iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber rack ideas?

Started by OneWithWood, December 18, 2006, 05:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

Well the bio diesel processing plant is completed and I am brewing up my first batch.  I will eventually get around to taking some pics and posting to the alternative energy thread.  Most of the other items on the honey do list that can be accomplished during the winter months have at least been talked about so I have some time to devote back to the saw barn.  I have two major tasks to complete before I can say it is basically a finished product (and actually begin producing something  :o ).  Build the rail system and kiln carts and construct a lumber racking system above the kiln chamber.  It is the latter that I would like some imput on.

Lumber racks:
  I could easily construct a racking system that stores the lumber flat.  I could also copy a system I have seen in a number of quality yards selling hardwood.  This system stores the lumber by species and width in a diamond shaped bin which allows the lumber to be slid in at an angle.  Looks neat and is a tad bit harder to construct.

Is there a compelling reason to store kiln dried lumber stacked at a 45° angle?

What are some of the methods you all employ for the extended storage of kiln dried hardwoods?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

jgoodhart

I use pallet racks. The one in the shop is 12' long and the load beam carry 6k pounds per pair.

Dan_Shade

I prefer the standing on the end method, lets you grab what you want a lot easier....
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

PineNut

I know this is not hardwood but I store plywood on end. Everything I have read says you should not do it but I successfully store it this way. Built a cage about 4 x 4 x 8 ½ ft. (inside). Using 2-x lumber, made an additional set of sides on a slant, which made the storage area a V with a flat bottom. When plywood is in it, place a spacer in the middle to keep the plywood up against the sides. I use an empty wire spool for a spacer. Easy to get what you want without having to move a whole lot of stock.

Thank You Sponsors!