iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dealing with oversized logs

Started by Peakebrook, December 25, 2006, 08:24:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peakebrook

How do most of you deal with oversized logs that you can't get on your mill?

The largest red oak on my property recently blew over (root ball and all).  I have not put a tape on it, but it near 50 dbh.  The tree has about a 14 foot butt log then branches to three hugh limbs.  The area where the branches start provided a great deer stand for me over the last 25 years.  :-[   I used a ladder, so I don't have to worry about nails.  

Anyway, I bucked up the large limbs for firewood.  Two were over 30 inches in diameter.  When I started splitting them, I noticed a nice quilted pattern in the wood.  Do you think this pattern will also be in the butt log?

I am pretty sure I can get the log out with my skidsteer, but I know it will not fit on my LT40.  What are my best options?
WM LT40SH with Cat 51, JD 210, JD 280, JD 450G, Cat 311

Captain

Sounds like a Forestry Forum work party, I'll bring the swingmill.

Captain

Norm

I had one about that size in an area we put our pond in. I bucked it into 8' lenghts and ripped them into halves and then quarters. I used a chainsaw and will tell you it was a bit of work but I ended up with some of the prettiest q-sawn curly red oak I'd ever seen.

There's no swing mills near me but on my wish list is one with a slabber to do just these kind of logs. My logger buddies get some huge white oaks that I pass on just because of the hassle of doing them.

footer

Dan_Shade

I like footers method.

if you have a big chainsaw, or know somebody who does, you can rip a big log like that down, and quarter it with the chainsaw, that will let you get some really wide boards from it.  If you don't really want wide boards, a swinger is the way to go!

we need pics!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WkndCutter

I go for the halfing and quartering with a chainsaw and then up on the mill.   Or put the log on your mill and use a chainsaw to slab the sides to get the mill over it.  Cut it down from there.  Lots of work either way but you will have a bunch of real nice oak.

Andy

jgoodhart

Big logs I also quater with a chain saw right where they land and then mill the rest on the bandsaw mill.

customsawyer

I cut them in half just like footers pic shows and then I put them on the mill just like that and start cutting them the first slab will be really thick but you can just push it off over on to the loader arms and then cut the half log down and do the thick slab when you are finished. If you are going to do this with the chain saw go ahead and sharpen your chain at about a 10 degree angle and it will cut alot better.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Peakebrook

What would be the best bar-chain combo for a 395xp for doing this type of ripping?
WM LT40SH with Cat 51, JD 210, JD 280, JD 450G, Cat 311

Captain

I've got a couple of 44"ers left, see the for sale section.  Got ripping chain too!!

Captain

oldsaw

Quote from: Norm on December 25, 2006, 08:54:38 AM
I had one about that size in an area we put our pond in. I bucked it into 8' lenghts and ripped them into halves and then quarters. I used a chainsaw and will tell you it was a bit of work but I ended up with some of the prettiest q-sawn curly red oak I'd ever seen.

There's no swing mills near me but on my wish list is one with a slabber to do just these kind of logs. My logger buddies get some huge white oaks that I pass on just because of the hassle of doing them.

Norm, buddy, we've got to talk.  If you are passing on some big whites, we have to work out a deal.  I'm up not too far from you just about every month.  Wouldn't take much effort for me to work a day in to quarter a couple of biggies for some QSWO.  I'm willing to pack up the 3120 and the 066 on a trip, with the big bars...I've got a 42" and a couple of 36's...so, what, I'm okay to at least 84"... :D

I'm serious, Norm.  If they find you some good ones, I'll work for wood.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Norm

I've always passed on them and now they don't even mention the big ones. I'm getting a load of cherry from them as soon as the weather straightens up(it's a muddy mess up here). I'll ask if they have any jobs with some real big oaks coming up. Used to be they had a heck of a time getting rid of them but if I remember right they send them up to Weilands as they have a big band saw. My favorite white oak is burr oak, it has a carmel color but the flecking is better than true white's.

If I can get a few real big ones saved up Mark I'll holler and have you come up with your saws.

Thank You Sponsors!