iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Growth Rates for different species?

Started by Dieselrider, December 14, 2006, 06:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dieselrider

Does anyone know of a source for information on very general or basic growth rates of different species of North American trees? I am sure the location and soil fertility and many other factors will have alot to do with growth rates but, I was looking for approximations. Thanks. :P :P :P :)
Always try to be the best, but never think you are the best.

SwampDonkey

Here's a figure from the Forestry Handbook of NS.

I recommend talking with your local state foresters, growth varies greatly by region. Climate and latitude makes a significant difference, let alone all the other factors.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Phorester

Don't know if that info is available or not.  Like you and Swamp say, there's so many factors that enter into it.  A tree in a forest will grow slower than one of the same species that's out in an open field, so the one in the field might grow faster than another species, but the one in the woods would grow slower than that other species.

In my area, white oak is the slowest growing tree.  Oaks in general grow slower than other species.  White pine and loblolly pine probably grow the fastest. So if I put these species, the slowest and the fastest, on each end of a growth chart, everything else would be classed as intermediate in growth rate.  Within that intermediate growth range, red maples probably grow faster than hickories.  Sumac grows pretty fast.  Black gum grows slow.  Ash grows faster than black walnut.  But this is just for my area of VA.

Beweller

If you are in the central hardwoods area, you can find usefull information in Ecology and Management of Central Hardwood Forests by R. R. Hicks, Jr.

I have seen info sheets describing ways to estimate particular site indexes, but I can't give any references.  Check with your local service forester.
Beweller

SwampDonkey

That information should be compiled as a Forest Site Classification manual. Most provinces have them here, so I'm sure either the USDA or Forest Service has such a thing.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tonich

Growth rates of different specie depending:
Ecologically - geographical and soil (site) features. (There should be а division by growth classes, according site class)
Biologically – genetics of tree species. (The more earlywood produce the species, the faster it grows)

Phorester

Site Index tables might be the closest thing to what you're asking for.  But they are usually made only for the more commercially valuable species, not all species, and are soil specific.  A SI table for one soil could show different growth rates for trees than a table for another soil.  Means that species A could grow faster than species B on one soil, B could grow faster than A on another soil. 

Age will also enter into growth rates and thus SI tables.  An example here is that, on a good pine site, loblolly will outgrow white pine for the first 20 or so years.  White pine will outgrow loblolly for the next 20 or 30.  They will be neck and neck after 50, but loblolly will eventually grow very slowly and just about stop in height increase, and white pine will eventually overtop it and keep on gaining height, but at a much slower increment each year than when it was young.

fuzzybear

A good example of differing conditions can be found up here in the north. A spruce planted in the south after 60 years can grow to 24" to 30" at the base. A spruce planted here in the north after 60 years will only be around 8" to 12".
   The reason for this is our growing season is in all reality only 4 months a year with an average of 18 hours of sunlight per day, and a winter of EXTREME cold and only 2-5 hours of sunlight.
   It is very hard sometimes to find the true age of a tree because the growth rings are so close together you have to use a mignifying glass to see them.  I have many 24" trees that are close to 400 years old.
I have noticed that in recent years with warmer temps and more rain the growth rings are expanding on the trees I have been harvesting.
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

snowman

If you want growth, THIN! I bought some land 25 years ago that was so thick you could barely walk through it and hardly anything would make a log. I spent every spare moment thinning it out mostly for firewood. Used alot , sold the rest. This winter im logging it and the growth rings tell the story.Before I thinned you need a magnifying glass to see the growth rings.At least I do, it's hell getting old. After the trees were released you can lay your fingers between the growth rings. That pretty much says it all.

Thank You Sponsors!