iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Massey Backhoe

Started by asy, December 25, 2006, 06:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asy

Well, the Farm equipment purchasing has begun in earnest.

We've bought a BACKHOE!!!

It's a Massey Ferguson MF40R.

Here's it's photo:

OK, now, it's honesty time...  Neither of us have ever driven a backhoe, but I guess we'll work it out... 
(you can all stop laughing now, thanks!!!)

The main question is, does anyone know where we can get a manual for such a beast?

I've searched online, but can't find one.

It's in reasonably good condition, everything works, it comes with a big bucket on the front end (unintentionally perforated... hehe) and three different sized scoops for the backhoe end.

The current owner is a really nice guy and will help us out with driving lessons...

Any thoughts?

asy :D

PS: Boss, if this is in the wrong area, please move it. :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

sprucebunny

Congratulations , Asy  8) 8) 8)

I bought a backhoe about that size and hadn't ever driven/operated one. ;D I've done tens of thousands of $ in landscape work around my house and on my woodlot. I love my backhoe  smiley_heart

Sorry I can't help you with the manual.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Steven A.

For a manual look up this seller on E Bay.      MANUALMANIA and MORE

He most likely has one.

asy

Quote from: Steven A. on December 25, 2006, 07:50:29 PM
For a manual look up this seller on E Bay.      MANUALMANIA and MORE

Thanks for the advice!

I can't find this seller. If you have a link to them, please post it here. ta

Steven A.

Here is one of his ads for a different tractor.
He has lots, LOTS, of stuff.

asy

Thanks Steven,

He hasn't got anything so I need to keep looking.

I'll keep an eye on him though, and have emailed him to ask whether he has one.

Reddog

ASY,
I have always got mine from the dealer. I bought a 50c massey that was 20plus years old at the time and they got a  service manual no problem. I would check on yours here but I have never seen that number in the states.
Be forwarned Massey service manuals here are 100-200 usd's. But well worth it when you need to tear into one.

Ohio_Bill

Asy   http://www.mabiebrothers.com/    I got manuals for my old MF skidder from them

Bill
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

asy

Thanks Bill, they don't seem to have anything on their site, but I'll email them!

Advice much appreciated.

Corley5

Good looking machine asy  8) 8)  One thing to check if it has a front mounted hydraulic pump, one that is driven through a coupling and shaft connected to the engines crankshaft, is the condition of the coupling where it bolts to the crank shaft pulley.  I believe on a 40 there are 3 bolts that attach it that is if it has the 3 cylinder Perkins diesel.  If it has the 4 cylinder it'll have four.  There are rubber grommets in the bolt holes to absorb shock.  These will wear out which causes slop which in turn will strip out the splines on the shaft and possibly the pump itself.  If there is any play there fix it now rather than waiting til it breaks.  I've just recieved an education on this system with our Iron Mule which is a MF 50 industrial.  I'm taking the pump to the hydraulic shop tomorrow to hopefully have a new shaft installed in it as the splines are damaged.  The coupling, shaft and adapter are available from MF.  I've got new ones in the truck.  Massey is quite proud of them by the way  ;)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

sawguy21

I learned a lot about backhoes in the 60's, my buddy's dad had an excavating business and was forever breaking equipment. Does the Massey have a powershift transmission? Make sure it works smoothly and there is no slippage or oil leaks, they are DanG expensive to repair. Pay extra attention to the condition of the hoses, cylinders and pivot pins too. That machine appears to have a lot of hours on it.
Be careful when using the hoe, make sure the footing under the stabilizers is solid as a rollover is no fun at all. A ROPS would be a good idea. Play safe.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

asy

Thanks for the advice guys, all advice taken gratefully.

I'll print out what you've said and go over the machine when we get it.

Sawguy, the property we're on is flat as a tack. There's 20m fall in over a Km, the steepest bit is probably a metre of fall over 10m just near the lake, that's 1:10 fall. Not very steep at all. Most of the property is pretty much totally flat, and very solid ground. In spite of this, I still want Andy to put a ROPS onto the tractor, but, that may have to wait till I learn to weld ::)

Don P

I can ditto what Greg said, and will add, it only happens when you need it  :D. 

theonlybull

if that has a swing motor on the hoe,  keep an eye on that,  when the splines wear out, it's $$$  to repair
Keith Berry & Son Ltd.
machine work and welding

sawguy21

Quote from: asy on January 02, 2007, 06:18:01 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, all advice taken gratefully.

I'll print out what you've said and go over the machine when we get it.

Sawguy, the property we're on is flat as a tack. There's 20m fall in over a Km, the steepest bit is probably a metre of fall over 10m just near the lake, that's 1:10 fall. Not very steep at all. Most of the property is pretty much totally flat, and very solid ground. In spite of this, I still want Andy to put a ROPS onto the tractor, but, that may have to wait till I learn to weld ::)

Just don't want to hear about you falling in the ditch or hole you just dug.  :D The ROPS needs to be properly designed and mounted to be effective, a pipe arch bolted to the floorboards won't cut it. That is a heavy machine. BTW, seat belts are part of the system too.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!