iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

.50 gauge chain on .058 bar?

Started by Steven A., December 18, 2006, 10:16:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven A.

On this 025 Stihl saw I was given is a bar for .058 chain.  The bar is bad on one side so my intention is to wear out 2 chains I have on the good side of this bar then put on a  new longer bar and chain that matches the one on my Jonsered saw.

One of these 2 chains is an almost new chain that is the right pitch and length but its .050 guage. Can I use this on this old .058 bar? I have no other use for the chain so I'd just like to use it up on this old bar if possible.

sawguy21

You will not be able to make a straight cut to save your life. The chain will rock in the bar and accelerate the wear.
Also, the chains for the Stihl and Jonsereds are different lengths due to bar design, the mount patterns are different. An 17" chain for the Stihl has 68 drive links and the J-red has 66 links on the 16".
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

MDP

You might be able to close the rails to snug up on the .50 guage chain otherwise your cuts will be interesting at best, impossible at worst.

Mark

SawTroll

As they said - don't do it....... ::)
Information collector.

Al_Smith

Besides the fact the saw will wobble all over in the cut,you risk having a chain derail.You certainly do not want that.

Steven A.

Thanks guys. I'll give the chain to my saw dealer. Maybe he can put it on a used saw.

rebocardo

Bailey's is having a close out on Carlton .058 chain, 20" loops are only $10.95. I think they have some close out bars for Stihl too.

Thank You Sponsors!