iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

.325 or 3/8ths? Which is better.

Started by Steven A., December 20, 2006, 12:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven A.

I am buying a new bar, chains and sprocket for my 025 Stihl.
Baileys has some very good prices but they need to know which pitch I would prefer.
3/8ths would be a little better price.
Is there any reason to use one pitch instead of the other?

Dan_Shade

the smaller saws work better with the smaller chain, typically.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

SawTroll

The 025 would probably be at its best with a .325 narrow kerf setup, but sadly Stihl doesnt offer it, neither does Oregon as far as I know, with that bar mount pattern.... :(

..but I believe that Baileys may do (Carlton/Woodsmanpro)... ;)
Information collector.

sawguy21

The 025 would be taxed with anything more than the picco chain in 3/8. As SawTroll suggests, .325 would be the best choice.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ohio_Bill

Steven , I have a 026 and have used a ArborPro  Narrow Kerf Bar with a 20NK Woodsman  325 from baileys  . I have used several different bar and chain combination on this saw and I like this the best .   The 20NK is a simichisel  and stays sharper longer .

Bill
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

SawTroll

Quote from: Ohio_Bill on December 23, 2006, 09:23:03 PM
Steven , I have a 026 and have used a ArborPro  Narrow Kerf Bar with a 20NK Woodsman  325 from baileys  . I have used several different bar and chain combination on this saw and I like this the best .   The 20NK is a simichisel  and stays sharper longer .

Bill

You should try the Oregon 95Vp on that bar.......
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!