iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl and Husky Parts Suppliers . . . . . .

Started by TexasTimbers, December 20, 2006, 09:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

I don't have any spare parts on hand to speak of. I need to keep certain things on hand that wear out like a spare clutch for each saw, extra bar nuts for when I drop them in the bush and can't find them, pull cord string, (already broke the pull chord on my 025 3 times!), air filters, spark plugs (O'Reilly's) and whatever else I can think of or y'all can suggest.
I have been doing quite a bit of logging lately and will be doing alot more over the next . . . . um . . .  for the rest of my life hopefully.
I know I can get most of what I need for my Huskys from Bailey's, and I wouldn't shop elsewhere for my Huskys even if there were a "cheaper" source for parts because I love their excellent service. But I have not found a Stihl equivalent to Bailey's. Does one exist?
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

sawguy21

Probably not, Stihl does not allow the dealers to sell directly online, must be full service. We get out of town customers that phone or fax orders and that is ok so you need to find a dealer that can give you that service.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

TexasTimbers

I guess I knew that. But does this mean that an authorized Stihl dealer cannot have a website and offer products on that website?

beenthere

I think that is correct, kevjay.

Some get away with it until caught by the Stihl police.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

TexasTimbers

Okay. One more dumb question then. Are Stihl parts then gonna be pretty much at retail?

sawguy21

Depends on the dealer and what you spend with him. If you do a steady business you will probably get discounts. If you order 50 bucks worth twice a year, probably not.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

TexasTimbers

I have never been able to walk into the local Stihl dealer and walk out with only $50 worth of stuff. You can stick that in your back pocket and have both hands free one to open the door and one to wave goodbye.  ::)
It would be the same if we had a local Husky dealer.

rewimmer

I have 6 Stihl chainsaws and purchase about 80% of my parts from Ebay.  Just purchased crankcase seals for a 048 and a new 20" bar & chain for a little over $68.00. The bar and chain were not Stihl but looked the same except for the name brand. The seals are Stihl and were new in wrapper.
Robert in Virginia

Beweller

Stihl service.  I took a non-stihl saw to a Stihl dealer for repair.  (He advertised repair for all saws.)  He returned the saw, said it could not be repaired.  I repaired it and used it for several years until another (different) failure.

I took my Stihl saw to the dealer I had purchased  it from (diferent from above) with the complaint no oil on the bar.  He said I needed to pay $20 before he would look at it, and it would be two weeks before he could look at it.  Clogged filter.  I think the total bill was $25.  (Several years back.)

Latter I took my Stihl saw to a (still different) Stihl dealer, complaint that it would not start when hot.  He returned the saw, said there was nothing wrong with it.  (Evidently Stihl designs saws to not start when hot.)  After finding that it still would not start when hot, I returned the saw to the dealer.  He returned it, repaired, $35 please.  It would not start when hot.  At the suggestion of a friend, I replaced the spark plug.  The saw has run fine ever since.

Should I take my Stihl saw to a Husky dealer next time?
Beweller

TexasTimbers

You should ask around and find a reliable and honest saw repairman whether he be a Stihl or Husky dealer shouldn't matter.

PineNut

When I bought my last saw, I went to a Stihl dealer. They acted like they could care less if I was there. So went to the Husky dealer and found people ready to help me. So guess which saw I bought. I believe the dealer is more is more important that which saw.

MDP

A good source for spare parts can be ebay, I know there isn't always the convenience of just going down the the saw shop and get what you need, but often there are parts only saws that sometimes go for a reasonable prices, I stress the word sometimes. I'm often amazed what people will pay for total junk, but there are some good deals to be had if you have patience.

Mark

inspectorwoody

http://stores.ebay.com/Baileys-Stihl-Chainsaw-Parts-Plus?refid=store

This is where I have started buying parts. Very easy to deal with and very comparable with dealer cost. New and used parts, service manuals, etc. Very quick shipping. I have been very happy dealing with him.

It isn't the brand of saw that dictates service. It is the person(s) who run/own the saw shop.

I decided for my winter project to take on my own saw repair. I have found a great amount of information and knowledge on the net and from many other guys who are very willing to help. After purchasing a service manual for my 064, I feel very comfortable working on saws. Don't see the need in paying $50/hr shop rate when I can do it myself.

Gadget

jacob j.

If you need new parts for Stihl, try http://www.madsens1.com They can do mail order for Stihl parts and they're great to deal with. They have excellent prices too.

Thank You Sponsors!