iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I Knew it was too good to be true

Started by SW_IOWA_SAWYER, December 19, 2006, 05:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SW_IOWA_SAWYER

I have a friend who does tree work and who has given me a log or two from time to time. He called the other day and said he had a nice white pine and asked if I was intereseted. I of course said "no" cause I have way more logs then I can use (so after I got the log home :D) I put on one of the 1/2 logs and started to mill. I always wear hearing protection as I want to try and keep what I have left but I heard a zing that sounded like trouble. I finished the cut and pulled off the board and sure enough it was a nail. It was my lucky day or so it seemed because I just skimmed the nail no harm to the blade. I pulled out the nail and continued on. No more metal and some beautiful white pine knot free lumber.

So I am on a roll and eager for some more clear white pine and I toss on the other 1/2 well..... I didn't hit one nail I hit seven right in a matter of or 3 inches so fast I didn't even to react and stop the sawhead. Pulled them out and didn't hit anything else.

What was amazing was the blade it still cut and wasn't in bad shape no missing teeth no tracking problems I cut some basswood and a little butternut with it and it was fine.

YES I think it was a Christmas miracle (Or a really tough batch of blade steel) so I guess all in all it was a good day of sawing (is there a bad day?)
I owe I owe so its off to work I go....

Mooseherder

mike_van

Did you see a lot of dis-color in the log face above the nails? Unless you were on a slab cut, this is usually a give-away for metal.  Basswood stinks, i think it's the only wood i don't care for the smell of.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

leweee

Yup ...bandsaw blades do make good metal detectors. ;)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

woodmills1

yes good metal detectors or should we say good............expensive.....metal detectors. :o :o
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!