iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Toy!

Started by Patty, December 22, 2006, 07:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patty

Yesterday they delivered my new lathe. Man she is a monster.  8) 8)    I ended up with the Powermatic Model 4224 24-Inch Swing 42-Inch between Centers 3 Horsepower  with Digital Spindle RPM Readout.  8)

Whoo Hoo!   8) 8)

We be spinning now  ;D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Fla._Deadheader

Don't getcher Duds tangled up in that sucker, Patty  :o :o :o

You be STREAKIN.  8) :D :D :D :D :o :o
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Patty

:-X :-X   Now there is a mental picture.  Yikes!
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

TexasTimbers

Wowza! Good on ya Patty as asy might say. That's a serious sister . . . . is this your first lathe?
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

sprucebunny

Congratulations, Patty  8) 8)

I can't wait to see what you're going to make  :)

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

sawguy21

8) WOW, that is a serious lathe. Congratulations.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

scsmith42

Hot DanG!

Nothing like a new toy!!!  Congrats.  When can we expect pix?
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Patty

Here it is...ain't she a beauty!  8)

Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Norm

Nothing to do with Patty's new lathe but I glanced over to see her and Lucy doing some typing. Lucy is our office kitty that we adopted a few months ago. Can you tell she's a bit spoiled. :)

Left Coast Chris

Very beautiful piece of machinry.  At least there will be no thoughts of up grading in the future.  That is pretty much the best money can buy.  With the 24 inch swing no need to swivel the head to the side to take on the larger projects.    I also found after getting my 16" Jet that the next big necessary purchase is a good set of tools.  Don't want to scrimp there.  And it looks like one more necessary purchase may be a step stool or platform  :) :)

Congrats!! 8) 8) 8)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

beenthere

Norm
Looks like the cat might be spoiled a bit too.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

I see your going to be doing some serious turning now. As farmer77 said, ya need some good tools for turning that art with. I went we Lee Valley's tools. I even bought their tools for going inside a vase. Looks like a big ring on the end, got two sizes and a sharpening stone with them. I had tried the local hardware and their cheapo turning gouges and I broke the handle off a couple of them. The steel was toooo soft for hardwood. You can even make a flat edge gouge from an old file, just take the end to a grinding stone and put a 10 deg angle (up and down) on the end of it.

Today I was cutting dowels to mount the table top on my night stand. Boy was that dull. Took it to my grinding wheel and put a nice shiny edge on the dowel cutter and the matching hole cutter. Before I did that the smoke was rolling off that ash, trying to cut it. Must have almost set on fire, I could barely breath. :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Fla._Deadheader

Now, that's a Lathe.  8) 8) 8)  Congrats Patty.  8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Larry

I didn't know they made em that big. 8) 8) 8) 8)

I could spin balance my truck tires on that thing. :D :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

scsmith42

Whoa - that's a bigun!  Enjoy!

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

thurlow

Quote from: Patty on December 22, 2006, 11:25:11 AM
Here it is...ain't she a beauty! 8)

Lathe doesn't look bad, either!   8)
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

SwampDonkey

They come even bigger. One fellow I know turns big spalted burls almost 3 feet wide for coffee tables. He hollows them out to. Now there is some serious wood shavings being produced on one of them monsters. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

metalspinner

Now you see, Patty... you went out and bought the wrong machine.  Let me come on up there and trade you out with mine.  It will treat you right.  What do you say... sometime between Christmas and New Year? ;D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

pigman

That sure is a nice big lathe. :o I have been thinking about a larger lathe, but until I get some more room and some more money, I will just have to make do with my little lathe. :(  I will be waiting to see the big bowl you will turn on that new toy  tool. 8)

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Paschale

That's a nice addition to the shop, Patty!   8)

Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Roxie

I can't wait to see what you make with that!! 

You are lookin good behind that lathe!!   8) 8)
Say when

Burlkraft

Hey..Congratulations Patty......That sure is a purdy machine.... ;D ;D ;D ;D

I see ya must have a new turning room too. Is that fresh drywall in the background  ???  ???

Let the chips fly......... ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

dail_h

Looks like somebody needs some bigger wood. ;D
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Patty

Oh yea....let the fun begin!

It took four big guys to get her off the pallet yesterday.  :o  Norm, my brother and both sons were just DanG happy to lift her off.  ::)     

I must admit I am just a tiny bit intimidated by the size of her. I was reading up on the instruction manual today between orders. I think my first job is to sharpen up the tools. I figure if I am going to hurt myself, it may as well be while holding a sharp knife.  ::)    I wish one of you lived closer so you could demo this thing to me.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

SwampDonkey

One thing to keep in mind Patty is to keep your tool rest as close to your work piece as possible. And..secondly..ermmm watch your chin ...or other parts.. near them really long handled tools. When tip number two fails to sink in, refer back to tip number one. ;D :D

Thank You Sponsors!