them, But Wolverine DuraShocks seem to work for me. I perfer the ones with no "Norweigen" welt sticking out the sides, just flush right into the sole from the leather (one less thing to create mass and trip over). I have also tried another American made brand that escapes me (bought them in Amish country)but they were not steel toed but were VERY comfy, I wore them out quickly due to their comfort.   It  Secondly, I have found THE best CHEAP insoles are Enersoles from Walmart. I am 230-235 lbs.  and on my feet ALL day. The insoles are 10 bucks and as good as any up to the $50 dollar ones I have tried.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

SwampDonkey

I silicone my red wings. They are Gortex and have not been compromised yet. The last pair, same brand would get wet easy. They must have done an improvement. I've found that most Gortex garments I've had are never dry for too long. I've paid all prices. I had a $300 pair of Canadian made work boots a few years back, no name stamped on them, but the soles where so hard I couldn't stand up on frozen ground with them. To walk on a forest road in winter was like a cow on ice.  I do remember a CSA label marked on them was all. That don't mean a lot since it's an industry standard, often government approved, but nothing more than a lobby group stamp. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pineywoods

I guess I'm kinda odd-ball in more ways than one.  The only work boots I can find that are comfortable and last reasonably well are made by Georgia Boot. Local co-op is the only place within 100 miles that carries them.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Dan_Shade

I'm on the other side of that, Tom.  I have worn the same size and style shoe for years, i'd love to be able to order a set of redwing  2233's in size 11D and have them show up at my doorstep in a few days.  I hate going to the store and dealing with salesmen when I know what I want.  I'd rather spend my free time loafing!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

blaze83

hey all,

my fovorite boot is made in spokane washington by white's boots. I don't use the steel toe, not sure if they make one.  I use the 10" black smoke jumper.  they are a bear to break in but very rugged and durable.  The first pair I bought lasted me for 6 fire seasons,  before they wore out. the pair I currently have I've had for 8 years and they are still fine, I don't ware them on an every day basis now so they'll last for ever I think.

here is the link, they also do custom sizes...They used to be hand crafted in spokane it looks as though they have grown since then

http://www.whitesoutdoor.com
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

sprucebunny

I have a pair of Georgia boots that are Ok and a almost new pair of Carolina boots with the metatarsil guard that are very comfortable.

I have new rubber logging boots this winter made by Viking. Not insulated. But I finally found steel toe pack boots for if it ever gets cold.

EDit: I thought they were both Georgia ...you can understand my confusion !!!

I'm pretty much the Imelda Marcos of work boots ;D Between fallen arches and bunions my  feet have bothered me alot.

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Coon

Personally I don't wear steel toed boots anymore because of a number of reasons.  Steel toed boots are cold and they are not very good if working around electricity.  I also find the steel in the toes adds considerable weight to the boots which is unneeded especially for those like me who have back problems.  Wearing steel toed boots I can only last about 2 hours maximum walking on cement floors.  When I put on a pair of carbon fibers I can usually last upwards to 6 hours.  Now 6 hours for me is a pretty long shift and I am usually done for the day by then.  The brand of choice I found to work the best for me is J.B. Goodhue with the thinsulate and carbon fibers.  I also buy the tallest boot I can because of the needed ankle support.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Thank You Sponsors!