iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting some pretty wood

Started by rvrdivr, December 18, 2006, 03:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rvrdivr

Hey ya'll. I finally got to cut some of the Deadheads I pulled out of the Suwannee River in North FL. Here are a few pictures.

These pines were cut down back in the late 1800's. Then they were transported to the mills by water, but some sank. Because of there density and high resin content, they survived the years until salvaged. Some of these old growth pines can have as many as 30 growth rings per inch.

Below is one I decided to Quarter.

Hope you enjoyed
Brian

Ron Scott

~Ron

sprucebunny

That's beautiful  8) 8)

Thanks for the pictures. Nice saw shed ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

derhntr

2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

WDH

Incredible.  Does the sapwood have a blue color?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kelvin

Where do you get the stuff?  Do you dive for it?  Isn't everybody after this stuff?  How can there be any left?
Looks cool.  wish i could find stuff in the river.  Is it free if you find a log in the river?  What if its still attached to the shore?  Wonder how salvage laws work on rivers here in michigan?
KP

beenthere

Kelvin
Been some previous discussion somewhere on the forum about MI scavenging. Try a search, and you should scare it up.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Fla._Deadheader

Brian, Q-saw that stuff into 5/4 X 8 and dry it well. Finish it off as stair treads and hit the Log House people. Goodwin gets a small fortune for it.  He tried to get us to sell  give it to him.

Used to be a guy in St. Augustine that advertised for 10" wide for window frames and casings. Might look into that for guys that do restoration.

Also had an outfit in Charleston, that we sold a lot of Cypress to. They were remodelers, BIG TIME. Ed should have that info.  I know you want to use it all, but, in a short time, you have accumulated a goodly pile. 

Too bad ya didn't get going before we quit. Couda made things VERY interesting.  ;D :D

Almost forgot, "Fred" says you will lose yer a$$ sawing that stuff. He could show me how to turn a $500.00 log into $100.00 real easy.  ::) ::) :D :D :D

Call Goodwin and tell 'em ya wanna lay yer new house floor with Heart and run it up the stairs as well. Sit down when ya read their price list.  ::) ::) :D :D :D :D

Nice going  ;) ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

rvrdivr

Thanks ya'll, I'm glad to show this stuff off 8)

Kevin here is my post from a couple months back. This should answer most of your questions. https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=21812.msg310116#msg310116

Thanks for the suggestion FDH'er. I have mostly cut 4/4 but I have some I've cut thicker. All the boards are drying straight without cupping or bow. I probably won't sell any until I can kiln dry it. I'm working on that now.

Fla._Deadheader

You won't HAVE much Cup-Bow-Warp with that stuff.  Water seems to relax it. Did the Cypress the same. Ones found on dry land wood be FULL of Tension. Sunken ones, hardly ever moved.

These guys don't realize how stable this stuff is.  ;D ;D

Don't forget Bannister Rails. The curly thing at the bottom of the stairs is BIG BUX  ;) ;)
   First, it is ridiculed;

oakiemac

Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Left Coast Chris

Im like you.    After all of that work I can't bring myself to sell it.   I have a friend that does jewlery boxes and small projects and is a very accomplished wood worker so when I find small fancy pieces I give it to him....... he will then use it for awhile for his boxes and usually he will return something made from my wood. 

It would be neat to build some heirloom furnature from the pine if you could find a good furnature maker that would trade wood for a piece of furnature in return.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

WDH

I saw a house under construction a few years ago with a floor from this type reclaimed pine.  The natural color was the dark of the latewood from the growth rings and a light blue color in the early wood. The floor alone cost the guy building the house $20,000 just for the wood for the floor.  Wish I had that kinda money to spend...........I assume the blue color came from the reduction reaction (versus the normal oxidation reaction we see in air) from being submerged in water.  Rvrdivr, the pics you posted looks just like what I saw on that floor.   That is some gorgeous lumber that you sawed!!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

blaze83

some very cool lumber,  My mind was racing with all kinds of projects that I could build with it 8)
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

Fla._Deadheader

Brian, I figger you know wood pretty well, BUT, don't forget to go slow when you find that "Bumpy" log.  There will be lumber from it that you will find VERY special. Looks like this.

