iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Toy!

Started by Patty, December 22, 2006, 07:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

I guess we are a bunch of worry warts. We just don't want that big monster to eat ya. SD is right. So is FDH. See my "Loose clothing . . . . . " post in the Health and Safety Section.

That's a big machine and it won't slow down if you get caught in it.  Turning redwood, or even red wood is one thing, but having red leaking out of the turner ain't sumptin anyone here wants to hear about.

Now, that said - have a blast!!! (and don't have any loose clothing on)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

ElectricAl

Very nice ;)

We have found that green Soft Maple is about the most forgiving wood around here.
Steer clear of Basswood, Cottonwood, and the Elms for now ;D

Green is a lot easier to work, but it will rust your lathe :o
Dry will heat and dull the tools faster :-\
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

pigman

Sounds like ElectricAl, like me, has some experience with turning elm. I turned a small bowl out of some dry elm. That stuff was as hard as nails. I about wore out  my cheap bowl gauge sharpening it so often. I burned the rest of the dry elm bowl blanks. They burned real hot. 8) I like to turn cherry and walnut the best.

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Engineer

That's a nice machine.  I didn't even realize Powermatic made one that big, I'd been eyeballing a new Oneway 2436 for just that reason - large capacity.

Most important thing to learn is how to properly sharpen your tools.  Even cheap Harbor Freight carbon steel tools will cut like a dream if they are sharpened correctly.  I took a couple classes in Boston, and also discussed this with Ernie Conover at his shop in Ohio.  The impression I got was that lathe tools (like plane irons, chainsaw chains and chisels) should really be considered consumables due to the sharpening required.  Half of one, one-day class was devoted strictly to sharpening.    I have a really nice set of Crown Pro-PM lathe chisels that I had been afraid to use because I didn't know how to keep 'em cutting cleanly; now I know.  Invest in a slow-speed grinder if you don't have one, and maybe a buffing wheel too. 

Enjoy that monster, hope you can show us some photos of what you turn.   :)

Furby

If I remember right, Norm is a pro at working with out clothing  loose clothing so she should have a good trainer there. ;)

SwampDonkey

Also, those Aluminum Oxide (white) grinding wheels are nice. They don't burn like the cheapo (grey) wheels. They will burn if you hold in one place and bear pressure, you don't put hardly any pressure on your tool when sharpening, just enough to hold it there. Be delicate. A nice bar of honing compound for the buffing wheel is nice to have on hand to take the burs and roughness off. I get mine from Lee Valley.

I've turned elm also, it does get 'warm', but good sharp tools will eat into it real nice. I love the grain in elm to.  8) Hard to come by now, the big ones are most all dead or have been cut down.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

shopteacher

Wow, that thing needs a pulpit to sit in while you operate it.   Have fun and play safe.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

low_48

I would be glad to help you with the new lathe Patty, it looks like a beaut  ;). We live about 250 miles from each other though, you can probably find someone closer. If you can't find someone closer, would you be interested in coming to Peoria, IL? I've been turning for 21 years, and have a Oneway 2436, two Jet minis, a metal turret lathe, 9x20 Jet metal lathe, CNC Emco metal lathe. I teach woodturning at our local Woodcraft Store, and am a founding member of our AAW woodturning club chapter, president for 5 years.  I use a Woodcraft 1725 rpm grinder and the Oneway Wolverine system for sharpening, with the vari-grind attachment for my gouges. I use the 60 grit aluminum oxide wheel the most, the 120 grit for scrapers. I have turned bowls up to 20" diameter, and turn alot of natural edge work as well. I turn pens and Christmas ornaments for a little income, Peoria is not a mecca of woodturning collectors. I have sold some bowls, but sell alot more of the little stuff. I've got tons of material squirreled away, let me know if you want to come over for a weekend of turning, or just have any questions.

Patty

You are very generous low-48. Been turning for 21 years, hmmmm. Have a Oneway 2436, hmmm  :), man you even teach woodworking.  I could use a neighbor like you! I am thinking you and Scott could share the neighbor's place after we kick him out.  ;D     Me and Norm would most certainly enjoy a visit to your place. Someday when we get a whole day off from the day job we just might suprise you.  ;)   

Until that day, I will most certainly be picking your brain with questions......maybe this will give Charlie a break for awhile.  :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

katie-did

Now Patty isn't that al little over kill for turning pens?  ??? OH you got the bug did you?  8) I can wait to see some pictures so maybe I could get the bug back. I just have not been in the mood here of late but I am going to get the sewing machine back out this week and finish some Ann and Andy dolls for the niece and then maybe the creative juices will be a flowing and I will get back out in the shop.  smiley_hardhat
That is a nice one thought  smiley_bouncing_pinky just wish that we had a shop big enough to put one in don't know that I would get up the courage to run it but it would be nice to have one setting here.
Part Timer's Boss & CFO smiley_angel01_halo

Patty

Katie, do you have your dolls finished yet?    :)   Sewing always puts me in a good mood. I made several dolls this fall for a friend, and it was great fun. Then I sewed up couple little baby quilts for Christmas gifts that were a joy to make. Norm is building a new sewing table for me this month with a glass top for ease in cutting fabric and pinning up patterns. With a glass top the pins and needles can't mar the finish.

