iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Longleaf Pine for timber frame beams?

Started by ShowMeSawyer, December 24, 2006, 11:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShowMeSawyer

I will be making a trek to Southern Mississippi to saw a bunch of longleaf pine and want to ask if this type of pine will work for beams, etc in a timber frame house.

Another question..... What is the standard size of posts/beams to cut?

Thanks in advance.

SMS

Raphael

Longleaf Pine will work fine for a timber frame.
  There isn't really a standard size.  There is a minimum size that will allow for joinery (usually 8x8 posts in softwoods) but the sizing of posts and beams has too take into account the expected loads and design of the frame.  Are you sawing for a specific project or is this for resale or future use?
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

ShowMeSawyer

Possibly resale if I can find a market for it here in Missouri. Will be keeping some back for future use also.

I know there are various sizes in a timber frame home, just don't know the standard sizes for beams and or posts.

Most of the longleaf pine will be clear with hardly any knots. I just think it would be a shame to cut it all up for construction grade lumber.

SMS

Raphael

I'd go for milling the largest timbers your logs will allow, you can always mill a bit more off...  Real generally speaking posts are 8x8 or 10x10.  Beams are normally 2" (or more) deeper than they are wide and the width usually matches the posts.  Probably 8x is going to be what most people are looking for.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

ShowMeSawyer

The largest logs will be in the 30" range with the majority in the 16" to 24" dia. Many of the logs are very straight with some with a slight crook to them. My plan is to take off 1x's and 2x's and then box the heart for beams. I'll have plenty of logs to pick through to produce the straightest beams and there is no way that I will be able to saw everything that is there......80 thousand bd ft of logs is just a conservative figure.

Raphael, thanks for your help.

SMS

FrankLad

ShowMeSawyer:  Being from the Southern MS area, longleaf pine was our first choice for a frame.  However, we later decided on cypress because it is readily available too, but easier to work (and less sticky).  All of our framers really enjoyed working with the cypress.

Anyhow, as far as strength, I think it's more than adequate...  According to the engineer that worked on our plans, SYP is actually a bit stronger than baldcypress.

Thank You Sponsors!