First, it is ridiculed;

spencerhenry

timely thread. i milled a reclaimed hand hewn beam from a barn built in the late 1800's today. beech i think, almost clear. was a hand hewn about 14' long 16" wide and about 10" thick. milled it into a mantle. then i started to work on getting rid of some aspen logs i have had sitting around for a few years. i started out with the idea of making some 1x for crating material, and some 2x for  a friends trailer deck. when i opened up these snow covered "crappy" logs, i found some of the most spectacular color and grain i have ever milled. colors from the usual white, to yellow, to orange, tan, dark brown. wish i had pictures to post.

rebocardo

Thanx for the pictures, great stuff!

Daren

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on December 18, 2006, 08:11:23 PM

"Fred" . He could show me how to turn a $500.00 log into $100.00 real easy.  ::) ::) :D :D :D

Who needs Fred ?, I learned that on my own  :D, I have done it more than once .

That is some nice looking old wood for sure, thanks for the pictures.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

rvrdivr

The "bumpy" logs FDH'er is referring to look like this when they come out. 8)

The curly pine is very rare and bring high prices of $40. to $60. a BF. Again  8)

The curly will only be found along the outer parts of the log. The deeper you cut, the more you start getting a normal grain pattern.

At this point in time, nobody has offered an explanation to why this occures. But I think I know why. It is simply vine strangulation. Below is a long leaf pine being strangled by a vine. I think the vine is wisteria?

The vine is so thick you can's see the base of this tree. The strangled tree will grow slow and be disfigured from this I would think. The end result should be some fine curly pine! :)

Fla._Deadheader

That log on the trailer is just barely Bumpy.  I saw one at Goodwins that the bumps were probably 4-5 inches tall.  Not a repeat pattern like yours, either. Vine sounds intriguing.  ??? ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

LOGDOG

Rivrdvr,

Nice wood. I'm milling about 30,000 board feet of Sinker pine and Cypress right now. I've been in Sinker Cypress from waist high to shoulder height (I'm 6' tall) for days. I've got a bunch of awesome pictures that I'm going to download to my gallery. You should enjoy them along with Fla_Deadheader.

How many feet of Sinker Pine do you have? I'd be interested in buying it. Don't hold your breath on ole' George Goodwin. He's picky and though he advertises an enormous price for his wood he has spent a fortune on advertising and marketing that demands large prices. Unfortunately, on the purchasing end of his operation I've been unimpressed with his offers to the point where I didn't even call him back this last time.

I'm interested in your 4/4 though. Would also be interested in cants. No kiln drying required. PM me if you're interested. Keep your eyes peeled in my gallery for my pics of these logs I'm milling.  :)

Thanks,

LOGDOG

Fla._Deadheader

Logdog, don't take this personal, BUT, if you get photos into your gallery, it's VERY easy to get them posted.

Click on a photo and some text appears right under the photo. If you simply drag the cursor over the line that starts with IMG, and hit copy, you then go to youir post and hit paste. NO reason to not be posting them photos.

Sure look forward to them.

How do you know George ??
   First, it is ridiculed;

pineywoods

Logdog, where'd you find that much sinker wood, out of the Red river??
Friend up the road got a couple of truckloads of pine that came out of the Ouachita. Most of them still had the spikes in the ends. Made some beautiful flooring.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Fla._Deadheader

Youse guys in looseeanna sure have some big stuff. I knew a guy that used to fly ultralight over the Bayous and spot big cypress logs and then they would go get 'em.
   First, it is ridiculed;

swampy

Hey Brian, Good going, Reminds me of the the good ole days of the St. Johns and Oklawaha river logging. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
It only takes a little sawdust to become addicted. It's even better when you build your own. (HOMEMIZER a.k.a. HOMEY)

WDH

Yes, the vine in the picture is Wisteris frutescens.  I think it is in the Catalpa family.

rvrdivr

Logdog, I have over 6000 bf at the moment but I don't want to sell any at this time. I will keep you in mind though. Goodwin buys at $2.00 a bf in the log. I don't think he measures any sap wood, only the heart.

The reason I got into this was to get the wood to use in a house I plan to start building soon. I have been diving the rivers for years and new where the logs would be. Like FDH'er said "get a qoute from Goodwin and $20,000 later you'll have a floor". If I play my cards right I'll sell all the extra and end up with a $20,000 floor for free. There's no better satisfaction than to know I pulled the logs, cut the lumber, milled it, and in installed it in my house not to mention the history behind the wood.

