iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Have you had a problem like mine with your Stihl chainsaw

Started by alsayyed, December 24, 2006, 01:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsayyed

When a problem appeared on the surface dose not  come singly always drag some other problems with it. Today I was ripping some wood, suddenly when my chain stopped spinning but the engine is idling. So when I opened  the cover to see the chain I have found out the following the E clip is gone and small round thing has three  spring attached to it I thing maybe is the fly wheel or the crank is busted completely and broken, other pieces like the washer. I know the reason that the E- clip is slipped out from the shaft and dragged everything with it. So this is my sad story and I hope this dose not cost a lot of money to be repaired. The question dose it happened to some one before.

sawguy21

I have seen that happen, one thing I don't like about the outboard sprocket design. The unit with the springs is the clutch rotor. It is easy to replace although parts are probably expensive for you.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

jacob j.

Sounds like your clutch came apart. This can happen when the e-clip comes off and the clutch drum is allowed to move- that breaks the clutch drum bearing and then the clutch drum starts flopping around and catches the clutch and then it's all downhill from there. You will need to pick out all the pieces that are still good and figure out which parts you need to put your clutch back together. And always use a brand new e-clip when changing your sprocket and/or clutch drum.

rewimmer

I have seen Stihl clutches on Ebay for $30.00. I have 6 Sthil chainsaws and buy 80% of my parts on Ebay. Found some really good deals there.
Robert in Virginia

MDP

Wow! Clutch is definetly broke, I just hope the end of the crankshaft that the clutch attaches to is not broke, that would be expensive, hopefully the clutch just came loose, but I would consider that rare because those are left hand threaded and typically don't come loose, but hey anything is possible with these saws. The spocket and drum might be salvageable but definetely need new drum bearing, washer and e-clip. Good luck with repairs

Mark

snowman

E clip coming off is a common problem with stihls, plus they freeze up in cold weather plus i hate the color of them, plus, :D buy a husky!

alsayyed

would anybod be kindly and tell me how to remove a clutch from Stihl  chainsaw. Dose it require any special tools for removing or installing.

sawguy21

Tie an overhand knot in a piece of starter rope or some similar cord and feed the knot through the spark plug opening. Rotate the crankshaft until the piston stops against the rope. Place a flat punch against the clutch spider leg and hit it firmly with a hammer so that the spider spins to the right (left hand thread). Ensure the new clutch is tight on the shaft before starting the saw.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

simonmeridew

When you start picking out all the pieces you will probably find that the pieces of clutch have cleaned out the oil pump, so you'll probably need a new oil pump and the little piece of hose connecting  the pump and beyond. No special tools necessary.
simonmeridew
Kubota L4400, Farmi 351

MDP

Removing the clutch can be done very easily with a air impact wrench and a 3/4" socket. Most of the time there is no need to stop the piston, the wrench does the work. Note: Left hand thread, wrench needs to be on forward or turns to the right when loosening.

Mark

Thank You Sponsors!