iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Who makes the most comfortable, steel toed work boots?

Started by scsmith42, December 30, 2006, 07:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

:D :D I don't know where my Carolinas were made, but i swear the leather is cardboard with some special treatment to imitate leather. I had a chaulk spike rub across the toe of one shoe and it tore like paper. The shoe was not stepped on. Just about like, if you will, imagine a bunch of boots tossed 6 feet into the air and have them land and collide with one another. What kind of leather or animal does that hide come from?  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Gary_C

SD, I hope you know how to feed that leather so it doesn't dry out like that.   ;D

I just saw Andy Rooney on 60 minutes talking about things he liked. First thing was Fudge and the second thing was polishing his shoes. Said he bought some shoe polish where the ad said it would "bring that leather back to life." Rooney said he hoped that if it worked, he hoped it would not eat his Fudge.  :D :D

That shoe leather is usually cow hide, but can be from any animal.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

I'll tell ya one thing. The leather in my Red Wings is superior in comparison. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

hokie97

Steer Clear of the clear sole Redwings.  I am on pair #3 in five years.  Yes they keep covering them under warrenty, but it has been a big pain.  The clear soles seem to dry rot, or just start to crumble away.  I expect the top of the line boot to at least be able to be resoled once if not more.

SwampDonkey

I've never had the soles fall apart and I use the amber color soles. They grip ice and snow packed roadways real good, even a slick wet windfall isn't too bad either.

On the other hand I bought a pair of Irish Setter shoes and they are falling apart around the ankles. It's not leather there, some type of cloth and foam. Gotta get something different than that this fall.

scsmith42

After many years of satisfied service (and many pairs of boots), I discovered today that Carhartt had discontinued my favorite steel toed work boot - the 3904.  These have been the most comfortable boots that I have ever worn, and I am typically in mine for 16 hours a day, 6 and 7 days a week.  I have not been able to find them in stock anywhere online, so it appears that they have been discontinued for a while.

I bought a pair of US Mfg Danner's late last year, and I alternate them with the Carhartts.  The Danner's have proven to be high quality, but only about 80% as comfortable as the 3904's.

My quest for a replacement begins anew.  I think that I may look into the White's Farmer/Rancher boots, as well as checking out the current Redwing lineup.  The last pair of Redwing's that I owned were alternated with the Carhartts, and they did not last 1/2 as long (but they were comfortable).

Bummer.....
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

SwampDonkey

Leather boots I find don't last long in damp woods, and especially if there are a lot of sapling stumps and dead fall softwood snags about. That will tear up wet leather in no time. Even if you keep an oil on the boots, they only last so long. If you work in them in winter time in the cold then they stay dry, but steel toed is cold on the feet. I have been wearing a pair of Carolinas now for years, but winter time only. Not steel toed. I couldn't wear them in the other seasons unless it's in a  building or out in the yard gravel. In our type of woods up here, which can be hardwood on a ridge or down in a cedar swamp, I need logger boots with chaulked bottoms. It's so much easier on the legs. With leather boots in these woods I feel like a monkey climbing a tree, slipping and sliding. :D I have a brand new pair of Redwings never worn yet, not steel toed. But, as I said, leather needs to be kept reasonably dry.

Raider Bill

Quote from: scsmith42 on August 10, 2013, 12:48:54 AM
After many years of satisfied service (and many pairs of boots), I discovered today that Carhartt had discontinued my favorite steel toed work boot - the 3904.  These have been the most comfortable boots that I have ever worn, and I am typically in mine for 16 hours a day, 6 and 7 days a week.  I have not been able to find them in stock anywhere online, so it appears that they have been discontinued for a while.

I bought a pair of US Mfg Danner's late last year, and I alternate them with the Carhartts.  The Danner's have proven to be high quality, but only about 80% as comfortable as the 3904's.

My quest for a replacement begins anew.  I think that I may look into the White's Farmer/Rancher boots, as well as checking out the current Redwing lineup.  The last pair of Redwing's that I owned were alternated with the Carhartts, and they did not last 1/2 as long (but they were comfortable).

Bummer.....

Scott,

Have you looked at WESCO boots? Price but very well made!

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

tyb525

I've worn out a few pairs of Wolverines, and a pair of Justins. Every time the leather is still good, but the soles wear through. The boots were cheap enough that re-soling didn't make sense. The Justin's were probably the most comfortable though. Now I have a pair of slip-on Justin's I got on clearance that are ok, but they seem so much heavier for some reason, and I miss the security of lace-ups. I only wear them when I have to, otherwise I have a pair of Wolverine mid-height hiking boots that are really comfortable.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

pineywoods

There was a time when I recommended Georgia Boot. I have an odd shaped foot, and georgia boot was the only thing that fit properly and comfortably. Alas, they have gone the china route, and the quality is not so good.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

scsmith42

Quote from: Raider Bill on August 10, 2013, 08:53:59 AM
Quote from: scsmith42 on August 10, 2013, 12:48:54 AM

Bummer.....

Scott,

Have you looked at WESCO boots? Price but very well made!

Bill, I had not looked at those before.  I've sent them an enquiry to see if they make a boot with a spongy midsole.  I've sent the same enquiry to Whites.

Piney - I had the same quality experience that you did with GB.  I don't mind paying more if I can find a US mfg product that is durable and extremely comfortable.  The Danner's aren't bad, but I'd like to try and get something just a big more comfy.