Logdog and anybody else who has pics should post them. We would all love to see. :)

LOGDOG

Hi Guys,

...Ok Fla_Deadheader ...you know I'm capable of posting pics. I'm staying in a hotel cutting this stuff on location though. Only have a dial-up connection so I'm not sure how long it will take to do these photos. I did however get rained out today so I'm going to work on it. As to how I know George ... it's a small world in the sinker business. I know most of them ...even Scott Mitchen up in WI. He was the one that opened my world to sinker. Blew my mind!

Rvrdivr ... I totally understand you wanting to keep a lot of that for yourself. It makes for an awesome floor. You won't regret it. If you have extra left over though or decide to pull more I'd be interested. I'd be interested in logs, lumber, or cants. Do you have or need to have a permit over there to pull sinker logs? Here you have to have a permit from the Army Corps of Engineers and the State Land Office. I have both. May be a good thing to check on just to be safe. Those agencies can get kinda upset if you don't play by the rules.

Pineywoods ...check out my gallery. See that barge with the logs and crane on it? That's on the Ouachita River over by you. We (and several other entities) have pulled several million board feet of pine and cypress from the river there. It's not as good as Pine from other areas though. Lots of shortleaf and slash. Some longleaf but not near like other areas. From the Ouachita it turns green which really isn't desirable. The stuff I'm in right now is so rich with reds and oranges it's amazing. I've got a Curly Pine on the saw right now. Big knobs ...4''-6'' in diameter and when you cut them off you get that cool kaleidescope (sp?) effect. Really awesome. The storm hit before I could get the camera out on that one. I'll take pics in the morning. I'll be sure to get them on here ASAP.  :)

LOGDOG

tcsmpsi

Well, Mr. Logdog, don't be trying to use "dialup" as any sort of excuse.  I ain't never had nothin' but dialup and even I can post pictures.   :D

Oh yeah, and by the way, change that DanG avatar to something that's accepted.

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Fla._Deadheader

Logdog,  :D :D :D :D :D  Steady there big guy.  ;D ;D :D :D :D

There are 8 different agencies to deal with in Florida. Our biggest problem is ACCESS to the rivers. Most rivers you can NOT pull logs using public ramps OR up over the riverbank. We started by permission at a fish camp. Less than 6 months after we started, some govt. moron decided that the ramp was for BASSBOATS only. Permit at the camp had NO such wording, but, they leaned on the owner real hard. We had to move.

They do NOT want you pulling logs PERIOD, so, being as how it was mandated by one agency with a lot of authority, the rest are concentrating on making it as difficult as possible. Then, we have a LOT of black water diving, but, very few divers wanting to go into the dark water. Then, we get harrassed by Marine Police.

We are allowed 3 people maximum to work the river per permit. No big barge, nothing big, because "The logs are like gold and you will get rich off the State logs."
  I was told that face to face by one of the Govt. Reps. ??

Logs with metal are off limits. Branded logs are off limits. You may not know how easy you have it with regs. I'm not familiar with La. regs  ??? ???

Need an extra diver  ??? ??? ;D ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

rvrdivr

Logdog, I will be pulling more logs soon and will be glad to sell some in the near future. I didn't have as much hassle as FDH'er did when I got my permits. Here in Florida we deal with the Department of Evironmental Protection. The permits are $500.00 for every 20 miles of river and  are good for 5 years. But to use these permits you must have a Users Agreement with the State. That is $5500. and is only good for a year. If you are caught pulling logs without a permit it is considered a felony of grand theft. As FDH'er added, some rivers and land locked lakes are off limits.

Heres the picture of Logdogs crane and barge he has in his gallery.

This looks like just the thing I need for a project I've been sitting on.
Years ago I heard of a log pile in the St. Johns River (NE FL). As an artifact collector I paid little attention but never forgot. Recently the rumor was confirmed when I bumped into an old friend that I haven't seen for 15 years or so. When I told him what I was up to, he asked if I was pulling the cypress from the St. Johns?  He said a few years ago his friend dove down and found a huge pile of big cypress logs.  Though I know the approximent location, I would think a side scan sonar would be just the thing to locate the spot. A cane and a barge and a big truck and trailer would also be needed.

