iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any use for Red Pine?

Started by Dave Shepard, December 18, 2006, 09:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I have some RP on my property and would love to find a use for it. Can it be used for anything, or does it rot before it hits the ground?

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SwampDonkey

Treated utility poles mostly, lumber, pulp wood, log homes, kitchen tables (my folks have one). It's a hard pine. It's not the easiest stuff the work with though.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

leweee

Structural Lumber,Timbers forTimber Frames if the knots are tight & less than 2" in diameter. Siding, sub flooring, sheathing.....similar to SYP in characteristics. ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

sprucebunny

I have some drying that is destined to be stair treads. Wish I had more ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

We've planted alot of it on abandoned farm fields. It grows fast, it's a good species to fill in a field that had advanced spruce regen because it catches up in height. It also is better growing above the weed layer than some species. We had most success with 1-2 bare root stock from DNR. Can't get it any longer, only 2-0 container stock and they are little trees. Comes from the Ottawa Valley. Not too far from Marcel's stomp'n grounds.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodmills1

With its darker lines when dry it makes a good candidate for clear finish window trim and baseboards.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

mike_van

We lost most of ours around here, Red Pine Scale killed it off. There were a lot of planted tracts that are now fields of overgrown brush.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Jeff

I'd say it has a lot of uses.  I'd take all I can get of saw logs.  This was built almost exclusively of Red Pine other then one large white pine log that was mixed in, it is completely framed and sided with Red Pine.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=14094.0
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Max sawdust

This is mostly Red Pine:

Not sure I would build a house but small out buildings should be fine. :) 
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Dave Shepard

mike_van, I wonder if that might be affecting some of our trees, I am only about 45 minutes north of you. Although we have many healthy trees as well. The trees were planted by my grandfather in 45' or 46'. We took the outside trees off in the early nineties and they were up to 18", some of the ones in the middle are only 6" today. I was thinking of sawing them up for timber frame kits, but I am worried that they will bow if they aren't raised right away.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Burlkraft

We had hail kill a bunch of red pine around here. I got a couple of loads from the logger down the road.

Had a big red pine slab fire last night.... ;D ;D ;D

Why not just 1 pain free day?

SwampDonkey

The moose been breaking the tops off on the red pine in the neighbor's plantation.  >:( >:(  Reminds me I gotta thin that to. 50 acres.  8)

jpgreen

Oh I'd love to take care of that moose problem..  :)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

jpad_mi

Jeff P. in Michigan

Ron Scott

Red pine has many uses as mentioned. It's also used heavily in the landscaping materials market. It's a very popular commercial species here. Many acres of it in plantations on the Huron-Manistee National forests and included private lands.
~Ron

bitternut

Local Amish wood shop sells lots of red pine log siding. Thinking of putting some up inside my barn. Looked at it a coupe weeks ago and liked it.

Burlkraft

Quote from: jpad_mi on December 21, 2006, 07:15:04 PM
Jeff B, sweet bunkhouse!

If ya think the outside is nice.....ya otta see that red cedar floor.... ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Thank You Sponsors!