iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

JA VANCE planer

Started by farmsc, December 30, 2006, 04:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmsc

Afternoon guys,
It's been several months since I posted, been working on everything but my sawmill.  As a refresher, I have a turn of the century Seargant circ. mill made in Greensboro,NC.  Anyway, I was given a JA VANCE #3-1/2 planer today.  It's in rough condition, but I should be able to get it going with a few new pulleys.  I don't really need a planer(need an edger), but it was headed to China in little pieces if I didn't take it.  Supposedly the previous owner had new babbitt poured for several of the bearings.  Can anyone give me any info about this thing?  If there is a number on it somewhere that might help, let me know where it is and I'll see if I can find it.  It looks like it would plane up to 6" tall and about 20" wide.  If anyone is just overly excited about having it and wants to trade an edger for it, shoot me an email.  Otherwise, I guess I'll figure out a way to belt it up with the mill after I get her going. 
Thanks for any help,
Kevin

Kelvin

The good place to go looking for info like this is the old woodworking machines forum or something to that effect.  Search on google for it.  They have all the old machine guys there with info on running everyting, and at the very least they like to get new info on machines they don't have so they would like you to post pics of yours!  Good luck.  Wish i could help.  It wouild be great to bring a gas powered planer to sawmill sites with you to plane green lumber after sawing.  (portable saws, which i guess yours isn't)
KP

TexasTimbers

Kevin,

I guess us Kevins like JA Vance machinery.  ;D

I got mine as a freebie when I bought a circle mill. Mine is a Modell 66. Sorry I can't produce pictures right now my computer is in the shop.

My model 66 is a 4 sided planer that will run 6" x 18" I believe. I haven't set it up yet and have often toyed with the idea of selling it. I would rather have a more modern sel-powered timber sizer. It's on my list in fact. The model 66 takes too long to change the dimensions. It's for planing production runs of dimension lumber obvioulsy not for planing onsies and twosies.

OWWM.com may have info on your model but don't be suprised if they don't. Not many JA Vance planers in working order these days. I think I can scrap it out for more than I could get for it. I talked to the guy who runs sawmillexchange.com about selling it and he said he sold a Model 67 I think he said, but it took 2 or 3 years to finally get it done.

Best of luck to ya on it.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

twobears

do you still have the planer and still need a edger??

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: twobears on June 30, 2017, 08:30:20 PM
do you still have the planer and still need a edger??

TwoBears, the original poster, TexasTimbers has died. That's the significance of the In Memorium designation on his account info...

The original poster is not TexasTimbers as I erroneously stated. The original poster, farmsc, has not been active on the forum since 2012...

Herb

twobears

ya right as I posted I noticed the post was really old.

Thank You Sponsors!