The thing about the St. Johns is it is pitch black and wide and deep. Your not just going to drift dive to find logs. Oh yeah, It also has lots of big gators. I thought the winter months would be the time to go.  

LOGDOG

Rvrdivr,

That project you've been sitting on sounds exciting. I've got the hook-up on side scan sonar and pulling equipment in FL if need be. Here's the first of several pics to come. It's taking me a bit longer to upload from here but I'm working on it.

This isn't nearly the biggest. It's a "midsize log". We've got one that's 7' in diameter we're going after.  :)

Enjoy the pics as they come.

LOGDOG

LOGDOG

Another Pic:

And another ...that's a 48" level for scale. :)

This is a shot prior to the last where I had taken boards off each side and boxed out a 10''x20'' beam. Then I took 20" wide boards down through the beam. Pictures can't do the log justice.

LOGDOG

rvrdivr

Those DH's coming out of a swamp? It looks spalted? Great pics!

LOGDOG

Coming out of rivers actually. I think we have more mineral stain over here than in your neck of the woods. Here's another pic:

LOGDOG

rvrdivr

Wow! :o  What's that go for a BF?

We don't find Cypress in the Suwannee just pine though the lower end of the Suwannee is littered with both but it's off limits to logging. :( I remember some 4 foot in diameter.

Thanks for sendin the pics 8)

LOGDOG

Then there's this pic. I wish you could have been there to see it. It reminded me of that vertigo feeling you get when you're on a flat lake and the treeline reflects on the water. I wish we could put bigger pics on here to show you the color definition.

You'd be shocked what it goes for a BF.  ;D Enough that I don't mind going slow to get it right. ;) I'm coming into some big cypress with big red hearts. They should be pretty and look much different than these.

LOGDOG

LOGDOG

Here's some pine that I had cut early on in the job. Not really the best but some pretty vertical grain. It's all pretty to me.

That pic didn't post so great. Maybe this one will:

LOGDOG

DanG

Thanks for posting the pics, Logdog.  That's some really spectacular stuff you have there. :) 8) :) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

Nice photos Logdog.  8) 8)  We found 1 log about 4' across, but, could not budge it. It was IN the sandbar covered with Lily Pads. DEP would have heart failure if we pulled Lily pads .  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Guys recovered logs for years where we were working. Easier stuff is gone or covered over with sand. Unless you stumble onto something like Brian has, you are really diving blind.

We DO know about a pile, but, it was out of our reach. We were going to lease the next 20 miles that covered the area, but, when my wife died, it took the life out of us for quite a while.  :( :(
   First, it is ridiculed;

LOGDOG

Thanks Dang.  :)

FDH ... Sandbars really aren't any trouble ...dynamite seems to do the trick.  :D Do what?!?!? Can't you just see the DEP's faces as water explodes towrds the sky? I bet they'd crap their pants. I'm kidding of course. We've never employed any such methods. You talked about diving blind ...sonar really helps put you over the top of the logs. Especially if it's linked to GPS. Just pull up over the top drop anchor and follow your anchor rope down if your diving.

I'd like to hear more about that pile that was out of reach for you. Maybe if we put our heads together we could come up with a plan. I know what it's like to have your enthusiasm zapped. It's happened more than once to me. Best thing I've found for treating it is to get right back out there and get active again. Running my mill is great for clearing my head and relieving what troubles me.  ;)

LOGDOG

Fla._Deadheader

You would not believe how much the sand moves in the St. Johns. One daythe Side Scan showed logs, we buoyed, and the next day the weight was so deep I couldn't dig it out by hand. NO logs showing. The river flows both ways.

There are several spots where the water used to be 25' or more, listening to the old timers. Now, 8-10'.  ::) ::)  When they open the gates on Rodman, it screws up everything.  We went up tribs a ways, and had to turn back from all the muck and debris that gets pushed up the tribs. Definitely NOT fun diving in stuff you have to push out of your way. You never know which way is up, and you may as well keep your eyes closed.

At least there are no sharks up there.  ::) ::) :D :D :D  I could tell ya stories.