SwampDonkey

Yes soles wear out pretty quick to on some brands. But the leather goes in the toes and along the sew line of the soles on any leather boots I've had. The woods is a lot different than out in the gravel yard or on a garage floor.  ;D

Was by an Amish store today near Island Falls, Maine and noticed they carried Danner as one brand. I wasn't looking for boots, just taking notice of stuff. We was returning from a bean hole bean dinner in Patten, Maine at the Lumberman's Museum. Took notice of the big old steam powered log hauler. Mother was worried that the rain last night would put the squish squash on the bean cook'n. They are cooked in a big pot  in the ground ya know. I noticed ten that got emptied and served. Had red hotdogs to. Cooked the biscuits in an oven that works of the radiant heat off the big fire. The hood like ovens are set by the fire. They are stand alone units, no fire in them.

There now, food. ;D

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

I have been very satisfied with the Carhartt 3908.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scsmith42

Quote from: Magicman on August 11, 2013, 01:52:46 PM
I have been very satisfied with the Carhartt 3908.

Lynn, I hate to break the news to you, but the 3908 has been discontinued as well.... >:(

I've heard from a couple of different sources that Redwing used to make the Carhartt boots under contract, and that last year Carhartt selected an overseas manufacture and terminated their supply contract with Redwing.  That's why the models have changed.

m wood

I like the house brand at Tractor Supply.  Schmidtt.  under $100.  Mink oil once in  a while.  Used to be made in China but they came back to the US recently.  I think they told me Rockies now makes them.
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

VT_Forestry

I've had several pairs of Georgia Boots over the years that were very comfortable, but as usual, they discontinued that line.  When it came time for me to get boots again, I found a pair of Chippewa Boots on sale.  They are heavy and took a little time to break in since the leather is so thick on them, but I've just about got em right  :D
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Magicman

I always wear steel toed boots, but I do not like heavily cleated grip soles.  They are kinda hard to find, especially when you need a pair.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Banjo picker

The only pair of steel toe boots I have ever had that didn't hurt my feet or need extensive "Breakin" are Wolverine .  I am on my second pair.. don't know the number of them but they are an electrican type boot. The sole is supposed to be better insulated or something.  They are moc toed lace ups.  They are made in China like most everything else.... I got my second pair on ebay... they probably been discontinued as well.. Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

hardtailjohn

I've worn Whites for over 30 years. In that time, the quality has dropped dramatically.  I also had a couple of pair of Wesco's in that time and was very satisfied in them. I now wear a "Timberland Pro Series" and love them! Very comfortable, wether I'm running loader, working outside, or spending the day in the shop on the concrete. My wife wears basically the same boot and she loves hers too.
My Whites are in need of a rebuild, but I'll be sending them to a guy in Pendleton, OR by the name of George's Handmade Boots for rebuild instead of back to the factory. The last trip they made to the factory just didn't "do it " for me, for what it cost. Maybe they've improved in the past couple years, but I'm not the only person I know that feels this way.
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

dgdrls

I ordered a pair of Keen Detroit Wellingtons,
Nice boot ST and EH rated.

Just not quite to my fit,  I sent them back and will
try a pair of the Pittsburgh, ST/EH lace-ups. They are more of a hiking boot
than a traditional leather work boot.

I have had very good luck with Keen,
They have a Utility Line,

DGDrls

scsmith42

Update. 

For the past few years I have been alternating between the Danner's that I mentioned earlier and some Redwings.  The Redwings seem to wear out every 16 months or so and have to be replaced; whereas the Danner's can be rebuilt.  My problem with the Danner's is that they don't match the shape of my foot well and are not as comfortable as the Redwings.

A couple of months ago my wife turned me on to Keen boots and I bought a pair of Targhee II's at REI.  Unfortunately REI did not have steel toe boots, but the Targhee's that they had were extremely comfortable.  Last week I contacted Keen about finding if they had a steel toed equivalent, and they recommended their 8" Detroit model since it was built on the same platform as the Targhee's.  I ordered a pair last week and have worn them every day since they arrived.

Hands down these Keen Detroit boots the most comfortable pair of boots that I have owned.  More comfortable than the Danner's and much lighter.  I hope that they hold up better than the Redwings.

One thing that I discovered is that my foot seems to have changed shape a bit as I have aged, and what fit me best 10 - 20 years ago is not longer my most comfortable option. 

beenthere

I am going through nearly the same routine.. old Danners that were so comfortable for years, now are too small (feet getting bigger).
What height did you get?  Are they high enough to keep out sawdust, etc. ?
I bought a pair of mid-height "wellington" slip-on but they would collect sawdust and lawnmower debris, so gave them to my son.
Recently bought a higher top "wellington" slip-on Wolverine that just don't seem to want to get comfortable. So am still looking for that comfortable boot that the old Danner was.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hacknchop

I have my wife buy me cheapest boot she can cause they dont last long enough to merit extra money for better boot,not  the boots problem Im in them from about 8 am til dark, wet dry muddy whatever,I need a new pair every 5-6 mths like clock work.
Often wrong never indoubt

scsmith42

Quote from: beenthere on April 29, 2015, 12:16:36 AM
I am going through nearly the same routine.. old Danners that were so comfortable for years, now are too small (feet getting bigger).
What height did you get?  Are they high enough to keep out sawdust, etc. ?
I bought a pair of mid-height "wellington" slip-on but they would collect sawdust and lawnmower debris, so gave them to my son.
Recently bought a higher top "wellington" slip-on Wolverine that just don't seem to want to get comfortable. So am still looking for that comfortable boot that the old Danner was.

I bought the 8" ones.  I think that my Danner's are 10" models so the tops are close to the same between them.  The Bailey's "Wild Ass" jeans cover the tops of the boots by 4 - 5".

I don't care much for slip on boots because my feet can slip in them and like you said they are not comfortable.  These Keen's sure are great though.  The shape of the boot seems to match the shape of my foot much better than other brands.

Thank You Sponsors!