iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nanners

Started by Fla._Deadheader, December 23, 2006, 12:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Rain has retruned. It's pouring outside, sooo, I'm settin here enjoying some fresh fruit I just whacked off the tree, yesterday.

These are about 6" long X 2" dia. VERY sweet.  :) :) :)

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

TexasTimbers

Keep one handy in your back pocket so when your glucose needs a little help; also you can eat the whole rack (whatcya call a big batch of nanners like that anyway?) and you can haul that Pilon up that 150' hill all by your lonesome.  ;D
When I run out of pills or don't eat right and my sugar gets in the 400s (highly unadvisable) it does give me noticably  more strength for a short window of time, but soon all I want to do is find a hammock after about 15 minutes of work.
Go get those blood tests scheduled or I will start buggin you about it. Insert twiddling_fingers icon . . . . .
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

sawguy21

what kevjay said :D :D :D :D Those look very green, are they ripe enough to eat? Fresh bananas would be a real treat.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

LeeB

I think if he eats the whole bunch at once there'll be a very slick path to slide the logs up the hill on. :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

sawguy21

Especially if they are not ripe. :D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Fla._Deadheader

M R ripenen as we eat 'em. I waited until the birds started peckin on 'em. Then I whacked the whole Stalk.  If ya bag 'em, that does sumpin to 'em  ::) ::)  Keeps the birds off mostly, I reckon. Won't last long enuff to worry about that.  Reina cooked some for lunch, like fried taters. Mixed with some other "stuff". It were plumb good. 8) 8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Norm

Ummm umm, I love bananers.  :)

I had a dwarf one in my sun room for years, they're a cool plant.

Fla._Deadheader

Down here, they sucker from the roots. Cut down the one with nanners and wait for the next to grow up and put on nanners. Got a REAL tall one putting on skinny long Nanners, and another putting out the BIG Blossom. Several smaller ones growing up.
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

Looks to me poor Harold  ::) is right in his glory. Lay the nanners to ya Harold. Wish I was there to help eat'm :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WH_Conley

I love nanners, always wondered what they tasted like where they grow. Like maters out of the garden vs out of the store. Inly one thing left to say Harold, I'M JEALOUS. :D :D :D
Bill

JimBuis

Having wonderful fresh bananas like that is one of the very few things I miss from living south of Miami, Florida.  We had some of the sweetest bananas there I've ever had in my life.

Enjoy!!

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Corley5

That's  8)  How about a pic of that BIG blossom ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Fla._Deadheader

Maybe a photo tomorrow. Right now, Reina and I are up to our necks buildin Tamales.

Stuff scattered all over the kitchen.  ::) ::) ::)  Maybe a photo of Dat, EH ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D Good thing ya got nanners if the kitchen is lost underneath all that stuff. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Engineer

I heard on Food Network that there were once hundreds of varieties of bananas and most were imported to the US in the early 1900's, now there's really only one, with a few 'specialty' varities occasionally.   I'd love to try them fresh off the tree.

CHARLIE

Didja shake the spiders outta that bunch of nanners before you brought them into the house? Huh???? ;D  Dem spiders love to hide in da bunches of nanners.

That picture reminds me of growing up in Florida where the neighborhood backyards gave little boys and girls all the fruit they could eat, and the neighbors didn't mind.  We had finger bananas, a couple of varieties of mangos, guava, papaya, surinam cherries and mulberries. Other neighbors had kumquats, oranges, grapefruit and rose apples. Did I miss any Tom?  Yep, Florida Deadheader, I envy your living in the tropics and being able to pick your fill right outside your door. Just don't forget to shake out the spiders. :o  Y'all got quavas down there?  My grandmother used to make delicious guava dumplings. Mmmmmmmmmmm! 
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Left Coast Chris

At first I thought you had a typo and meant to title the subject as :  Niners

..... as in 49'ers.   ;D  Suposedly they still have a shot at the playoffs (go Frank Gore!). 

But hey.............. great banannas!   Good to stop cramping in hot weather.  (and go 49'ers!)
8) 8)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Fla._Deadheader

Corley5 asked for photos ??  Photos of Nanner Blossoms

First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

That's cool. I always thought that once a banana plant had fruit, they didn't produce again. Then you had to start a new plant. Not true?  You can't believe what you here on TV no more.  :-\

TexasTimbers

Hey Charlie ya has good pernt. Dem nanner spiders (they have a real name just can't remeber it) are one of the most if not THE most poisinous spider on da planet. Saw a special on Discovery or one of those channels a few years back about a harvester off by hijm ponesome and he got bit. He barley stayed among the land of the living by gettimng the antidote just before passing into the next level of existense . . . . better watch out der Harold.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Corley5

Thanks Harold  8)  Never seen a nanner flower before  ;)  They're pretty scarce up here ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Fla._Deadheader

They was prolly all logged off before yer time, Greg.  ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

scgargoyle

Please use the ForestryForum Gallery for photos
admin

We just picked our nanners last week. They have an interesting citrus tang that you don't get w/ a regular nanner. And there are lots of varieties for home growers- different colored fruit and leaves, different sizes, etc. Maybe I'll ship one of the pups sproutin' up around the big plant to one of you guys in the U.P. Be interesting to see a nanner tree @ 30 below...
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

SwampDonkey

scgargoyle, everyone appreciates your photo an all. But, paleeease think of us poor dialupers when using --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--' images. Please post to your forum gallery for us all to enjoy.

cheers  ;)

pigman

Yes, SwampDonkey, but the picture is so clear with 225k and it only took 4 minutes for it to download  . ;D ;)

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Thank You Sponsors!