Did you ever read my post "I lost my Diver, I lost my Diver " ???  That was back in 01, I believe, maybe 02.  ::) ::)  Biggest problem is getting the logs OUT of the St. Johns. I did have permission to use the Municipal UnLoading wall, in Palatka, so we could work the better area. I would consider working a couple areas, I ain't saying where, yet, though.  Heard about some Giants, as wide as a Johnboat is long. Never got to look for them, BUT, have a good idee.  ;) ;D ;D  Our boat wasn't big enuff
, Chief.  :D :D :D :D

First, it is ridiculed;

LOGDOG

Wow ...that sounds intense FDH. I wonder if a guy could jet those logs out? I know a guy here in LA that does it. I didn't get to see it but supposedly he jetted out a 14' diameter Cypress from the bottom of Lake Maurepas.

As for sharks ...you know they've documented Bull Sharks as far north as St. Louis right? I actually think I'd be more worried about Crocs and Gators if I had to pick one or the other. I'll have to go back and try to find you're thread that you mentioned. I wasn't a member back then. Guess I need to dig a bit further in the archives huh? I'll have to look at my atlas tomorrow to see where the St. Johns River is. I'm not familiar with it. Great thread guys.

LOGDOG

Fla._Deadheader

You are not allowed to dig, jet, or any other manner, in Fl. If you can't hand dig, which means not even a shovel, you keep looking.

Really fun part, is sliding along, feeling for stuff, and you start into a bend. You first start sliding down into the hole created by the current. Suddenly, you feel yourself sliding without effort, and the water keeps getting colder. When you think you have touched Chinese, you surface to see where you are.  The boat is drifting with you, you check your depth gauge, and it reads 45'. You were in 7-8' in the straight stretch.

That don't take into account the trotlines, crab traps, and deadfall trees that you run into. And then, there are the Hoop nets. Lots of stuff to get your attention.  ;) ;D ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

tcsmpsi

Thanks, Landon. 

Next time you're up this way, you are welcome to go ahead and bring a chunk or two of that cypress.   ;)

I don't know, rvrdivr...are you certain you want to walk all over that old wood?   ;D

Beautiful wood.  You guys that reclaim it out of the water ways certainly exemplify "commitment".
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

rvrdivr

Thanks tcsmpsi , and to answer your queston, Yes I do.  ;) This stuff will makes some killer flooring. Not to mention other things like trim and cabinets, ect... What color should I paint that trim? :D :D ;D

I will say Ed and Harold sure have a lot of guts diving in that black coffee. Sure there are no sharks (at least we can see) but there are some big ole gators in that there St. Johns! :o  You won't find to many divers that'll brave their techniqes so, I think the way to do it is to locate using side scan sonar, drop straight down on the target, and retreive. Sounds simple but it is not.

FDH'er the log pile I have heard about is around Palatka. Maybe we know of the same one?

Fla._Deadheader

Possibly.  Where's your's ???  ;D ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

rvrdivr

Oh you know...about 100 yards out and a little to the left of that big cypress tree growing on the right side of the left bank. Great! I've said to much, now every one will know. :D :D ;D

Honestly though. I don't think I'll have time to explore this possibility any time soon. When I do, we should all talk and compare notes. I certainly can't do it on my own so maybe Ed and Logdog would be willing to participate? There should be plenty to go around. ;) 

Fla._Deadheader

I know of 3 places and possibly a gold mine of BIG logs.  8) 8) 8)

There 's been talk of a Chopper lifting logs several years ago. One guy claimed to have watched the rig, another has spent nearly every day of his life on the same part of the river, and never saw nor heard a Chopper  ::) ::) :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

rvrdivr

It's funny you mentioned that. This past summer and just for curiosity, I explored the possibility of using a heavy lift helocopter to extract logs from a lake doing little or no damage to the lakes bottom. There was an incident in the summer of 2000 in Newnans lake (N. central Florida), where a deadheader was blamed for dragging logs accross the lake's bottom and destoying several ancient Indian canoes that were discovered soon after when the lake dried up. http://www.afn.org/~iguana/archives/2000_09/20000913.html

I think it was because of this, all the land locked lakes became off limits to logging. I figured if you could show that it was possible to extract the logs staight up and out, with little or no bottom damage, it might be possible to get the permit.

