iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

box elder

Started by turningfool, December 13, 2006, 07:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turningfool

TexasTimbers

The moon sure is bright tonight. Almost can't see the stars for it. Good night.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

turningfool

i put a few answers to other box elder questions on some of the other forums categories that you had kevin..time to start turning some of that box elder yourself and seeing what its all about ,its properties and the enjoyment you'll get out of every cut with a sharp spindle gouge..would be more than happy to help you out getting started

turningfool

talked to kevjay a few days ago..DANG! what a nice guy! no wonder i like the forum so much..#1 in my favorites now

SwampDonkey

Kevjay....erm  ::)  I bet he says that to all the fellers when he gets a nice piece of turning stock, eh?  ;) :D ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

turningfool

went out and dropped a 28 dbh box elder last night. ..lots of red in it too..all end grain sealed and at the shop waiting to be turned.... :o...cant wait to dive into it!Neighbors kind of frown on me running the chain saw to pre round it at 5 a.m. tho..,guess i can wait a few more hours ;D..will try to cut a cookie to post a pic or two of it..all of my pics are web cam stills..no digital camera yet :)

leweee

Quote from: turningfool on January 07, 2007, 05:23:29 AM
Neighbors kind of frown on me running the chain saw to pre round it at 5 a.m.

:D :D :D and I thought I was the only one with neighbors like that. :D :D :D

P.S.  WOT modded muffler in the dark at 5 am....drives the natives ZULU. :o ::) :)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

TexasTimbers

Well heck then you don't need none of mine! I'll send yours to the left coast there's a guy out there in desperate need.

turningfool

by lots of red in it, it means by michigan standards..lots of red means about 15% as much as your does kev..but still purdy

TexasTimbers

I was foolin ya but I guess you knew that.

Show some pics when you can I am interested to see how it looks.

turningfool

will try to post a cookie pic tomorrow..if i cant get it to go on this page(not very computer savvy) it will be in my gallery pics

TexasTimbers

I see you already have posted to your gallery, so after that, you left click any picture in your gallery and it brings it to the forefront. Below in little tiny writing there is a line of text that says "Click to copy . . . ." something like that. Click it, and then go back to your browser you are making your post in. Left click in the text box where you want to insert the picture, and then hold down the  Ctrl key on your keyboard and while you are holding it down, press the "V" key and it will paste your picture there. You will only see a line of script but it will be there for you after you click post or preview.
It isn't hard. We can hook up on the landline if you want after you get them in your gallery and I can walk you thru it. you'll have it after that.

turningfool

here you go kevin..our michigan box elder

TexasTimbers

Ohhh that's purdy! 8) 8) 8)

turningfool

geez..i hope this works again..this is the top of the previous hollow form box elder pic

turningfool

you've created a mad man kevin..thanks again for the picture post help

TexasTimbers

See that ain't so hard! ;)
Man that is a nice bowl! I'm on the wrong end of this I can see y'all are having way too much fun. My end is work!

You should go ahead and post a few more while it is still fresh in yur mind though.

SwampDonkey

tf, that's great stuff. Do you go straight in with your gouge? Or is this a prep-turn before you let it dry some, to hollow it out more later?

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

turningfool

sd ..i usually dig right in so to speak with either a fingernail or bowl gouge from the start,whether from the original log form or after it dries to true it up before finishing.I generally do faceplate turning with some help from the centers if its too danged out of round at the beginning  gotta figure out a better way to sand and finish the hollow ..hard on the fingers sometimes :o

SwampDonkey

Working with wood in any way seems to be hard on the hands. As soon as this desk gets done, I gotta let my hands recover. This dang ash is as sharp as glass on the edges before sanding.  ::) ;)

turningfool

sd i've worked with ash myself and fully agree with you on its coaresness i use cornhuskers lotion and my hands are ship shape and ready to go the next day....but then i'm a tough old buzzard ;D

turningfool

a pic of some 152 year old(according to ring count) yew,i had soaked in PEG to insure no checking took place..i have since graduated from using peg..but happy i used it on this piece

Jeff

turningfool, try to up the dimensions of your photos so we can get a better look if you could.  :) You should have no problem optimizing a photo that is 350 to 400 pixles wide. Maybe even 450
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

turningfool

ok jeff,i will work on it :)

turningfool

finally snowing like mad here but will get those cookies i promised to you all asap..speaking of cookies..got some very special ones from kevjay this weekend..cant wait to get into them

Thank You Sponsors!