iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Antique Grader

Started by Tillaway, February 02, 2003, 04:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

We have a similar story here of a steam locomotive being sunk in Pine Lake south of Wellston. We've made underwater searches for it, but still have not located it. A lot of muck also.

The tracked grader would be a good collector's item for somebody.
~Ron

Tillaway

I know how I can get it out of there if the price is right.  

I have done some research or more apt some else has and I don't think it is a Trackson conversion.  I could be wrong though.  There was a company that was building tracked tractors near Chico, CA.  Form the pictures I saw this running gear looks more like thiers.  The manufacturerer was Diamond, I think.  Also Holt was also nearby as well and it also resembles thier running gears as well.  The drive sprocket and front roller don't look like a Trackson.  The pictures I have seen of Tracksons had solid drive sprockets and roller.  These are spoked.

I have more pictures available if anyone would like to see them I would be glad to e-mail them to you.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Bro. Noble

Tillaway,

Why not put them right here?  We all wanna see um.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Corley5

Let's see um.  If it wasn't in California I'd be interested.  Just getting it out of its resting place would be an adventure.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

Yea, whats up with that Mr. tillaway to much work to optimize? :D

Send um to me. I'll make em ourty and SEEABLE. Is that a word? :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tillaway

I'm not real good with the optimizer, the picture quality degrades a bit and these didn't turn out so well to begin with.

I use a crummy disposable camera.

Heads up Jeff, 1.5 megs coming your way.

Jeff

No worry I got cable. Thats only 5 seconds. ;D

Tillaway

QuoteNo worry I got cable. Thats only 5 seconds.

Oh yea well I've got.....ummm.....ummm, OK it was in the mid sixties today so take that.... ha. ;D ;)

Jeff

Show off. ;)

I shoveled my driveway in my shirt sleeves this morning till I got into the shade. Then I couldn't stand it and ran in for a coat. It was 3 above ;D

Tom

3 above what, 80?  Are you nuts?

CHARLIE

Jeff, you shoulda been in Tropical SE Minnesota shoveling in your shirtsleeves about 8:00 this morning. It was only -12 degrees, but it warmed up to about +14 by noon.  Hmmmmm, how can the word warm be used with +14? ::)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tillaway

Jeff was very nice and optimized the pictures for me.... I can't believe he fell for it. ;)

The track plate detail.

Front of tractor.

Good sized Doug Fir narrowly missed it.

The spoked drive sprocket leads me to believe that this is not a Trackpull, but who knows.

The front sprocket showing the adjuster.

Rear view showing tool box.  There are still spare parts in the tool box.

The front wheels handled the steering.

The controls and steering wheel.  The seat is missing.  The seat would be right above the radiator with the gear shift and pedals on extensions to the front.

Side view of tractor.

Front view.

Scott

I love old stuff like that. I live right by the mouth of the Saint John River and a long time ago the place was polluted with lime quarries. theres not much left but you can still explore the old pits and the lime smelters. One fun thing to do is cruise around old abondoned farms with a metal detector, never know what you'll find.

Paul_H

Tillaway,
A jug of fuel,and a couple of cans of WD40,and you'll be able to work your way right out of there.

It appears to be in good shape 8)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Brad_S.

One of these photos of the antique grader showed up on the front door page and I traced it back to this thread. Tillaway seems to be MIA at the moment, anyone know what became of his efforts to extract this? She's a beauty! ;)
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

sawguy21

This is fascinating.  There is a lot of interesting equipment laying in the bush and in farmyards. Apparently there are some relics from this expedition in the bush.
http://www.explorenorth.com/library/bios/bl-bedaux.htm
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Deadwood

Nice thread! My town actually still has an old horse drawn grader that is still in service. I am not sure if this is a testiment to the Town Of Thorndike's resolve to keep taxes low, or if it shows how antiquaited we are!? Actually the town loans out the grader to people who live on our many dirt roads. A few times a year people pull it with their tractors and grade their roads. It sure helps us because we do not have to have the grading contracted out, and it is a good way for people to help themselves at the same time. For me it's just nice seeing something old stiull put to the use it was intended for.