Just to see, I made many calls and found little in the way of heavy lifting helo's here in Florida. The best I found was a guy flying Black Hawks out of Orlando. He only charges $6000.00 and hour. :o :o  For that much, it's just not cost effective. 
But wouldn't that be fun :D

blaze83

pretty awesome stuff LogDog,  can't wait to see some more pics
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

Fla._Deadheader

Brian, I MET the guy that was blamed. Turns out that some dippy woman decided that the lake bottom was being ecologically damaged. She made a LOT of phone calls about the guy damaging HER lake. He was simply dragging logs across the dry lake floor, WITH PERMISSION AND PERMITS.  ::) ::) ::) ::)

News got all twisted ???  ::) ::)  and there was a big search going on. During the search, rotted canoes were found, by the DEP people standing on a "LOG" pile looking over the situation. Turns out, THEY were destroying rotten canoes, standing on and crushing them. The other end of the lake DID have several canoes.  These are dugouts, made with fire and scrapers.

I'm all for preserving artifacts, but, a burned out log ?????????????????????

I'm sure they would like to jail Mel Fisher for the one he has rotting down in front of his Treasure Shop in Sebastian ???????????
   First, it is ridiculed;

tcsmpsi

rvrdivr

I'd tell you what to do about painting your trim, but it would just get deleted.  :D

Though I've been required to do it from time to time, I just never could quite warm up to taking really fine wood and putting it on the floor.  (of course, my favorite floor is dirt, so what the heck do I know?)   ;D

Aaahhh....but, a ceiling now....

LOGDOG

Guys ... the rig to get it done is a self-propelled barge with either a small crane on it or knuckleboom loader on it. Get over it. Hook up. Then straight up onto the deck. I make it sound easy there and it's not but it does work with good rigging. Air bags work well too and will lift many tons of weight straight up - once the log is free of the sandbar of course. Helicopters just aren't effective. They eat up all the money. At least in this type of operation and several others. Based on the depths mentioned in previous post a guy could easily get a self propelled barge up there. Wouldn't hurt if it had a couple of spuds on it either.

I'm headed home for the weekend. I'll check back in on the post after the holiday. Y'all have a good holiday and be careful on the highways.

LOGDOG

getoverit

if you are going to paint it..... why not buy some cheap finger jointed trim from the box store?

It always astonishes me to see those home decorators on TV paint all of the beautiful woodowrk and call it progress...
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Furby

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on December 20, 2006, 06:05:49 PM
We are allowed 3 people maximum to work the river per permit. No big barge, nothing big, because "The logs are like gold and you will get rich off the State logs."
I was told that face to face by one of the Govt. Reps. ??

So how big is big?

I see even 2x2 furing strips are finger jointed now. ::) ::)

Don_Papenburg

I was going to ask about useing air bags to lift the logs .   anything has to be cheaper than running a huwey , then you would have some old battleaxe complaining about the waves you were raising and washing the shore and..................
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Fla._Deadheader

We had a good system with the Pontoon Barge. The 15000# Winch would pull the logs up under the Barge and we would chain them off to the cross beams. Carried lift bags, but, too much trouble to use.

2 of us doing all phases of finding, raising, unloading, stacking, sawing, transporting lumber and Marketing, was just too much. After nearly 5 years, we just got overwhelmed.

Furby, sometimes the 24' width of the Pontoon Barge was too big.
   First, it is ridiculed;

rvrdivr

getoverit, You know I was just just kidding about painting it, right? :D  Besides, they'll be much better used as 2x4's for my walls! :D  ;D

As for the latter discussion of barge use and size, I have check with DEP and this is there reply; 
"As far as boat size, the only restriction would be the issue of navigation.  The Department doesn't have any set limitations, we just don't want your operations to hinder navigation for other users of the river".

Though they say "boat size", I let them know I was looking into the possibility of using a barge in the St. Johns River.

Like LOGDOG said, a barge with a small crane would work great. A while back a friend of mine, who is an experienced deadheader from way back, I will add, purposed getting a barge big enough to have a logging trailer on each side of the crane. When the two trailers were loaded, you could dock and drive them off. Of course you would be limited to a dockage that would work for this, but there is a place not far from 1 of the purposed sites that this could be done.
It was just one idea he thought of as he entertained the though of getting back into Deadheading. It would expensive, though if he wanted to, he certainly had the $ and experince to do it.

