iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How Do You Pronounce It?

Started by Phorester, December 23, 2006, 08:25:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phorester

Okay boys & girls....., the word "chaps". As in chainsaw chaps.  How do you pronounce it?

Do you say "chaps", as in chocolate? 

Or say "shaps", as in shore?

Steven A.

I pronounce it " dang things" as in

"Why don't they make those dang things short enough for peope like me"

Know where I can buy some short enough for a man who wears 29" inseam pants?

And for what its worth the loggers here say chaps and some of the horse people say shaps.

Ron Wenrich

I've never heard it pronounced any other way than like cherry.

Of course, you have to realize that in my area even the jays may be pronouced with a ch sound.  Like blue chay, New Chersey, or apple chuice,  chust to name a few.   :D  We even have some people that pronouce there "v" like a "w".  That was wery good.

Hey, maybe we need a Dutchman night instead of a yooper night.   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Cedarman

I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Coon

:D :D :D  The "v" like the "w" sounds like it came from the people around here with Ukrainian backgrounds.  I hear that alot around here.

The other day one of my friends asked me "Can you pass me the wise grips please?"  I just couldn't help myself from laughing.  He just gave me that aweful stare like: What are you laughing at me for?  What did I do wrong? :D :D :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

leweee

Kinda like the "Swedish Chef" on the muppets. 8)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Mooseherder

Did you say Chocolates?
mmmmm......Chocolates ;D

Quote from: Steven A. on December 23, 2006, 08:34:22 AM

I have the same problem Steven. :D

thecfarm

We say chaps as in chocalate up here in Maine.Merry Christmas
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Some people can't say the ch sound, and it comes out sh. We've a neighbor who will say Sharlie for Charlie, etc. He has some other lisps as well. But others will mimic the sound when they come across similar letters. Maybe in fun, and maybe in respect - I'm not sure. I would like to think it is done so he doesn't feel so different.   :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Furby

Folks tend to talk like those they are around eh?

thecfarm

Maybe he can't tell he doing it.It may sound fine to him.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Phorester

He might wonder why everybody else talks funny.  Like me when I go to visit my Canadian inlaws.

Coon

You guys haven't heard much of a lisp or anything until you've listened to the Hairlip Duck talk.  He's hard to understand at the best of times.  Half the time you just have to nod and grin. ;D

DanG

It sounds to me like somebody's gotten into the cooking cherry. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

I say Chaps, as in chicken.  ;D

If you are caught saying shaps or sheduwell around my place, a blank stare and the following comment will be forthcoming. 

"You aint from around here, are you?"  :D

That reminds me of a story.

This fellow went into the bar and  as most harelips would talk says, "Bahrteender, ghimme a bheer'.

The bartender replys, "A caaean, a bhohle owa  tap?"

"A tap", says the customer.

Later another man came in and asked "bartender, gimme a beer".

"A can a bottle or a tap", asked the bartender.

" A tap", said the customer.

The first customer went back to the bar, miffed.  He grabbed the bartender by his shirt front, lifted him off of the floor and scowled. "Wuh you mak-eeng fuhn oft me?"

"No", replied the bartender, visibly shook.   "I wasth mak-eeng fuhn  oft heeum".

saddletramp

Howdy 4ester. Here in Kansas we pronounce chaps like choke. Say it like ship and ya can get accused of ridin light in the saddle :o It is fun though to travel around and hear the different phrases(or it that frazes) and styles. Viva La Difference!
Horses dont git broke.Cowboys do.

jokers

Quote from: Steven A. on December 23, 2006, 08:34:22 AM

For my son, who is a tall nine yr old, I bought some standard length(36" oal) and folded the bottoms up and stitched them on the sides where the edges are already finished. This does not affect the ability of the chaps to stop a moving chain and the double layer makes me feel even better when he is operating the FS250 with a blade on it even though he has protective boots. Folding longer chaps like this does result in the lower buckle being very near the ground but it hasn`t been a problem for him as far as I know.

BTW, the word is pronounced CHaps as in chunk, chug, chicken, chocolate.
Quote from: saddletrampSay it like ship and ya can get accused of ridin light in the saddle
  Perhaps in France it is pronounced shaps?  :o :D

Coon

Back to the Hairlip Duck.  He actually is a very famous person who has been to h&!! and back.  He is one of two people in the world who have fell into a circular sawmill when it was running and live to tell the story.  The mill nearly cut him in half but they got him put back together.  His story is quite funny the way he tells it being a hairlip and all.

leweee

Daffy Duck ??? I'm glad I never out grew Saturday morning cartoons. ::)
Rocky & Bullwinkle....now theres some accents. 8)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Phorester

Since I'm picking nits here between shaps and chaps, hairlip is actually harelip.  Named after the split upper lip of hares, or wabbits.  ;D

When I was in Service, we had a cowboy from Wyoming in the platoon. He had enough one day from all us Easterners and said "real cowboys pronounce them shaps, not chaps.

But then thinking about SADDLETRAMP's comment and JOKERS comment about France.....,  they made that movie Brokeback Mountain.....

leweee

In Canada.....which prompted the saying "Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy. ::)
                  Shaps or no shaps. :D

farmerdoug

Here is one for you guys to figure out.

There is a road to the south of me that is named after the family of a lady that sells at a farmers market I sell at.

The name is spelled Schoenherr as in Schoenherr Road, but it is pronounced Shanner Road. ???

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Ron Wenrich

How about this town in PA - Uwchlyn.  That's pronounced Yuck lyn.  We also have Schoeneck - pronounced Shen eck. 

We can always tell the foreigners in our area.  They can't pronounce Lancaster or Lebanon like the natives, and Lititz and Ephrata can also be a challenge.   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tom

We get a big kick out of the ones that pronounce Kissimmee, Kiss-a-me instead of Kiss-sim'-ee.  A dead giveaway of a new newscaster.  :D 
Or Or-mond' Beach instead of Or'-mun
or yew'gallee  instead of awe-gallee (Eau Gallie)

or May-cone instead of Ma'kun (Macon)

or Hughs-ton instead of House-ton (Houston, Ga.)

or Vid-el'-ia instead of Vi'-dail'-yuh  (Vidalia)

It's so easy to give yourself away when in a different part of the country than you are accustomed. :)

Paschale

One of my teachers when I was in high school relayed a story about her son, who had a lisp at the time.  Sofa always came out "thofa."  Well, his dad decided to give him some grief one time, and when he was sitting on the sofa, he asked his son to tell him where he was sitting.  The kid of course said, "on the thofa, dad."

Dad:  "On the thofa?"

Kid:  "No, dad....on the THOfa," emphasizing the THO, which to his ears, sounded like an "S."

Dad, again says, "did you say thofa?"

Kid:  "Dad...it's the THOfa, you know that!"

Dad:  "The thofa?  I'm trying to say it right..."

Kid, in exasperation:  "Gee dad, why do you keep saying it wrong?  If you can't say 'THOfa," say couch."

;D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Thank You Sponsors!