iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting some pretty wood

Started by rvrdivr, December 18, 2006, 03:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rvrdivr

Hey ya'll. I finally got to cut some of the Deadheads I pulled out of the Suwannee River in North FL. Here are a few pictures.

These pines were cut down back in the late 1800's. Then they were transported to the mills by water, but some sank. Because of there density and high resin content, they survived the years until salvaged. Some of these old growth pines can have as many as 30 growth rings per inch.

Below is one I decided to Quarter.

Hope you enjoyed
Brian

Ron Scott

~Ron

sprucebunny

That's beautiful  8) 8)

Thanks for the pictures. Nice saw shed ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

derhntr

2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

WDH

Incredible.  Does the sapwood have a blue color?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kelvin

Where do you get the stuff?  Do you dive for it?  Isn't everybody after this stuff?  How can there be any left?
Looks cool.  wish i could find stuff in the river.  Is it free if you find a log in the river?  What if its still attached to the shore?  Wonder how salvage laws work on rivers here in michigan?
KP

beenthere

Kelvin
Been some previous discussion somewhere on the forum about MI scavenging. Try a search, and you should scare it up.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Fla._Deadheader

Brian, Q-saw that stuff into 5/4 X 8 and dry it well. Finish it off as stair treads and hit the Log House people. Goodwin gets a small fortune for it.  He tried to get us to sell  give it to him.

Used to be a guy in St. Augustine that advertised for 10" wide for window frames and casings. Might look into that for guys that do restoration.

Also had an outfit in Charleston, that we sold a lot of Cypress to. They were remodelers, BIG TIME. Ed should have that info.  I know you want to use it all, but, in a short time, you have accumulated a goodly pile. 

Too bad ya didn't get going before we quit. Couda made things VERY interesting.  ;D :D

Almost forgot, "Fred" says you will lose yer a$$ sawing that stuff. He could show me how to turn a $500.00 log into $100.00 real easy.  ::) ::) :D :D :D

Call Goodwin and tell 'em ya wanna lay yer new house floor with Heart and run it up the stairs as well. Sit down when ya read their price list.  ::) ::) :D :D :D :D

Nice going  ;) ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

rvrdivr

Thanks ya'll, I'm glad to show this stuff off 8)

Kevin here is my post from a couple months back. This should answer most of your questions. https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=21812.msg310116#msg310116

Thanks for the suggestion FDH'er. I have mostly cut 4/4 but I have some I've cut thicker. All the boards are drying straight without cupping or bow. I probably won't sell any until I can kiln dry it. I'm working on that now.

Fla._Deadheader

You won't HAVE much Cup-Bow-Warp with that stuff.  Water seems to relax it. Did the Cypress the same. Ones found on dry land wood be FULL of Tension. Sunken ones, hardly ever moved.

These guys don't realize how stable this stuff is.  ;D ;D

Don't forget Bannister Rails. The curly thing at the bottom of the stairs is BIG BUX  ;) ;)
   First, it is ridiculed;

oakiemac

Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Left Coast Chris

Im like you.    After all of that work I can't bring myself to sell it.   I have a friend that does jewlery boxes and small projects and is a very accomplished wood worker so when I find small fancy pieces I give it to him....... he will then use it for awhile for his boxes and usually he will return something made from my wood. 

It would be neat to build some heirloom furnature from the pine if you could find a good furnature maker that would trade wood for a piece of furnature in return.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

WDH

I saw a house under construction a few years ago with a floor from this type reclaimed pine.  The natural color was the dark of the latewood from the growth rings and a light blue color in the early wood. The floor alone cost the guy building the house $20,000 just for the wood for the floor.  Wish I had that kinda money to spend...........I assume the blue color came from the reduction reaction (versus the normal oxidation reaction we see in air) from being submerged in water.  Rvrdivr, the pics you posted looks just like what I saw on that floor.   That is some gorgeous lumber that you sawed!!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

blaze83

some very cool lumber,  My mind was racing with all kinds of projects that I could build with it 8)
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

Fla._Deadheader

Brian, I figger you know wood pretty well, BUT, don't forget to go slow when you find that "Bumpy" log.  There will be lumber from it that you will find VERY special. Looks like this.

First, it is ridiculed;

spencerhenry

timely thread. i milled a reclaimed hand hewn beam from a barn built in the late 1800's today. beech i think, almost clear. was a hand hewn about 14' long 16" wide and about 10" thick. milled it into a mantle. then i started to work on getting rid of some aspen logs i have had sitting around for a few years. i started out with the idea of making some 1x for crating material, and some 2x for  a friends trailer deck. when i opened up these snow covered "crappy" logs, i found some of the most spectacular color and grain i have ever milled. colors from the usual white, to yellow, to orange, tan, dark brown. wish i had pictures to post.

rebocardo

Thanx for the pictures, great stuff!

Daren

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on December 18, 2006, 08:11:23 PM

"Fred" . He could show me how to turn a $500.00 log into $100.00 real easy.  ::) ::) :D :D :D

Who needs Fred ?, I learned that on my own  :D, I have done it more than once .

That is some nice looking old wood for sure, thanks for the pictures.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

rvrdivr

The "bumpy" logs FDH'er is referring to look like this when they come out. 8)

The curly pine is very rare and bring high prices of $40. to $60. a BF. AgainĀ  8)

The curly will only be found along the outer parts of the log. The deeper you cut, the more you start getting a normal grain pattern.

At this point in time, nobody has offered an explanation to why this occures. But I think I know why. It is simply vine strangulation. Below is a long leaf pine being strangled by a vine. I think the vine is wisteria?

The vine is so thick you can's see the base of this tree. The strangled tree will grow slow and be disfigured from this I would think. The end result should be some fine curly pine! :)

Fla._Deadheader

That log on the trailer is just barely Bumpy.  I saw one at Goodwins that the bumps were probably 4-5 inches tall.  Not a repeat pattern like yours, either. Vine sounds intriguing.  ??? ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

LOGDOG

Rivrdvr,

Nice wood. I'm milling about 30,000 board feet of Sinker pine and Cypress right now. I've been in Sinker Cypress from waist high to shoulder height (I'm 6' tall) for days. I've got a bunch of awesome pictures that I'm going to download to my gallery. You should enjoy them along with Fla_Deadheader.

How many feet of Sinker Pine do you have? I'd be interested in buying it. Don't hold your breath on ole' George Goodwin. He's picky and though he advertises an enormous price for his wood he has spent a fortune on advertising and marketing that demands large prices. Unfortunately, on the purchasing end of his operation I've been unimpressed with his offers to the point where I didn't even call him back this last time.

I'm interested in your 4/4 though. Would also be interested in cants. No kiln drying required. PM me if you're interested. Keep your eyes peeled in my gallery for my pics of these logs I'm milling.  :)

Thanks,

LOGDOG

Fla._Deadheader

Logdog, don't take this personal, BUT, if you get photos into your gallery, it's VERY easy to get them posted.

Click on a photo and some text appears right under the photo. If you simply drag the cursor over the line that starts with IMG, and hit copy, you then go to youir post and hit paste. NO reason to not be posting them photos.

Sure look forward to them.

How do you know George ??
   First, it is ridiculed;

pineywoods

Logdog, where'd you find that much sinker wood, out of the Red river??
Friend up the road got a couple of truckloads of pine that came out of the Ouachita. Most of them still had the spikes in the ends. Made some beautiful flooring.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Fla._Deadheader

Youse guys in looseeanna sure have some big stuff. I knew a guy that used to fly ultralight over the Bayous and spot big cypress logs and then they would go get 'em.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!