Anyway, I hope you get back into the swing of things and the creative juices start to flow again. Yesterday I started a cigar pen that I hope to dye the wood on. I haven't given up on the dye yet, even though the black dye on the bookcase was a disaster.  ::)
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Patty

Lightweight battery-powered face shield circulates air while protecting your eyes and face from small debris such as wood particles and wood shavings — ideal for routing and woodturning.

Any of you folks ever used one of these? Are they worth the $279 it takes to buy one?
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Tom

We looked into those a few years ago and my old-timer turner friend actually bought one.  He sent it back.

We decided that it was one of those "When I hit the lotto" types of tools.

A paint or dust mast under your face shield does as good or better, is much cheaper and lighter, and doesn't break.

Stopping the dust from getting into your lungs is paramount (there is little to none unless sanding).  The reason for the face shield is to help protect from an exploded bowl or loose knots.  It's important to have one.

We figured that a fairly strong fan behind you when you turn does as good as one of those helmets.

treenail

That is one great looking lathe you have there. Ought to handle just about anthing you can mount a faceplate to. Have been using a 2horse dust collection system for dust control on my sixteen inch lathe , plus a dust mast. Works pretty well, but am interested in whether the ventilator helmets work well or not.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 sawmill , Ford 4wd tractor,Grimm/Leader maple sugaring equipment, Ford F-350 12' flatbed truck

Burlkraft

I tried one once....I didn't buy one cuz it was like turnin' in a fishbowl... ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Norm

Well we tried out Patty's new lathe yesterday. Had a heck of a time finding anything of size to fit on it so we ended up using some dry spalted hard maple. Boy they don't call it hard maple for nothing. On the plus side we'd just sharpened all the tools on the tormak so they were razor sharp. I'm making a bud vase for the dining room table out of the chunk I found but ran into a knot that needed some thick CA applied so didn't get finished yet. The lathe is a beast and it's neat to be able to adjust the speed so easily. It's very smooth running and doesn't hesitate one bit but it also let me know who was boss.  :D

Patty

Yea, the old head in the fish bowl syndrome! I hate that.   :D

I spent all night hacking and coughing and trying to blow out all the dust I inhaled yesterday. There just has to be a better way. I was wearing a regular dust mask while sanding, but Norm said everytime he looked over there was just a cloud of sawdust all around my head. Finally we just opened up the door and let the outdoor air come in, but that gets a bit chilly in January. ::)  I was hoping one of those ventilated masks would do the trick.  :-\   

I ordered face shields from Rockler yesterday, only to see them on Amazon at half the cost this morning. Geeesh.  ::) Sometimes you just need to go back to bed.  :-\
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Fla._Deadheader

Patty, do NOT breathe that Spalted dust. It is BAAAD. Fix a fan to the side of you. From the back, it will "Swirl" the dust around you.

Don't remember the technical stuff, BUT, that spalt is REALLY BAAAD.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Patty

No kidding Harold.  :-X      I am still miserable this morning. Sawdust really irritates the sinus and the lungs. Maybe a respirator would help. Can't be any worse than the stupid  dust mask.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Fla._Deadheader

It's not the sawdust, Patty. It's the moldy stuff from the Spalt.

Being associated with Medical stuff, do you know any place with one of them machines that help clear stuff from lungs ???  That may be a good way to get it out of your system ??  it's REALLY BAAAD stuff.  ;D ;D :o :o
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

SwampDonkey

I've been breathing a few hours of butternut dust, sanding this desk. I only have a dust mask and it ain't much good in fine dust. I have to keep the door of the shop open, as I'm afraid of that super fine dust consuming the place and igniting like a bomb from the wood stove.  :o I keep a slow fire in it with this out of the world mild weather we have. Temp this morning went down to 34 F and now back up to 40 with a NW wind. I'de like to know when NW winds starting getting warmer, they's used to be $%#$%#$%#  :-X :-X cold.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

SD be real careful with that dust around an open flame or you will get picked up for speeding over Nova Scotia.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

metalspinner

Patty,
You need to get a dust collecter set up run to the lathe.  Even  a small one will do the job.  Wood dust is a know carcinogen.  Add spalted wood to that and you better watch out.  Not to mention all that dust is distracting to the work at hand which could lead to an injury.
Please take care...
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Norm

Metalspinner could you give me an idea of how you do a dust collection for your lathe?

TexasTimbers

Chris I have a similiar question as Norm . . . .

Quote from: Norm on January 08, 2007, 10:45:58 AM
Metalspinner could you give me an idea of how you do a dust collection for your lathe?
;D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Thank You Sponsors!