iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Columbia

Started by Texas Ranger, February 04, 2003, 07:07:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

The Forestry School at Stephen F. Austin University in Nachodoches, Texas, has provided GPS recorders, and students to use them, to the recovery effort now taking place.  The Students are walking the woods with the gps units and recording debris and remains for future pick up, and to identify the debris field.

Foresters step in to the current century by disaster, rather than by plan. :'(
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

DanG

That's a great win/win operation. The school is able to utilize their equipment for something important, and the students gain experience. What a memorable experience those students are getting, too. It is something they will tell their grandchildren.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ron Scott

Great idea and use of resources!
~Ron

Texas Ranger

First two arrests and indictments on stealing debris from Columbia have been published.  One is one of the students doing the searching.

So it goes.

RavioliKid

Don,

You've been on my mind lately. Were you witness to any of the disaster?

RavioliKid

Texas Ranger

Heard and saw it.  Daughter was at ground zero, or there abouts, when the debris fell.  Local folks all in the recovery effort.  Nearest know debris about 20 miles north, but that distance changes.  Daughter reported house shaking when "sonic boom" was heard, sound of light rain on the roof for the next hour or so.  Big stuff missed her home by blocks.  My big memory of college was disasterous dates, she has a whole new experience to remember.

Phorester

Probably a mixed blessing for the college kids.  Being at the right place at the wrong time.  Part of life, unfortunately.

Bro. Noble

I have mentioned my future son-in-law Michael in previous posts.  I just learned that he will be spending 2 weeks with a forest service crew looking for Columbia pieces.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom

What's this about their thinking some of it is in New Mexico?

Do you reckon they stand much of a chance of finding it?

Thank You Sponsors!