iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Arch Operation

Started by srt, December 28, 2006, 01:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srt

Hello Folks,   

This may seem like a lame question, but I just gotts ask it.  My little brother (welder by trade) built me a nice log arch.  It's a pretty basic affair, patterned after some pictures I sent him of some professional arches.   There are no winches on it, just hooks welded to it to hold chains after the arch is loaded with a log.  There are no tongs, and it's not really tall enough to move much of a log if I were to add tongs.

Yesterday and today, I went and collected four white pine logs about 8 foot long ranging from about 24" to 34" in diameter.   Although I made out OK with the arch using a couple come-alongs and a floor jack, I gotta believe there is an easier way.   I was able to raise the tongue of the arch way up into the air, hook onto the log and then pull the tongue down to raise one end of the log, but I'm not sure that's the easiest way.  I'm not opposed to buying a hand crank winch or two, as the come-alongs seemed to get in the way as much as help.   With these logs, I needed to get them totally off  the ground, as I was travelling over the road for a mile or so to get them home.

Just looking for some hard won experience from you folks who use these thing often. 

Made it home all four trips fine, nothing broke, and no one hurt......just not very fast loading or unloading. 

Kevin

I use a 2:1MA to lift logs with two pulleys, hand crank boat winch , hook and chain to choke and lift the logs.

Thank You Sponsors!