Started by Tom, June 18, 2001, 07:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

This is a big tree.

Swampwhiteoak got it !

Jeff

Hey what happened to 5 and 6?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

I'm still trying to figure out what 5 is.  I can't find it in any of my books and don't recognize it on the web.  .........probably some kind of Astor/ :)

6 will be on the way after you try 7 because they are real close and I decided to do the obvious first.

Those numbers don't have to be in any certain order do they?  Maybe if you are on the recieving end of a money count..huh?

swampwhiteoak

Originally posted by Tom:
QuoteI decided to do the obvious first.

Not obvious to me but that may be because I'm not real familiar with southern trees.  I'll try water oak and hope I'm at least close.

Tom

Hey swampwhiteoak,

that was good for not being familiar with southern trees.  I almost dread you fellows putting one of your "way-up-north" trees on here for me to find.  

That's got to happen eventually or I'll run out of stuff from down here and we won't have anything to guess at.  There is stuff growing and blooming around here that I have no idea what it is.

Did you know that a water oak is a Red Oak and only lives 60 or so years as a rule?  I saw a lot of it for my customers to make furniture from and it is really pretty.  It grows fast which causes a course grain and the bugs will bore in and leave grub holes the size of your little finger but these guys just use the defects for emphasis and keep right on building.  It gets black streaks from something and that is really pretty.  Black and red..... hmmm..m ....... U. of Georgia colors.

swampwhiteoak

8) 8)

Lucky me.  I can't claim to be exclusively a northerner (nor would I want to be ;) ).  I'm originally from KY and have been transplanted to northern Ohio for a while now.  

I used to see water oak occasionally used as an ornamental.  Really a terrible choice.  Doesn't live that long and is real prone to breaking apart during storms.  Closest relative I come across in the woods is shingle oak.  

Posted by Tom
QuoteI saw a lot of it for my customers to make furniture from and it is really pretty.

I thought southern foresters Garlon'ed and Arsenal'ed their oak.  I guess some make it through.

Keep 'em coming, Tom.  This is fun.  I'll post some of my own in the next few days. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!