iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pricing Beams

Started by brdmkr, December 26, 2006, 01:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

I have a friend that recently came across some 4 x 8 pine beams that are 20+ feet long.  When he first saw them, he thought they might have been heart pine.  However, they are not. They are in really good shape and are rough sawn.  What should these be worth?  I don't have any experience with selling stuff like this.

Thanks much.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

scsmith42

Personally, I'd use $1.00 a board foot as a rough guideline.  If they're kiln dried, perhaps more; in some areas of the country you might find them for less. 
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Tom

I agree, a dollar a foot is a good starting point.   It's the fact that they are beams and not sawed up into boards that makes them valuable.    If they have been stress graded by an authority, they may be worth several times that.

It's amazing how many sawyers don't stop with a good beam.  They don't sell every day, but, someone who wants one will, many times, want all you got.  :)

brdmkr

Thanks guys.  I knew they would be worth more than if they were cut into boards, but I did not  even know how to begin to figure their worth.  I don't know if they are KD or not, but they are dry as they are salvage from a buildling of some sort.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

blueduck

a friend of mine brokers timbers for framing, buys and sells all over the world, the price is what you can get and are willing to take at any given time..... if they are dropped into your lap and you have no costs against them, and someone is willing to give you X then you have to sit and figure if you are gonna use them, or if that is decent enough to part with.... and yeah a starting point of a buck a board foot is good, it all depends on the size and the area you are in..... call the lumber yard and see what they would charge to sell you a comparable size timber and you have your true mark for your area.

ive sold all sizes of boards, beams and timbers for 21 years, and even sold to LP cause they needed 4x6's and did not want to stop the saws for a few thousand bdft and tool  up for their main product at the time.....

For sawing purposes i charge $100 over the cost of the logs as a minimum guideline, and go up from there..... the larger the cut the more i charge though, as if i got it and no one else does, the logs are gonna be hard to replace, and ive then got to hold the side boards til someone else will take those off my piles........ i hate burning boards, but ive had to roast a few over the years.

William
Upon the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions, who when on the dawn of victory paused to rest, and there resting died.
- John Dretschmer

Thank You Sponsors!