iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer log loader question

Started by Lance in Ontario, December 16, 2006, 05:06:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance in Ontario

Hi all
Last night I broke a hydraulic fitting on my log loader. The parts book calls it a "Velocity  Fuse" rated at 5 gpm. My question is can I bypass this fitting? I stopped at the local parts store and they said 8 weeks to get the part. I want to use it over the weekend but I dont want it throwing the logs over my head!
Lance

Minnesota_boy

The quick answer is yes.  Just be extra cautious about being near the loader with a log part way up as if a line should burst, the log will come down and roll out very fast without the velocity fuse.  Replace it as soon as possible for safety.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Bibbyman

We've had to do that in an emergency also. 

Did you check with Wood-Mizer?  I'm sure they can get you one a lot quicker.  Have you tried their new on-line parts ordering system?

Wood-Mizer Customer Gateway

Another thing I did was to have a machinist cut back the shoulder and rethread the end.

Link to "Handy things around the mill" where I wrote about this
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

DR_Buck

Another thing I did was to have a machinist cut back the shoulder and rethread the end.

Bibby,

What I don't understand is where it broke.   If it broke and you had it cut back and rethreaded, why are both pieces in the photo the same overall length?   

Is this trick photography? ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

beenthere

Dr Buck
Dont think it 'broke', and he just machined the 'nut' portion to give a longer male thread, it appears.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

MartyParsons

Wood-Mizer part # is 015832 it is a kit and includeds two fittings the price for the kit is $ 50.00. Wood-Mizer does not advise you to do anything but replace the failed part with the correct part. If you bypass the valve and forget or ignore to replace it and the hose failed when you least expect it. Bam  :o log falls on you or some one you care about gets hurt. You dont want that or does Wood-Mizer
Thanks Marty
There is a different part # for the LT70
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Bibbyman

Quote from: DR_Buck on December 16, 2006, 09:38:38 AM

Bibby,

What I don't understand is where it broke.   If it broke and you had it cut back and rethreaded, why are both pieces in the photo the same overall length?   

Is this trick photography? ;D

They look the same length because the upper one is broke too.  It's missing about two turns of thread on the right end.  Note the mid-section of the lower one how much shorter it is than they upper one.  He just pushed the sholder back a little on the hex section and ran a 1/4" pipe thread cutting tool up it. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

woodmills1

the velocity fuse is one part I keep in the glove compartment of the truck.  They break when frozen debri pushes into them.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!