iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need Advice

Started by jackpine, December 14, 2006, 08:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackpine

I wanted to move the mill back a little in my yard to allow more room for customers trailers when they bring logs or pick up lumber. In order to do this I had to drop 3 white pines at the edge of the yard to make room.

In the direction they had to fall is an arc of 3 trees, a white pine @ 70 ft., a bur oak @ 79 ft. & a bur oak @ 99 ft. I estimated the first pine to be cut @ 85 to 90 ft. tall so notched it to fall toward the farthest bur oak. What I didn't take into account was that the pine was 96 ft. tall and that the bur oak top leaned toward the pine I was cutting :D Proceeded to break a fairly large limb on the oak about 35 ft. up that is now hanging by a stip of wood and bark >:(

Here is where I need your advice. As I see it I have 3 choices.

1 let it hang until it falls on it's own and hope nothings under it

2 Have Beenthere come up and shoot it off for me ;D as he has experience at shooting off limbs and at taking all the flack from this forum for doing so :D

3 Shoot it off myself.

What do you think?

Furby

How many houses are around?

DanG

I could comment here, but I think I won't. :-X ;D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

beenthere

;D ;D ;D  Does Paladin come to mind ::) ;D

Any pics?  Are you 'in town'  ???

PM your 1020
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Furby

Will this be a video op ???

mike_van

Seymour Smith makes a nice pole prunner set, 5' extensions that snap together. 35' up will make your arms ache for sure, but it's do-able - Or, there's the ladder option, get high enough to get a rope on it, tie it on the hitch & rip it off.  Or, lock & load, hope it comes off before the tree dies of lead poisining  :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

leweee

film at 6:00 & 11:00 :D :D :D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

limbrat

It may not be as exciting but northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company sell what they call a high limb chain saw. It is basicaly a .325 saw chain with every other cutter reversed and a .25 rope tied to each end. You through it over the limb take a rope in each hand and pull it back and forth. It works real good on limbs up to about 4" any bigger than that its better to make a two man saw out of it and stand apart or the limb well pinch the chain before you get it cutoff.
ben

jackpine

Beenthere, I thought Paladin used a six shooter, not a shotgun :D However there is about 2 miles of river bottom behind me so it wouldn't matter ;D

Sorry, no pics. Haven't joined the digital camera age yet.

blaze83

well shooting it down sure sounds like fun,  however if your in town or some other place were that won't work I'd try to get a rope on it.  what I use is a throughing weight and some parachute cord or 3/16" nylon rope.  I through the weight with the light rope attached, then when I get the cord situated were I want it I tie on the heavy rope.  if I can't pull it down by hand, I use my truck.   If you don't have a throughing weight, a sock filled about a quarter full of sand or old washers should work.

just an idea

Steve
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

rebocardo

On a large limb I would get a rope on the very end, stand a bit off in front of the branch and start swinging it side to side. It usually breaks the fibers and the branch will fall if it is heavy enough.

scsmith42

I vote for "#2".  That was a great thread and Beenthere's... we'll I guess that you could say that he's "been there"  :D   :D   :D 

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!