iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log lifter/cant hook question.

Started by Steven A., December 15, 2006, 10:43:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steven A.

I've seen these cant hook log lifter things advertised and wonder if they are as handy as they say. 
Its like a cant hook with a t shaped bar on the opposite side of the handle. You are supposed to get a grip on the log and then sort of rotate it up onto the t shaped stand so its off the ground when you cut the log to length.

Heres a link to one at northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company.http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_7279_7279

Has anyone here used one? Worth buying?

gizmodust

When I got mine, I took a look at it and decided that the handle was too short.  I just left the 'T' off and use it for rolling.  I think the handle needs to be a little longer to be a good fulcrum.  Then again, that's just me.
Always liked wood with alot of character

beenthere

The time it takes to roll a log up onto this lifter, you can make 3-4 bucking cuts with the saw. Then you have to carry it along with you in the woods, unless you have a helper who will do it.

If bucking trees, this won't lift the tree. If the logs are large, this tool won't work. If bucking firewood, then usually one can find a spot where the cut can be made without hitting the dirt. Then for firewood bucking, I usually cut down from the top side until the kerf starts to close. After all the top cuts are made, use the cant hook to roll the log so the remainder of the cut can be finished.  I don't see a need for such a tool, but that's just one opinion here.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Fla._Deadheader

At's one-O-dem City Dude tools  ::) ::) :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Steven A.

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on December 15, 2006, 12:46:33 PM

At's one-O-dem City Dude tools  ::) ::) :D :D :D

Yeah, yeah, ok, I'll save my money......  ;D

Jeff

If you decide you really want one, buy a good one from LogRite to the left.  You can buy a good canthook  plus the lifting attachment. When you find out the lifting attachment is not what you envisioned, take it off and you still have the best canthook money can buy.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dan_Shade

I have one from logrite.  It has it's place, but it can be a real pain too, getting the log to sit on it as you are chunking off the end is a pain.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

rebocardo

I bought my wooden handled one (3 feet?) from Bailey's and it was great. It saved me a lot of labor moving logs and made it much easier to cut saplings and branches into firewood.

Then I made the mistake of using another member's Logrite tool while sawing some boards with him. Then I had to have that instead. So, I bought that blue tool from Baileys and found it was "great" and the first purchase was just good  ;)

I use the 6 foot Logrite peavey for moving logs and the wood handled cant hook with the stand for saplings and smaller branches.  Generally, I find it easier and quicker to use the Logrite to move, lift, or drag a sapling or branch where I can cut it to firewood length then using the other tool.

What I do is throw a round down and use the Logrite to roll and perch it on top so one end of the wood stays off the ground.

You really do not want to use the log lifter for anything over 10 inches or so (much less if over ten feet) and it has it limits. Generally you can only cut about 4 feet of the log, without putting it back down and lifting the wood again.

I would recommend the peavey over a cant hook if you do not own a saw mill. You can use it for prying (not a cant hook), for rolling, for getting up embankments (not a cant hook), PLUS, you can stick it in the ground (not a cant hook) instead of laying it down and picking it up multiple times.

Steven A.

Rebocardo, thanks for the info.
I think I'll buy a logrite peavey.
Would you care to give me advice on what length to buy?
I'm not cutting fire wood. I'm cutting saw logs and weed/wolf trees from 12" to 24" diameter. Most will be cut 8' to 16' in length. I'll have a 75hp 4wd tractor and loader there to skid and load.

I'd just buy the longest one unless it is so long as to be clumsy or difficult to carry around in the woods.
What do you think?

Steve.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention I'm not a big guy, only 5'8". That might make a difference.  :)

Dan_Shade

I have a 60" and a 48", I almost always use the 60", but in some cases, it's too big to hook onto a smaller log.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

rebocardo

> Oh yeah, forgot to mention I'm not a big guy, only 5'8". That might make a difference

Then get the 60 inch one. It will be big enough to move 24" oak with ease. Especially if you have a tractor for the occasional big fellar. I have moved 32" hickory fairly easy with the 60 inch (posted pictures in the Logrite topic). Plus, it is $50 cheaper and the shipping is cheaper.

When carrying through the woods, have the point facing backwards so you do not fall on it or put it into your foot if you slip. The grab hook is plenty sharp too.

Steven A.

Quote from: rebocardo on December 17, 2006, 10:14:27 PM
> . I have moved 32" hickory fairly easy with the 60 inch (posted pictures in the Logrite topic). Plus, it is $50 cheaper and the shipping is cheaper.

$50.00 cheaper and shipping cheaper?

Cheaper than what?  I do not understand.

Where is the least expensive place  to buy the 60" Logrite peavey? And the price?
Thanks, Steve.

rebocardo

Last time I checked the five foot peavy was $99 (now $89.95 at Baileys) and the six foot  peavy was $149.95. So, the five footer is much cheaper on purchase price.

Usually shipping something five feet long costs much less then six feet because of container/rack size. A six foot peavy will ship in a box almost seven feet long. You pay a premium for that length if sent UPS.

http://www.baileys-online.com

Click on log handling tools, then peavy. Or just call.

Raphael

I skid logs out to my mill on top of an old axle.
I've found the lifter is very handy for getting one end of the log up so I can slide the axle under it.
I've got LogRite's 60" Peavy and foot, they'll lift an 1,100 lb log without a complaint.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Wudman

I bought one of the Northern "Timberjacks".  The very first stick of wood I used it on, a piece of red oak about 14" on the small end, folded the stand up like a wet noodle.  The casting in the pivot actually tore apart.  I intended to carry it back, but to this day it is sitting in a corner of the shop.

Jeff 

"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Thank You Sponsors!