iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Robins, Robins everywhere!

Started by Tom, December 27, 2006, 04:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

The front yard was covered in Robin Red-breasts when I drove up and the backyard is ankle deep in them.  I think they are attracted to my new Tom T-shirt Red T-shirt. :)

jgoodhart

Maybe there looking for a father figure :D

SwampDonkey

I was wondering where my robins went to all the sudden.  ::) Actually, I haven't seen any since the end of November this year.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Speaking of the T-shirt.........you probably look good in red and even better in red & black!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom

Whoo hoo!  whoo hoo!  whoo hoo!

Go, you silver britches!!! :D :D

Slabs

Nawww!!

Tom didn't get anybody's robins.  There's plenty to go around.  I've had a yard full since the first cool weather.  I think they migrate back and forth ahead of the cold fronts.  They will be gone for a while when warm and show up again when it cools down.  They can't go any further South so they're stuck in the panhandle.

Now who you need to meet is Lord Throckmorton, my resident barred owl, or maybe Luther, the little bat that insists on spending winters roosting on a batten strip in the cieling of my shop.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

SwampDonkey

Don't hurt the little bat in the shop, as long as he stays there. ...and not in the house. ;) My uncle thought they migrated from here, but no they don't as it turns out. I've never found one of there hang outs in winter, but I suspect they are in my shop insulation. I did find a hangout down in the caves in Virginia I guess in October 2000 I think. It was a tourist's cave. I don't mind putting a donation in the hat as long as the bats have a home. ;) I rarely see one at the house as I'm not near water and flies are not real bad most of the summer here.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

Got a few in the house here.
Couple weeks back one was flying around in the addition.
Caught it and put it outside.
Didn't want to as it was cold, but can't have them in the house.
Few minutes later another one was flying around. >:(
Lost him when he went downstairs.
Never did find him, it's happened before.
Normally they are easy to see with a flashlight in the dark, but I loose several a year in the basement.
Still can't figure out how they are getting in. EVERYTHING is sealed! :-\

Corley5

Bats carry rabies and should NEVER be handled with bare hands.  If you notice dead bats take one to your local health dept for testing after placing it in a plastic ziploc bag and using gloves.  Bats are very beneficial and great to have around but caution must be taken.  Rabies has no cure.  The entire staff living at the Pigeon River State Forest HQ had to undergo the rabies shots after dead bats tested positive for the disease.  The fear was they may have been bitten while sleeping and the bite of bat is so minor that you may not even know you've been bitten.   
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Furby

Gonna have to explain that one to me.
We don't have any "vampire bats" in MI to my knowledge ???

SwampDonkey

Bats we got eat bugs, but I'm wondering if it's possible for them to get rabies from mosquitoes that bit a rabid animal. A rabid bat might bite, never know how the rabies might change it's behaviour. I wouldn't be any more cautious than having the possibility of being bit by a rabid fox.

Corley5

The fear was that while people were sleeping the bats may have become entangle in hair, bedding, etc and in trying escape may have bitten the individuals.  

Furby

I guess that's possible, unlikely, but possible.
I've seen how well these things handle themselves it tight areas while flying and have a hard time beliving that.
I guess SD is right however and a rabid bat is not a normal bat, so it is possible.

Corley5

Rabid bats don't become aggressive like larger animals.  They may be seen flying during daylight hours and acting erractically.  The thing with them is you may very well not know whether you've been bitten or been in contact with them in a way in which they could have spread rabies to you.  A cut or a sore and rabid bat crawling over you in your sleep equals the possibilty you may contract rabies.  You'll know if you've been bitten by a rabid fox  ;) ;D  I'm not advocating for the extermination of bats by any means.  If you've got bats living in your house you need to exclude them from the structure.  Rabies may take many years to show any symptoms at all and with the onset of symptoms comes death.

pigman

Quote from: Corley5 on December 27, 2006, 09:58:56 PM
The fear was that while people were sleeping the bats may have become entangle in hair..............

I think that I would be safe there..  :(

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Corley5

I was instrumental in the State of Michigan developing a rabies policy regarding bats and other small mammals as a result of the problems at the PRCSFHQ.  Bats in areas where humans sleep is a VERY BAD thing.  Ever have mosquitoes buzzing around while you're laying in bed?  What do bats eat ???

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Corley5 on December 27, 2006, 10:08:32 PM
You'll know if you've been bitten by a rabid fox  ;) ;D 

I'm not advocating for the extermination of bats by any means.  If you've got bats living in your house you need to exclude them from the structure.  Rabies may take many years to show any symptoms at all and with the onset of symptoms comes death.

Yup

...and I know your not exterminating bats.

;)

Tom

An animal eating an insect that has fed off of another infected animal has, to my knowledge, never been proven to have passed on the disease.   It has been a fear since it was discovered that disease could be transmitted animal to animal.  

The thought is that the digestive juices and temperature differentials prevent most bacteria and viruses from passing through a secondary digestive track.

There is the possibility of Malaria being passed on through a mosquito, but it requires that the mosquito bite and become contaminated, allow a space of time for the malaria organism to change and become infectuous,  and then bite and transmit the bacteria.  AIDS, and most viruses, are killed when the temperature drops below their survival range, usually a tiny widow.

Rabies is a virus and contracted by an animal biting, or coming into contact with the fluids of, an infected animal.  The virus must incubate in the central nervous system of the newly infected animal and mature into an organism that is capable of re-infecting another animal.  This could take days, or even years.

I found, this evening that Rabies can be transmitted by contact with:
Mucous Membranes (eyes, nose, mouth)
Broken Skin (scratch, cut, wound)
Other rare routes of rabies virus transmission include:
Corneal transplant, with cornea from an infected donor
Inhaling rabies virus present in the air (as in caves inhabited by rabid bats)
Possibly, drinking unpasteurized milk from a rabid cow

Corley5

I've never killed a bat and not that it would stop me anyway but they are a federally protected species in the U.S.  My parents had a serious infestation in the eaves of their house and after being sure all the pets were vaccinated and doors and windows without screens were kept closed at night we waited until the bats left for the season and then bat proofed everything.  They only need a space of 1/4"X1/2" to gain access.  We used very fine copper mesh screen and spray foam to plug holes and cracks.  The screen keeps rodents from chewing new holes which would allow the bats access.  This was the same process used at the Pigeon.  Another worry is histoplasmosis which maybe present in accumulated bat guano.  The DNR hired an enviromental cleanup firm with special vacuums and filters to clean up the deposits in the upstairs of the barn.  The operators wore respirators and full suits also.   

Corley5

Good info Tom  8)  Since bats live in colonies they generally spread it among themselves in the ways you've mentioned.  One bat becomes infected somehow and brings it home to colony.  The whole colony probably won't contract the disease but some individuals will.

Burlkraft

Them Robins is pretty good in a slow cooker and BBQ sauce..... digin_2 digin_2 digin_2
Why not just 1 pain free day?

SwampDonkey

I see quite a few morning doves and snow buntings, maybe they are just as good? ;D

Burlkraft

Don't ya have a dove season up there  ???  ???  ???
Why not just 1 pain free day?

thurlow

Quote from: Burlkraft on December 28, 2006, 05:54:25 PM
Them Robins is pretty good in a slow cooker and BBQ sauce..... digin_2 digin_2 digin_2
During the early '30s, country grocery stores in the South sold .22 shells individually.  My grand-dad managed to scrape up enough money to buy a whole box (50) of .22 shorts.  He had an old single shot .22 rifle;  killed 49 robins with the 50 shells.  Said they ate just as good as doves............
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

SwampDonkey

Thank You Sponsors!