Now on the tracks. My Grandfather owned a pair of tracks like that from Fordson that bolted to his farm tractor...a Ford 900 with a wide front end. It helped the farmers and loggers up here in the Northeast get around in the winter. The tracks are long gone now, but the old boggies wheels were still sitting in the back forty the last time I was out there.

Thanks for bringing back some fond memories.

mometal77

Here is some other pics hope you like
http://www.rustreaper.com/gallery/
http://www.album-mmt.it/categories.php?cat_id=2&page=37
http://www.superpit.com.au/pages/photo.asp#
my father grew up in the interior of british columbia has a whole bunch of old pics of equipment in his cedar chest.  His father owned a logging outfit.  My grandfather moved everyone down to lynnwood,wa after his wife passed away.  I love it when i see old equipment.  Cat has a grader now they use i think it has a 25 foot blade amazing machine. I dont know how the heck the men of my grandfathers time survived?  The machines today are amazing.  I love the history channel.  Was a few broadcasts of machines up in alaska in the middle of no where how they got there was by horse or steam powered machines.  There was also one on coal mines how equipment today with one pass of this one machine moved more material than what men could do in one day working with there hands.
bobby
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Deadwood

When I worked for Union Pacific as few years ago, I worked mostly on the Powder River Subdivision...Wyoming Coal Country in other words. I set it up so that we could have a tour of Black Thunder Mine, the largest coal mine in that region. Surprisingly on another person on the crew went with me, but man was I glad I went.

We watched them scoop up 230 yards of overburden with one scoop of a dragline, haul 76 yeards of coal with one shovel, move 250 tons with a dump truck, crush coal and convey it for miles. Then they loaded the coal cars. One every 45 seconds, I know because I timed it. That is 122 tons of coal every 45 seconds.

What really amazed me though was how much coal they had left to mine. I asked him point blank how much coal was left and this was his answer:

"Right now we have mineral rights to last another 30 years, but the seam of coal itself goes right up into Canada. At our current rate of production, we have enough coal to last another 300 years."

I do not have a lot of pictures, but if you are interested in equipment I do have a section on some unique railroad equipment on my website I will share. I did not have a digital camera when I took the tour of that mine so I will have to scan them and put them on my website someday.

http://www.railroadmachinist.com/RR_Pics.html

sawguy21

mometal, where did your grandfather have his logging show? I grew up in southern B.C. There is lots of that equipment lying around on abandoned mill sites. Maybe it was old and worn out when it broke the last time or they were too broke to fix it.  Maybe it just outlived it's usefulness.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mometal77

Well my grandfather joined the usa navy in ww2 went into the CB's (construction builder) i believe building bridges after the war he was good at it and built roads and had his own logging crew.  I know he was all over from pitt lake up above to i will ask my father.  He grew up in a camp and his first pet was a baby black bear.   My grandfather died when i was 13 hospital put a food tube down his breather airway by mistake i missed out more things to do and stories.  Recently my dad has been looking at a British columbian reality site online and telling how his father where in those valleys and said it was some of the prettiest country in the world.  Cambell river i believe is another one and i think beutdale,bc I think there is an old cannery there and an old generator they have been trying to sell.  Such pretty country thank god for google and images to some of these towns.  Also i will get the site and more information later.  I do know after my grandmother died he bought the kids down to lynnwood,wa and his first job he removed all the houses for the interstate some might think that so what kinda attitude but if you have ever actually been on the outskirts coming into seattle from the north that is a lot of dirt and must have been a lot of houses.  I have an old book still he found in an old house dated 1880 about ordering equipment or what old plows and ironsmiths tools looked like.  A book on ebay a few months back like it went for over 400 dollars. 
bobby
bobby
Quote from: sawguy21 on November 08, 2005, 07:50:25 AM
mometal, where did your grandfather have his logging show? I grew up in southern B.C. There is lots of that equipment lying around on abandoned mill sites. Maybe it was old and worn out when it broke the last time or they were too broke to fix it.  Maybe it just outlived it's usefulness.
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Thank You Sponsors!