iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Child's simple woodworking project ideas?

Started by JimBuis, December 17, 2006, 08:56:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimBuis

I am looking for some ideas for kids' woodworking projects.  The situation:  I'll be the teacher with kids' ages ranging from 9 to 13, one hour of time, no prior experience, and they have to finish a wood project.

I'll need to buy or make some kits in advance, so all they have to do is a bit of sanding, staining, waxing, or whatever and assemble.  I may be able to require that the younger ones come with a parent for assistance.

The birdhouse idea is no good.  Living in a Tokyo apartment where the birds are few and far between other than crows and pigeons makes birdhouses a bad idea.

I'd appreciate any other suggestions you guys and gals may have.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Jeff

How about a simple cube assembled from 6 pieces? One side has a slot for it to become a bank. A slight challenge figuring out what side should go where.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Daren

Some place (in one of the many catalogues that come to the house) I saw some kits to make wooden race cars. They were powered by a rubber band. The kids could build them, then drag race them. They had rubberband boats too, but I don't know how practical that would be in a classroom. I will add a link when I find what I was talking about.

I found something, not what I was thinking, but they have hovercrafts too (I may buy some of this stuff for my nephew) http://www.docfizzix.com/ . The kits are kinda pricey though, I don't know your operating budget. I did see they had bulk discounts, but have not fully checked out everything they have.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Radar67

My brother made a simple foot stool in wood shop years ago. The top was 8 x 12 inches with the corners rounded, the legs were 6 x 8 inches with a 2 inch radius centered on the bottom, and two side rails, 8 1/2 by 2 inches. The top had a 1 inch lip all the way around where the legs and rails fastened. It was a nice little stool and would be easy to build from a kit. You could even route the edges with a round over or chamfer bit.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Jeff

Radar, you just caused me to say Hey! and look down and to my left where I keep something my Dad made many many years ago. A stool might be the perfect thing. Keeping in mind this one might not be the prettiest thing to you right now because of its age, it would make a simple project, and its something I still use quite often for things.

Radar67

Yep, that is real similar to what I had in mind. My Mom will not let that little stool out of her house under any circumstances.  ;D

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Bibbyman

Here is a simple stool I made.  I did use glue and screws but it could be just screwed together.

Other ideas ...  Bookends... a simple shelf.

Here is another but it would be a glue-up project.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Larry

Click on my profile for a picture of the ultimate child's wood working project. ;D :D ;D :D

I also made a lamp out of a cypress knee.  Can't remember if I drilled the hole for the cord or not.  Do remember making a pine base and somehow attaching the knee.

I've also made simple one plank cutting boards in the shape of common farm animals.  All that takes is a band or scroll saw.  Piggy banks to...think Stacy has one I made...just never took any pictures of em.

I've sawn literally thousands of walnut slabs for school kids to make clocks.  Sawed em out of winter cut walnut limbs somewhere between 6 to 10" diameter.  Cut with about a 45 degree angle and around 2" thick.  Couple of drill bits and sandpaper is about the only tools required.  They were so popular I think it would be unusual to find a family in north Missouri that doesn't have one. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

thurlow

I vote for stools  8).  Mine are folding and make great camp stools since they have a convenient handle.  Usually just make 'em out of scrap, except for the dowels.

The dimensions have to be "right" for them to fold properly;  holler if you're interested and I'll get some measurments.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

JimBuis

I appreciate the feedback one and all.  The stool might be a possibility.  I do have a plan for a bookshelf that would be suitable if I have the pieces cut out in advance.  It doesn't need any hardware or glue, so sanding and staining would be about all that is left.

I will literally have these little ones for only one hour so most of the other suggestions won't work out very well.  Also, I can't let them use power tools of any sort for safety reasons in addition to the fact that there will not be enough time to teach them how and still get a project done.

I do appreciate the brainstorming very much.

Thanks,
Jim

Weekend_Sawyer

I always thought the Bill Ding blocks were neat. They hook together a bunch of different ways. The pattern is here. Once cut out kids could paint and draw faces and such.

http://balderstone.ca/BDtemp.jpeg

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

JimBuis

Jon,
I looked at the picture, but I don't get it.  What is it?

Jim

PineNut

It takes a set of these Bill Ding blocks. Note the protrusions on the shoulders, hands, feet. They hook together and make different balancing acts. For example the foot of one could hook over the shoulder of another and be out to the side. Well it would take one on each shoulder to make them balance.

If the blocks were precut, the children could sand them, draw on the figures and put a finish over them. Unfortunately, most of the work would be cutting out the figures, which the children would not be able to do. It may be possible for some of the older children to cut them out of some soft wood using a coping saw but expect their interest would give out before they made a set of them.

Weekend_Sawyer

Yep, what pine nut said, imagine the formations that cheer leaders form made out of wood figures. I plans for them in a wood working magazine years ago and never got around to making them.

I always thought they would be neat to do. Definatly have to precut them for kids and then let them decorate.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

SwampDonkey

Maybe some model airplanes. Don't have to be complicated. Just a fuselage, wings, tail. The fuselage could be cut out on a band saw and sanded smooth, cut slots on the fuselage for wings and tail wings with a narrow wood chisel. Wings could be cut from thin pieces on a scroll or band saw with narrow blade. Simple glue to hold her together. Got any basswood or similiar, but stable soft hardwood or maybe cedar? You could attach wheels to if you wanted. Drill a pilot hole on each side and screw a wheel on each side at the pilot hole. Get some paint for the windshield (gray/black?) and nose (red/blue?) and maybe a stencil for some simple lettering on the sides. You could do all the cutting/molding sanding ahead of time for the kids.

Do-able?  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Engineer

That's a nice little collection of stool samples.....   :D :D :D

SwampDonkey

Jim, you could simplify the task a little further by turning the fuselage on a lathe and make it a little more symmetrical  on the nose and tail.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

scgargoyle

I've done two projects w/ the neighborhood kids- birdhouses (I know, you don't need 'em) and little open top tote-type toolboxes. I was working w/ pretty young kids, so I pre-cut the pieces, and drilled pilot holes for nails. They were very proud to have their own toolbox that they had made! We used wood glue and nails, then painted them w/ leftover paints I had laying around. A piece of dowel makes the handle.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Jeff

Quote from: Engineer on December 18, 2006, 05:55:18 PM
That's a nice little collection of stool samples.....   :D :D :D

Anudder wize guy eh? :D

SwampDonkey

Man, I don't dare mention what I had to do today, but it involved a stick.  ::)  wait_smiley

Larry

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 18, 2006, 04:59:13 PM
Maybe some model airplanes. Got any basswood or similiar, but stable soft hardwood or maybe cedar?

Do-able?  ;)

Ya got full scale plans?

I just may know somebody that could supply dry basswood in all the proper sizes to construct such an aircraft. ;D ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D :D  8) I know your well blessed with the stuff. All we ever had was maybe a dozen mature ones on the hole farm (850 acres) and none other around for miles.  ::) Maybe you could send bark and all, we might be able to use some basswood rope.  ;D

beenthere

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 18, 2006, 07:39:56 PM
Man, I don't dare mention what I had to do today, but it involved a stick.  ::)  wait_smiley

Well.......I don't dare venture a guess either, specially when you say it involved a stick....... ::) :)
Might end up in the woodshed, den what ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Maybe....pick up an armload of kindling?  fire_smiley and talk a spell with the boss and red shirted Tom. Not so bad, eh?  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!