I think FDH'er had the right idea by keeping it a small operation. Even though it was a lot of work for those two, it was most likely a lot less hassle.

rvrdivr

I also wanted to add that there will be a class for the Master DeadHead Logging Certification in Tallahassee FL. sometime in Feb. and is only done once a year.
If your a permit holder and don't have one (like me  ;D) or you plan on getting a permit in Fl, you will need to go.

For information you can contact;
Sara Merritt
Environmental Specialist
Deadhead Logging Program
Department of Environmental Protection
Northwest District, SLERP
160 Governmental Center
Pensacola, FL 32502-5794
(850) 595-8300 x 1290
(850) 324-4734 Cell
(850) 595-8311 Fax

Fla._Deadheader

Tell Sara I said Hello. I'm pretty sure I sent her all the logging reports  ::) ::) :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Corley5

I spent a very enjoyable day with Harold, Ed and the Governor on the Ocklawaha.  Skidding logs with a boat was something I'd surely never been involved in before  8) 8) 8)  You'll need to hook up with the Governor rvdivr  ;) ;D  I've never seen so many alligators from little fellas 18" or so long to big ones that made big splashes :)  The red wasps were neat too  ;) and it wasn't snake time yet  ;D  Lots of hazards.  There didn't seem to be many logs left on that stretch of river though  8) 8)  Your system sure seemed to work Harold  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Fla._Deadheader

Memorable day, EH, Greg  :D :D :D :D :D

If the logs turned up as easy as Brian's, we wooda made some real $$$$$$

Sure glad ya got to meet the Guvnor.  He is truly one of a kind.  ;) :D :D :D

You shoulda been with us, the day we took the AIRBOAT scouting for logs  :o :o :o

Riding high, The Guvnor would see a log, do a 90° or 180° and nearly pitch Ed and I right outta the boat. Then, he would "Beach" it, in a root wad, and bail out over the front, while the boat was still settling in.  :o :o :o

Before we could get out, he would have looked the log over and declared it a "keeper" or "Junk". 

Someday, I oughta write a book  ::) ::) ::) :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Corley5

Memorable for sure  8) 8) 8)  That 100hp outboard sure made that jon boat move  8)

Fla._Deadheader

6 cylable Lycoming in the Airboat  ::) ::) :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Corley5

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on January 02, 2007, 09:08:48 PM

6 cylable Lycoming in the Airboat  ::) ::) :D :D :D

WOW  I can only imagine the ride with the Gov on the stick  ;D  It was pretty impressive what the outboard would skid outta some of those backwater cricks.  I pretty sure the engineers at Mercury never intended them to be used quite like that  ;D

Fla._Deadheader

First ride I ever took with him, was in a 12' Jonboat. Ed stayed in the "Swamp Rat" to do some repairs, and we shoved off up a tiny creek. Had to go over 1 log and under another. I scootched down between the 1st and 2nd seat, and the Guvnor hollered "HANG ON".

It was slow getting moving and I couldn't get up yet, finally, we moved ahead.

Found out later that Ed nearly wet hisself laffin. Seems that when we started over the log, the Boat lurched a tad, the Guvnor got his chin hooked on the log we had to go UNDER, and his hand was twistin the throttle, nearly chokin his head off  ::) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

We finally made hay, though.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D  He never let on about it, neither  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Corley5

:D :D ;D ;D  He sure knows his way around that river and its tribs

getoverit

Greg, iffn you are in Florida again, you know you are always welcome on the Old Dixie Farm here in Hilliard :D
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Ironwood

Have you ever seen the military surplus collapsable fuel tanks used in airplane wings? They should make great "AIRBAGS" for lifting or even to stabilize the boats for lifting. They are HEAVY reinforced rubber. Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Fla._Deadheader

It doesn't take much to raise a log, once it's broke loose from the sandy bottom. I used to pull the 4' X 24' Pontoons down intothe water, sometimes 12". Then you might have to sit and wait for the log to "pop". Other times, you are never sure the log is still hooked  ::) ;D  Large stuff has no place in a boat, especially the size Brian is using.

Inner tubes can be a handy small storage item. Old timers used to sink barrels and tie onto logs. Then air 'em up and go back later to see if a log has "popped".  Them were all the easy ones. None of the easy ones left  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!